Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
S/O child safety
1  2  Next

Do you stay with your young children while they are bathing
Yes  
 89%  [ 122 ]
No  
 1%  [ 2 ]
Check in every couple of minutes  
 8%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 136

Plonis bas Plonis

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 9:02 pm
amother Maize wrote:
If we would take a poll of all the parents on this board, do you really think that over 90% of them stay with their children in the bathtub the entire time, even when they are playing?

Honestly, I don’t know why I am putting this is controversial topics, it shouldn’t be controversial.

This is a spin-off of https://www.imamother.com/foru.....67243

ETA this is for very young children (1-3)

Last edited by Plonis bas Plonis on Wed, Jul 03 2024, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 9:08 pm
Everyone's living situation looks different.

The person who wrote that could be living in a 1-bedroom apartment where the bathtub is off the kitchen and across from the washing machine so she puts the toddler in the bath and putters around cleaning up from supper and doing laundry, sticking her head in and listening to him sing/talk the whole time.

The person who's horrified reading that could be living in a 2 or 3 floor house where the kids have their own bathroom and if you so much as walk down the hall, you can't hear or see anything.

Brit in Israel

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 9:11 pm
I'm assuming the poll is for the age 2 or 3 not 6 or 7

Once my kids are 4 if I need to do something from the same floor I will let them sit a couple minutes unsupervised but they have to answer me when I call their name which is every 30 sec or splash of water I hear.

Woman of Valor

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 9:28 pm
Brit in Israel wrote:
I'm assuming the poll is for the age 2 or 3 not 6 or 7

Once my kids are 4 if I need to do something from the same floor I will let them sit a couple minutes unsupervised but they have to answer me when I call their name which is every 30 sec or splash of water I hear.

A splash doesnt mean they are safe. Singing or talking does

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 9:29 pm
mushkamothers wrote:

The person who wrote that could be living in a 1-bedroom apartment where the bathtub is off the kitchen and across from the washing machine so she puts the toddler in the bath and putters around cleaning up from supper and doing laundry, sticking her head in and listening to him sing/talk the whole time.

The person who's horrified reading that could be living in a 2 or 3 floor house where the kids have their own bathroom and if you so much as walk down the hall, you can't hear or see anything.

I don't leave for nothing. My mom's friend's child drowned in the tub when she went to answer the phone. Distractions happen and then it's not safe. Don't get me started about the parents who don't supervise at all from a floor below. It's a pool. They need supervision!!

teachkids

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:24 pm
mushkamothers wrote:

Well said. When I do joint baths I empty the tub youngest to oldest, and dress in the room right across from the bathroom. I’m under 10 feet from the tub, still talking to the 3 year old, with a straight line of vision between us, but there’s officially a doorway between us.

I just started running downstairs to grab something while my 5 year old is in the shower.

seeker

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:30 pm
teachkids wrote:
Well said. When I do joint baths I empty the tub youngest to oldest, and dress in the room right across from the bathroom. I’m under 10 feet from the tub, still talking to the 3 year old, with a straight line of vision between us, but there’s officially a doorway between us.

I just started running downstairs to grab something while my 5 year old is in the shower.

If you maintain a straight line of vision and are within a few feet, then wouldn't that be called staying with the child? You haven't left. The poll didn't ask if you stay within arm's reach specifically.

teachkids

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:33 pm
seeker wrote:
If you maintain a straight line of vision and are within a few feet, then wouldn't that be called staying with the child? You haven't left. The poll didn't ask if you stay within arm's reach specifically.

That’s my point. I’m near the child, but officially it’s a different room so a nervous visitor (cough cough my MIL) might panic that I left the child alone (and then stand between me and sight of view of child to have a panic tantrum, leaving it impossible to watch child. Cough cough).

Plonis

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:35 pm
I do sometimes go to the laundry room (in hallway next to bathroom) to get a towel. It is outside of my line of vision though.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:37 pm
My 1yo stands up and falls. N way am I out of arm's reach! Also I only put 1-2 inches of water in for her. I often just shower her.

Brit in Israel

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 12:36 am
Woman of Valor wrote:
A splash doesnt mean they are safe. Singing or talking does

Right that's why if I hear a splash I am calling their name and they know they need to answer straight away. This is also only once they are 4 and I am confident with them being on their own for 2 mins if I need to get something from the same floor.
Until the age of 4 I am not leaving the bath side.

salsa

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 6:54 am
Whats the recommended age to supervise children? My child just turned five and thought I can leave her for min or two, but not sure. Have same q regarding cutting franks and grapes. At what age is it ok to stop?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 6:56 am
Salsa each country is different. Each ped and each generation, actually. To me 1 and 3 aren't the same.

jerusalem90

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 7:23 am
I just typed out a long reply with a lot of personal, controversial information about my family, then erased it because this forum is not amother enabled 🤣

enjoying kids

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 7:31 am
Eye opening.
My personal rule for myself is arm's length at all times until age 4-5. In bathroom until they graduate to showers. Right next to bathroom for showers until around age 8.
I bathe my kids much less frequently than most of you would consider acceptable, and now I know why. (We sink-wash other days.)

renslet

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 9:21 am
salsa wrote:
Whats the recommended age to supervise children? My child just turned five and thought I can leave her for min or two, but not sure. Have same q regarding cutting franks and grapes. At what age is it ok to stop?

For franks and grapes, it's not really an age, you have to actually teach your child how to eat them safely. And then practice a lot. Check out solid starts on Instagram or website

teachkids

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:53 am
Iymnok wrote:
My 1yo stands up and falls. N way am I out of arm's reach! Also I only put 1-2 inches of water in for her. I often just shower her.

I wouldn’t go out of arms reach for a one year old. Probably not even young twos. 2.5 is really when they start having some reasonable conversation skills to keep the chatter going and stop trying to Jill themselves in the tub.

Plonis bas Plonis

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 5:27 pm
Delete

Last edited by Plonis bas Plonis on Thu, Jul 04 2024, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 5:31 pm
seeker wrote:

She said she’s in another room dressing the other kids. When you’re dressing a kid your eyes are not on the child in the tub… not safe.

I honestly don’t understand taking chances.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 7:37 pm
I by mistake voted check every couple of min bec I thought you were referring to my 4 1/2 year old as young children. Before I read the OP
No way I would never leave a baby age 1-3, that’s extremely irresponsible
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics