Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When it’s too hot…

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 1:05 pm
What do you do with your active toddler when it’s way too hot to play outside, you live in a tiny apartment…and we don’t really have friends walking distance to go to. Maybe one but we could go there for maybe an hour.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 1:08 pm
Bath is a built in pool. Morah music.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 1:09 pm
Indoor play spaces or children's museum. Visit the library. Go to a big air conditioned store and browse. Take a walk in the mall.

teachkids

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 1:22 pm
Do any of your local parks have a sprinkler?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 1:22 pm
Yes I do all these during the week. Every single day I take him out. What do I do on shabbos?

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 1:50 pm
Play games indoors. I play throw the blocks in the bucket with my toddler when we’re bored of making towers 🤷‍♀️
Or you can get a abc mat and shout out a letter make him jump to that letter.
You can also get a water table if u want to play outdoors and get the spray bottles to spray their faces.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 1:56 pm
I would put my older ones to sleep at 7 when they were that age so the shabbos wasn’t that long

amother
Cognac

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 2:03 pm
Welcome to the life of all of us who are indoors all Shabbos with babies and toddlers and no Eruv.
We take walks up and down the steps and around the lobby.

amother
Cognac

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 2:04 pm
giftedmom wrote:
I would put my older ones to sleep at 7 when they were that age so the shabbos wasn’t that long

Oh yes! Leaving only 12 hours from when they wake up... Wink

giftedmom

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 2:05 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
Oh yes! Leaving only 12 hours from when they wake up... Wink

lol yeah… trying to think back how we survived…

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 2:06 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
Welcome to the life of all of us who are indoors all Shabbos with babies and toddlers and no Eruv.

At least you have a lobby.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 2:39 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
At least you have a lobby.

I’m not in a building. Of course we play tons of games and read tons of books and destroy the entire apartment. But I still don’t know how I’ll survive. Maybe I should wake him up at 6, go out while it’s still bearable and then take a long nap in the middle of the day Tongue Out

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 2:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m not in a building. Of course we play tons of games and read tons of books and destroy the entire apartment. But I still don’t know how I’ll survive. Maybe I should wake him up at 6, go out while it’s still bearable and then take a long nap in the middle of the day Tongue Out

Oh those days were rough. I had 2 toddlers and a baby in a tiny apartment with no eruv. Shabbos was brutal.
Things that helped were having a schedule, davening circle time, snack time, nap time, setting the table time etc and having specific toys only for shabbos

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 3:42 pm
Can you invite a friend for him? Ask the mother to hang out with you while they play. Alternate houses each week so no one has to do all the walking. Have ices or frozen fruit ready when they get to you.

If you live in an area with no eruv and this is your youngest, give the toddler a backpack with water, snack, diaper. You can go to a friend who is farther. Ask for ice water when you get there. Take lots of stops along the way for your toddler to drink, get distracted, snack, etc.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 1:20 pm
We do exercise to get energy out. I'll have my toddler run around the house, or do stuff like 'crawl like a lion, slither like a snake' etc. We sing songs while he dances, etc. It's hard when it's really too hot to get out or you can't because you don't have an eruv. Summer shabbasos are long... We also try to break up the day by having the seudah later, shabbos party at some point in the afternoon, and an earlier shalosh seudos. Special shabbos toys. Nothing to actually solve the problem, but all these make it easier and more bearable.
Following to hear more good ideas.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 1:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

I was actually going to suggest this. It doesn't have to be six. Eight in the morning is normally still cool enough to be pleasant outside.

amother
Clear

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 6:23 pm
amother Cognac wrote:

Lol that was me, 5 kids under 6, no Eruv.... So couldn't go out even when it wasn't too hot to go out..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics