Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Anyone else eating like normal this Yom Kippur?

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 11:13 am
😥
My first year with this diagnosis. I need to ask every year again but this year was a hard no.
I need to eat like regular, and every mouthful is a mitzvah for me. I'm going to try not to eat in front of my kids though. I want to remember all the yom kippurs of the past Sad
Anyone with me? I feel like an alien.

amother
Chicory

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 11:18 am
I'm not eating, but my teenage daughter will be due to a medical diagnosis. I don't know if this helps you but someone shared this tefillah for those who need to eat on y"k. Just keep reminding yourself that your eating is the same as everyone else fasting. This is exactly what Hashem wants from you and you are fulfilling His will through your eating. Wishing you a gmar chasima tova and a year of health.

https://I.imgur.com/3KvMnmE.jpeg

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 11:36 am
amother Chicory wrote:
I'm not eating, but my teenage daughter will be due to a medical diagnosis. I don't know if this helps you but someone shared this tefillah for those who need to eat on y"k. Just keep reminding yourself that your eating is the same as everyone else fasting. This is exactly what Hashem wants from you and you are fulfilling His will through your eating. Wishing you a gmar chasima tova and a year of health.

Omein thanks so much! And to your daughter, and family too.
Really nice article, thank you!

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 11:52 am
This is the absolutely hardest thing. You feel left out of a club of holiness at least I did. This year I’m only going to drink enough to swallow meds. It’s very hard

amother
Dahlia  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 12:09 pm
Me
I always did some level of shiurim because of hypoglycemia but now that I have a heart condition I can’t fast at all

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 12:48 pm
Maybe I’m weird but I feel relief that I have a heter to fast out when I have certain symptoms.
I don’t feel guilt. I know that I’m doing what I need to protect myself and my baby, and the hours that I DO fast I will consider special

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 1:41 pm
The year I had to eat regular on yom kippur my brother told me a beautiful story of a rav (I can't recall which right now) that when he was told by his dr that he was too sick to fast and needed to eat, he exclaimed Hashem every year I served You by fasting. This year You want me to serve You by eating. It stuck with me and as hard a thing as it is to do, know in this case eating is as holy to you as fasting is to someone else.

Gmar chatima tova!

amother
  Dahlia

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 1:46 pm
I also comfort myself that they say that the shechina rests by bed of a choleh so likely my tefilos are worth more than someone who isn’t constantly suffering and not well

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 2:12 pm
Eating due to a medical heter.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 2:28 pm
amother Chicory wrote:

Thank you so much for this. I will be printing it out for dh who won't be fasting due to medical reasons. He's having a hard time accepting it.

Gmar chasima tova

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Oct 12 2024, 2:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
😥
My first year with this diagnosis. I need to ask every year again but this year was a hard no.
I need to eat like regular, and every mouthful is a mitzvah for me. I'm going to try not to eat in front of my kids though. I want to remember all the yom kippurs of the past Sad
Anyone with me? I feel like an alien.

What diagnosis is it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note