Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Psa: Spin off- not having access to $

notshanarishona  

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 4:39 am
There are so many ways to access $, no one should be going to bed starving. I am not talking from a high horse, I know what it’s like to be poor, we have about $120,00 in debt , and there have been times I have had $0 in the bank, but I always have my emergency back up of $ to put on a credit card (currently have about $50,000 line of credit). When there is no $ I move things around from credit card to credit card ( balance transfers) or open a new card with a sign up bonus .obviously every well eventually runs dry but there are so many ways to access $. There are gemachs that will loan interest free. Once when $ was very tight with me in the hospital the federation paid our mortgage as a one time thing. The Hebrew loan society has also offered us interest free loans.
Also if someone owns a home and they don’t have $, they can always take a heloc out.
I strongly suggest anyone who is super tight to look into options, no one should literally not be able to access $1 for a bag of pasta in todays day and age.
Also there are so many little jobs one can do on the internet to make a few $ from surveys, to testing things on aps, to trying out products, to typing/ transcription, to tutoring to making videos . Obviously it won’t solve the bigger picture but it can buy dinner.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 7:13 am
How do I find a typing or transcription job ?

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 7:30 am
https://www.google.com/search?.....UTF-8

Genius  

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 9:52 am
That ops problem was that she had money in the bushes.
A typing job won’t help if the person who hired you, fails to send the payment.
Paying people when they get the jobs done must be a priority.
I also would not advise people to drei with gelter. It’s not a smart idea to pay off loans with loans. There’s potential to end up with hundreds of thousands of dollars interest debt. Rather, take money from tzedaka and pay them back when you’re back on your feet hopefully quickly bez”h.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 10:59 am
Genius wrote:
That ops problem was that she had money in the bushes.
A typing job won’t help if the person who hired you, fails to send the payment.
Paying people when they get the jobs done must be a priority.
I also would not advise people to drei with gelter. It’s not a smart idea to pay off loans with loans. There’s potential to end up with hundreds of thousands of dollars interest debt. Rather, take money from tzedaka and pay them back when you’re back on your feet hopefully quickly bez”h.

I know a lot of people who work for themselves and don't get paid when they're supposed to. They have to chase after money
It's all good an well to say they should pay (and they should!) but that won't change the reality of a negative bano balance. You have to deal with the reality at hand.

Genius

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 12:12 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
I know a lot of people who work for themselves and don't get paid when they're supposed to. They have to chase after money
It's all good an well to say they should pay (and they should!) but that won't change the reality of a negative bano balance. You have to deal with the reality at hand.

For sure! The comment about paying being a priority was for all of us in this position, to take that thread as an inspiration and pay as soon as possible. (It’s a halacha that most people ignore for some reason, to pay the day the work got done) Not for the ones struggling with collections.

amother
Cornsilk  

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 1:44 pm
Just mentioning that we used credit cards when it seemed urgent and we had no money in the account. Then things got worse and we couldn't make the payments. Now we're in much worse shape (with that debt as well) and have no credit cards to fall back on.

amother
Mayflower

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 2:25 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Just mentioning that we used credit cards when it seemed urgent and we had no money in the account. Then things got worse and we couldn't make the payments. Now we're in much worse shape (with that debt as well) and have no credit cards to fall back on.

The other OP was expecting money to come in shortly!!!
It's not the same if you know where the money will be coming from.

amother
  Cornsilk

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:18 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
The other OP was expecting money to come in shortly!!!
It's not the same if you know where the money will be coming from.

I also thought I knew where the money was coming from. Until it either didn't come, or a more urgent expense came up first. We're back to debit or cash only.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics