Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help me help my dyslexic child practice Kria

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:23 am
He fights and fights and fights and fights. He can do it if it’s broken down but the minute he sees longer words he loses it.

He is going into first grade.

I am trying to see if I can afford an orton gillingham tutor to help with English, but I can’t afford a Hebrew tutor too.

Is there any way I can help him practice Kria over the summer without him hating it (I’m trying prizes, incentives).

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:26 am
Has he mastered just os nekuda? If not, stick to that for a while.
If yes, teach him to break simple 2 or 3 syllable words into syllables

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:27 am
Instead of getting an expensive tutor for English, a cheaper tutor so you can afford for both. (I tutor and I'm not Orton Gillingham trained and charge half of what others charge)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:29 am
amother Bronze wrote:
Has he mastered just os nekuda? If not, stick to that for a while.
If yes, teach him to break simple 2 or 3 syllable words into syllables

Yes he can read single words with nekudos. He fights me and says he can’t do it, but he does it with hardly any mistakes.

How do we break it into syllables?. I try to cover half the word and just have him read one part (letter nekuda) and then next part so it’s just one sound at a time. But he fights that so much

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:30 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:
Instead of getting an expensive tutor for English, a cheaper tutor so you can afford for both. (I tutor and I'm not Orton Gillingham trained and charge half of what others charge)

We were recommended orton gillingham specifically for his dyslexia, which may teach him skills also to improve at Hebrew

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes he can read single words with nekudos. He fights me and says he can’t do it, but he does it with hardly any mistakes.

How do we break it into syllables. I try to cover half the word and just have him read one part (letter nekuda) and then next part so it’s just one sound at a time. But he fights that so much

Breaking into syllables would be by each nekuda sound. You can put a line before each letter with a nekuda and try to get him to focus on them separately. But it still might be hard for him.

Maybe you can try encoding with him. It’s actually a great way to train his brain in the other direction. Instead of seeing the letters and nekudos and having to think of the sounds, you tell him the sounds and he has to come up with the letters and nekudos. For children whose kriah is weak this can actually be pretty difficult. I do find it’s more fun though, if you use a dry erase board or magnetic letters. Ask him to write the “day” and he will have to think of the daled and the tzeirei.

Then you can try phonemic awareness activities. If he has the word “challah” written, ask him if he can change it to “mallah”. He has to erase the ches and make a mem. This makes him really think. And kids find it much more exciting than reading.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:38 am
amother Calendula wrote:
Breaking into syllables would be by each nekuda sound. You can put a line before each letter with a nekuda and try to get him to focus on them separately. But it still might be hard for him.

Maybe you can try encoding with him. It’s actually a great way to train his brain in the other direction. Instead of seeing the letters and nekudos and having to think of the sounds, you tell him the sounds and he has to come up with the letters and nekudos. For children whose kriah is weak this can actually be pretty difficult. I do find it’s more fun though, if you use a dry erase board or magnetic letters. Ask him to write the “day” and he will have to think of the daled and the tzeirei.

Then you can try phonemic awareness activities. If he has the word “challah” written, ask him if he can change it to “mallah”. He has to erase the ches and make a mem. This makes him really think. And kids find it much more exciting than reading.

Ya that’s what we’ve been doing. He can do it but he fights.

Interesting, thanks for the activity ideas I’ll try those with him

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:40 am
amother OP wrote:

How do we break it into syllables?. I try to cover half the word and just have him read one part (letter nekuda) and then next part so it’s just one sound at a time. But he fights that so much

Firstly, kudos for you for catching this and working on it at this age. As one mother to another, it took me longer to understand the issue and start addressing it.

If he is able to do it as you wrote, with hardly any mistakes, then it sounds like the issue is really about how to motivate him. I would use both immediate incentives and bigger ones. For example, if he reads for 5 minutes he gets a prize, and if he reads 5 minutes a day for 5 days in a row, an additional bigger prize. You need to figure out an offer that he can't refuse to make it worth his while.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:21 am
Where in the world are you located? I might have a set of kriah books for dyslexics that you can have location dependant.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:51 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Firstly, kudos for you for catching this and working on it at this age. As one mother to another, it took me longer to understand the issue and start addressing it.

If he is able to do it as you wrote, with hardly any mistakes, then it sounds like the issue is really about how to motivate him. I would use both immediate incentives and bigger ones. For example, if he reads for 5 minutes he gets a prize, and if he reads 5 minutes a day for 5 days in a row, an additional bigger prize. You need to figure out an offer that he can't refuse to make it worth his while.

Tried everything in terms of prizes and motivation. Nothing doing.lol

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:52 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:

And thanks. We left him back an extra year in pre 1 a because I thought there were some learning issue and it gave us time to figure it out before 1st grade

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:53 am
amother Gold wrote:
Where in the world are you located? I might have a set of kriah books for dyslexics that you can have location dependant.

Midwest, I don’t want to be too specific publicly. But I probably can pay you to ship them too

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:56 am
As a mother who was diagnosed dyslexic at around 8, and who also is currently dealing with kriya challanges with my 5 year old son, and my 11 year old whos bh fluent already at this point, first and foremost you must work on his confidence in his ability to learn and know.
Go over with him the most simple things again and again and shower him with compliments.
My sons class is starting chumash in a few weeks. He's barely decoding basic simple words. But he's excited to try and practice now whereas in the beginning he was impossible to pin down to get him to work on his reading.
I call him my "talmud chacham" cuz he learns so well and he's growing and shteiging. And he's bright and smart and sharp and listens well in class and learning every day.....
I keep boosting his confidence in any and every way. Giving him tasks he likes doing and will make him feel all Macho. Like I'll ask him to change the batteries of his baby sisters toys. Now he'll have to unscrew the cover, pick out the correct batteries from the battery case, put the new batteries in the right way and screw it back closed. Then dispose of the old batteries and put everything away. Every step gets praised.
His sister is delighted her toys working again and he feels like he's the Macho man who saved the day. He's invincible. He's strong. Powerful. He saved the day! 💪
Luckily he's a stinkin' cute boy with amazing social smarts bh.
In the past he felt small and insignificant and incompetent becuase he's the only boy, a very gentle soul, he'd hang put with the smaller boys and felt bored with their company.
We got him a walkie talkie like the big boys
And took off his training wheels last month when he turned 5.
Now he's part of the "in" crowd. He has a ton of friends in the neighborhood and feels like part of the big boy crew.
His confidence grew. And with it, his tolerance of kriya practice.

I saw similar with my daughter. Her kriya teacher in pre1a and first grade were a royal disaster. She was in 1st grade in 2019-2020 so that didn't help either.
Her english and yiddish spelling is still absolutely HORRENDOUS. But she can read english, yiddish, lushon kodesh very fluently.
And were still working on her spelling skills. All a work in progress.
With boys it's different though becuase mastering kriya is the foundation of everything they will learn. (Until kita daled when they start learning english here)

oohlala

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 11:24 am
amother Calendula wrote:

According to reading research this is the best activity! Strengthens reading, spelling and phonemic awareness at the same time! Use a white board or cards.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 3:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Tried everything in terms of prizes and motivation. Nothing doing.lol

Hmm there has to be something that motivates him. If not in the nosh or prize category, maybe in spending time with you doing an activity? But it sounds like there's a lot of negativity. You need to get past this hump to convince him that he's capable. I would say break it down even more. Not 5 minutes of kriah, maybe he just reads 5 syllables to get the prize on day 1. And reward his effort until he's happy to read the 5 syllables without fighting you. Then slowly raise the bar.

Hatzlocha.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:23 pm
Have you seen Seder Kriah? It's based on Orton Gillingham and is made like a fun workbook = intrinsic motivation.
https://www.torah4children.com/seder-kriah

I'm planning on using it for DD this summer.

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:15 pm
Hebrewscouts.com has great resources and blog articles. In general.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics