Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Swimming lessons for kids questions

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 12:08 pm
I live in a place with few pools and no male swimming instructors, and my son couldn't swim. Finally someone moved here and henis a swimming instructor.
He charges a lot of $ per class.

He focuses on different strokes and perfecting them. My son has gone for 5 lessons and still doesn't swim well. The pool is a shallow one, and he will swim half way pretty well and then stop, stand, and start again.

Is that a stamina/strength issue?
Will more lessons (davka lessons, not free swim) help that?
Is he pool safe?

He definitely has grown in ability the past few weeks, but he is not a pro.
Will 2 more lessons help?
Will 5?
I'm definitely not paying for more than 5 more.

Also, there are 5 boys in the group, so he isn't constantly being worked

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 12:10 pm
My kids needed 2 or 3 summers of lessons plus practicing often to swim properly.

rgr

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 12:11 pm
Is he doing rhythmic breathing? Practicing that can help his stamina

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 12:16 pm
rgr wrote:
Is he doing rhythmic breathing? Practicing that can help his stamina

No. Thank you I'm going to google.

He isn't breathing properly.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:27 pm
Bump

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:44 am
If he's doing lessons for the first time, I was told that first set of lessons is just to teach kids to be confortable in the water and not drown if they fall in.
I never understood why they spend so much time teaching kids how to "blow bubbles " in the water.
If you want your kid to swim, find(rent) a pool and take your child!

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:47 am
First year of lessons is to blow bubbles and front float. Maybe back float.
If an older kid can learn more
If a kid can float and kick to edge of pool it is a safety skill
The more they swim the more they can practice the skills they learn.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:51 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
My kids needed 2 or 3 summers of lessons plus practicing often to swim properly.

Yup same. And we have a pool in our backyard. If he's swimming halfway through the pool after 5 lessons he's doing great!

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 5:59 am
If you want more bang for your buck, supplement the lessons with free swim on your own time. It's important to do this while he's still taking lessons though, so he can practice what he's learning as he's learning and so he can keep building on his achievements during lessons. If you only do the free swim once lessons are done, it's a wasted opportunity for him to really get the most out of them.

Think of this with piano lessons. Imagine a kid takes 5 lessons and never once practices in between. Only once she's done does she start practicing at home. Maybe not a total absolute waste but definitely a missed opportunity.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 7:16 am
My kids are strong swimmers, motivated to learn and it takes a minimum of a full summer of lessons twice a week at least 12 lessons for them to learn how to swim well enough to pass a deep water test. Many kids in the groups need to come back another summer could be stamina or fear but it’s normal to take a while.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 8:06 am
5 lessons is very little, I typically say average is 10-12 lessons for a kid to be able to make it across the pool, about 10 more to get them water safe.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 8:10 am
It sounds like you have unrealistic expectations. He is doing really well for just 5 lessons. He also needs to be able to learn at his own pace. If you can only do 5 more lessons this year, wait for next year to sign up for more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps