Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Would you choose this life?
1  2  Next

SunshineGirl

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:01 pm
If you weren’t born and raised as a Jew, would you convert to being one?

If you WOULD convert, would you live as frum you are living now? What traditions would you keep? What traditions would you get rid of if you had the opportunity to do so?

No wrong answers, just curiosity.

1ofbillions

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:16 pm
I don’t think so. This life is so hard. I’d love to have the option of just following the noahide laws and getting olam haba.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:17 pm
Probably not. It’s rare. Most of us stay the way we’re raised.

yachnabobba

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:17 pm
Yes. My life has meaning and beauty. It’s hard but purposeful

mudpies

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:34 pm
I don't know if I'd have the guts or the courage to convert had I not been born this way. Change is hard and to leave your family and friends and everything you know is a very big deal.
But I feel extraordinarily lucky that I was born frum! I am so grateful that this is the life I grew up with. It's the most wonderful way to live I could imagine!

Chloe22

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:35 pm
No

Mermaidinexile

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:37 pm
Absolutely in a heartbeat
I love being frum (MO if that makes a difference)

kneidelmeidel

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 2:57 pm
Love love love this question! Have thought of posting similar many a time!

As a deep thinker, and searcher, I would hope my journey led me here. I am very lucky to live WAY out of town, in a kiruv role, which means I get to look through the peephole of frum life, take what I want, and leave the idiotic bits behind.

My aspiration is not to be frum, rather to be a Halachically sound, mindful, good person, striving for growth and good Jewish choices.

lovingmommy3417

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 2:59 pm
I did choose it bh:) and yes I am very happy with being frum. It is a beautiful and meaningful way of life. Other things I would like to change in my life have nothing to do with being frum.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 2:59 pm
I think yes. I think I'd be chardal though.

Chaya rachel

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:05 pm
No. I would not.

Peersupport

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:12 pm
Probably not. But I'm glad I was born this way.

SunshineGirl

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:20 pm
kneidelmeidel wrote:
Love love love this question! Have thought of posting similar many a time!

As a deep thinker, and searcher, I would hope my journey led me here. I am very lucky to live WAY out of town, in a kiruv role, which means I get to look through the peephole of frum life, take what I want, and leave the idiotic bits behind.

My aspiration is not to be frum, rather to be a Halachically sound, mindful, good person, striving for growth and good Jewish choices.

This is an amazing response. I love it! You sound like someone I would love to be friends with in real life. I also hope to be a Halachially sound person.

SunshineGirl

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:23 pm
Chaya rachel wrote:
No. I would not.

Care to explain why not? No pressure to do so!

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:31 pm
It is very hard to become frum.

You lose your former parents, family, friends and maybe livelihood. Sometimes you are not fully accepted in frum community.

If I was not frum but Jewish I would become BT if I knew I was obligated to keep the mitzvos.

But if non jew, I don't know if I could do it.

I could just be a Noachide.

I am really happy I was born frum.

beeestee

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:37 pm
Yes! Yes! Yes! BH! There is nothing more fulfilling and meaningful than a frum way of life!

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 4:55 pm
Highly doubtful. Those who say they love being frum might be just as happy if they had been born into a family of devout something else. Seventh-Day Adventists,maybe, or Catholic, Moslem, Amish or Hindu. Or Noahide. Most people believe what they were taught to believe.

leah233

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 5:10 pm
zaq wrote:
Highly doubtful. Those who say they love being frum might be just as happy if they had been born into a family of devout something else. Seventh-Day Adventists,maybe, or Catholic, Moslem, Amish or Hindu. Or Noahide. Most people believe what they were taught to believe.

Of course the converse is also true. These type of threads show up every once in a while. A lot of people here are clearly under the illusion that had they not been born frum, they would have born into a wonderful upper middle class non-Jewish family, everyone they would form relationships with in life would be lacking the flaws of those who they are currently in a relationship in, opportunities that they don't have now would have been flowing their way and of course they never would have gotten involved with anyone or anything pertaining to the sordid parts of the non-Jewish world...

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 5:23 pm
Yes

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 5:24 pm
zaq wrote:

Many women are not happy in devout Muslim communities.

And devout xtian families are rare these days.

Your statement may have been true 60+ years ago, but AMerican culture today is Sedom.

I and others, are true glad we are not part of today's immoral, confused, anxious and unhappy culture.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics