Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
It's 7:22 am and my kids are BORED!!!!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 4:28 am
They watched a video already taken without my permission. They played game boy already. They are BORED!
What does it come from for kids to get up so early?? They don't go to sleep that early.
They're up every day at 6ish no matter what time they went to sleep. And they are almost in their teens.

bestme

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 4:33 am
They might be waking up early to take advantage that you are sleeping. Make a rule of no coming out of bed before 7:00.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 4:35 am
bestme wrote:
They might be waking up early to take advantage that you are sleeping. Make a rule of no coming out of bed before 7:00.

It won't help. They sleep right near me and they'll be acting wild and rowdy in their beds. I'd rather they go out and not wake me up at 6.

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 4:36 am
Hm, my kids are usually up around 6 30 but they're asleep early too.

How about you invest in some books and leave it in their rooms. Perhaps they can do chores or homework Very Happy

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 5:32 am
Breakfast, davening, some like to take a bath. Take out crafts. Begin the day! 7:20 is day already.

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 5:34 am
bestme wrote:

"they are almost in their teens"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 5:36 am
amother Sunflower wrote:
"they are almost in their teens"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much more so that you can make a quiet rule for before 7

ETA why the hug? What's not reasonable about expecting preteens not yell, shout, and fight between 6-7 am?

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 5:38 am
A kid who’s used to screen time will be very quick to say they’re bored when they don’t have a screen.

Also, they’re almost teens, they should be able to take some responsibility for entertaining themselves. Make it a game. Tell them to brainstorm acitivitiws that can keep them busy each morning this summer. Maybe a new hobby or skill they want to learn. Give them a budget and tell them you’re willing to drive them to pick up what they need. There are many fun type of crafts they can do for an hour each morning. Offer to take them to the library to choose new “morning” books for each week.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 5:43 am
They can go to shul and after have a 1hr chevrusa
Then come home for breakfast
Reward them with a great breakfast

If they are sneaking screen time the screens need to be stored away in your room over night

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 5:47 am
I don’t understand why such old kids don’t have a proper routine set up. They should know you get up quietly, get dressed, daven, eat, and then read or do something quietly. Also you don’t have to provide entertainment. They can sit and be bored. They need to learn how to keep themselves busy. And lock up the devices and put passwords on them. You get to set the rules in your house.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 5:58 am
Are they in camp? How many hours of the day are you trying to fill?

If they are not in camp - no screen until 11 o’clock. Go to the library on Sunday and take out books. Read. Daven. Go online and research other activities to do at home.

If they are almost in their teens, then they are certainly old enough to not need a cruise director starting at 6 o’clock in the morning.

Comptroller

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 6:04 am
amother OP wrote:
They watched a video already taken without my permission. They played game boy already. They are BORED!
What does it come from for kids to get up so early?? They don't go to sleep that early.
They're up every day at 6ish no matter what time they went to sleep. And they are almost in their teens.

Why don't you teach them to play an instrument?

on your instrument, you can never practise enough, you can spend as much time as you want, and you will never be bored!

They could also take up ballet or a sport - same thing: practise, practise, practise, no more boredom forever!

Or they could learn to draw. Same thing: Practise, practise, practis, plus you can do something with the pictures.

or they could write a novel. Same thing: write, write, write, and maybe they will be published.

Or they could learn to knit, crochet, needlepoint, patchwork, make dresses: practise, practise, practise, plus you have tangible results that you can use.

Or they could take up pottery, woodworking, etc.

How come so many children do not have creative hobbies?

Aurora

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 6:28 am
If my kids tell me they're bored, I tell them to clean their room, or wash dishes, or help with some other chore.

I also make sure to have arts/crafts things available, books, and toys. "If you're bored, do chores. For options, see..."

Somehow they magically figure out how to entertain themselves.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 6:41 am
Are your teens sleeping in your room? Why is that?

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 7:01 am
Comptroller wrote:
Why don't you teach them to play an instrument?

on your instrument, you can never practise enough, you can spend as much time as you want, and you will never be bored!

They could also take up ballet or a sport - same thing: practise, practise, practise, no more boredom forever!

Or they could learn to draw. Same thing: Practise, practise, practis, plus you can do something with the pictures.

or they could write a novel. Same thing: write, write, write, and maybe they will be published.

Or they could learn to knit, crochet, needlepoint, patchwork, make dresses: practise, practise, practise, plus you have tangible results that you can use.

Or they could take up pottery, woodworking, etc.

How come so many children do not have creative hobbies?

I had some as a kid but in the frum world today we seem to be unable to allow our kids unstructured time. We keep seeing posts about how bad it is that kids have no structure after 430 PM. But truly they should be OK with a few hours. Even without friends. Learn a hobby!! What did they do during covid lockdown? No friends and no activities.
Let kids be kids.
Otherwise they will constantly need stimulation and be unable to make themselves satisfied. Because they aren't on a helicopter or swimming or surrounded by people.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 7:12 am
They have Adhd. I unofficially allow screen time because otherwise they'll be jumping on each other's heads.
They hate reading.
My question is more what makes not such young kids get up so early?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 7:12 am
dankbar wrote:
Are your teens sleeping in your room? Why is that?

They're not in my room. Their room is near mine.

mfb

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 7:22 am
Get proper room darkeners that don’t let any sunlight in. The curtain style not roll down shade. Because with the roll down shade sun comes in on the sides.
It gets light very early these days

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 7:24 am
mfb wrote:
Get proper room darkeners that don’t let any sunlight in. The curtain style not roll down shade. Because with the roll down shade sun comes in on the sides.
It gets light very early these days

Tks. Was thinking about this. But even in the winter when it's still dark they get up the same early.

mfb

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 7:25 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title
I have these in navy and the room is really dark. I don’t think the light colors will work as well.
Try this and see
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics