Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Why am I not losing

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:59 pm
I am trying to get off stubborn 15-20 pounds left from pregnancy, but I bh have a few little kids and a 6m old baby, so I can't devote endless energy to it.

This is what I have been doing, I thought its pretty healthy, but the weight isn't really moving, plus I am sometimes hungry Sad

Breakfast is coffee with homemade ww banana muffin (no sugar, bit of maple syrup)
around 1130 is bowl of oatmeal with a cup of blueberries

lunch is usually a smoothie of plain greek yogurt, strawberries, almond butter, dates
I really dont love salad so this is better
afternoon is hardest cuz I'm home with the kids, I try to eat nuts, cut up veggies with chummus

dinner is any kind of chicken, usually spiced, sometimes breaded or with duck sauce or BBQ sauce, although I try not to, with roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes

I usually have some kind of homemade healthy treat in the evening with tea, to relax

I also drink lots of water, and try to go wallking around 20 min every day, dont really have time for more intense workout at this point

What else can/should I do that wont be a huge effort in my current life to help the scale move?

RG2

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:04 pm
Most of what you’re eating is carb heavy. When you eat carbs, pair them with a flesh protein and healthy fat. Adding fibrous veggies helps even more. If you can eat more meals like your supper you are more likely to lose.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:30 pm
Here’s how I’m losing weight
Lots lots of water

Mainly vegetables,
A serving of lean protein
A healthy carb

Use my plate for guidance

Snack only when hungry (not for comfort or boredom I’m talking to myself too that’s my weakness)

Weigh yourself once a week to stay accountable

Double check that the veggies aren’t fattening lite dressing - lemon oil type
a spritz bottle is helpful

Shabbos a half a slice of challah along with a lot of vegetables and a healthy protein,

Try to keep it up on shabbos too so you’re not losing and regaining over shabbos. 🙈

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:34 pm
When I have been most sucessful in losing weight I focus on high protein, lots of fruits and veg, low carb, and low fat.
Swap out oatmeal for some eggs, cut down on nuts, nut butter, humus. Focus on fruits and veg. Lean proteins like eggs, chicken breast, and beans.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:58 pm
Try to cut the almond butter and maple syrup.
What do you have as an evening treat? If you cut that out it could make all the difference

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 2:44 pm
First of all know that you are amazing that you care about your weight!
Maybe try to follow a certain diet plan that might be a little bit harder but will make you feel like you are doing the right thing as it usually is well worked out and has more food ideas and support.
From my own experience dieting on my own never worked for me, I had to know that I am following something that is not made up on my own but something that allready worked for people to loose weight.
I can share what I do if you are interested it works really well when breastfeeding, they have a website if you can't go to a group as it is only in Europe or London.
Good luck I'm sure you'll reach your goal!

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:44 pm
I don't advocate calorie counting because it often leads to self-defeating abuses like consuming a quart of ice cream (150 calories per half cup times eight half cups per quart=1200 calories) and calling it a day. However, you may want to calculate your current caloric intake for a few days just to see how much you're really racking up. It may be more than you realize. Measure honestly what you consume, because we tend to be conservative in our estimates. Serving sizes per nutrition labeling are often less than we think (Except veggies, when IME it's always more than we think.)
A serving of hummus is usually four level tablespoons if you're consuming it as your protein for a meal. As an add-on, a serving is considerably less. A serving of oatmeal is just 1/2 cup after it's cooked, unless you measured the serving size raw. If you slather on the salad dressing, you slather on the calories. No need to drown your salad: practice measuring a teaspoon or two and mixing it well with the veggies instead of adding the two tablespoons that the label states as a serving.

If your intake is not especially high, you may have simply plateaued. This happens when your body has gotten used to your new way of eating and is using the calories more efficiently (thanks for nothing). To kick your body into higher gear, you would ideally up your physical activity by some and cut your consumption by some. Just a bit, to nudge your metabolism out of its comfort zone, not starvation and not exercising like an Olympic contender.

Google how to calculate how many calories it takes to maintain your current weight, then "lose" 500 calories a day to shed roughly a pound a week. You can do this by eating less, moving more, or, ideally, some of both.
Be aware that hormones influence metabolism so this isn't foolproof week after week. And you don't need to count calories every day. Google "DASH diet"and "Mediterranean diet" for general guidance on menus for different calorie levels. Following the basic plan of either one will allow you to lose without worrying about calculating your daily intake. The idea is to be in the ballpark, not to consume exactly 1200 or 1500 or 1800 calories every day. These diets are not designed specifically for weight loss, but are highly recommended healthy eating plans that were designed to prevent or relieve hypertension (DASH) and heart disease. They've also been shown to have other benefits such as improved brain health. For weight loss, simply choose a daily calorie plan lower than your current caloric intake.

Also, if you exercise and build muscle, you may lose more in the way of inches than pounds because muscle takes up less space, pound for pound, than fat.

Genius

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:16 pm
Almond butter, maple syrup, chummus and nuts are all healthy, high calorie foods. Your healthy mezonos might also be heavy on the calories.

Try to increase your proteins and lower your fats.

Summer fruits are easy to grab. Nectarines, peaches, cherries, grapes all make for uncomplicated snacks.

Good luck

BmoreBubby

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 10:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am trying to get off stubborn 15-20 pounds left from pregnancy, but I bh have a few little kids and a 6m old baby, so I can't devote endless energy to it.

This is what I have been doing, I thought its pretty healthy, but the weight isn't really moving, plus I am sometimes hungry Sad

Breakfast is coffee with homemade ww banana muffin (no sugar, bit of maple syrup)
around 1130 is bowl of oatmeal with a cup of blueberries

lunch is usually a smoothie of plain greek yogurt, strawberries, almond butter, dates
I really dont love salad so this is better
afternoon is hardest cuz I'm home with the kids, I try to eat nuts, cut up veggies with chummus

dinner is any kind of chicken, usually spiced, sometimes breaded or with duck sauce or BBQ sauce, although I try not to, with roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes

I usually have some kind of homemade healthy treat in the evening with tea, to relax

I also drink lots of water, and try to go wallking around 20 min every day, dont really have time for more intense workout at this point

What else can/should I do that wont be a huge effort in my current life to help the scale move?

Got to cut down on the sugar, including the dates and maple syrup. I would also suggest no muffin at all in the morning, try to stick to water and coffee until your 1130 oatmeal.

Also, it's great that you're walking, keep that up, but see if you can squeeze in 10 minutes of resistance (muscle) work 3x/ week - like squats or push ups (at your level, even push ups on a table or chair). But squats work the big muscles of the legs which burn the most calories AND builds strength there which is important. There are videos and some audio that I have benefited from in this area on https://torahhealth.org.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise