Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Access on the go

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 4:07 pm
for those of you who made the the change from smart phone to flip, how do you have access on the go? Meaning, either of your traveling and need access, or even if you're local and out and about, how do you look something up if needed?

This is one of things that are holding me back.....

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 5:19 pm
My flip phone can make a hotspot. So if I think I will need it, I sometimes bring my smartphone along just in case and I can make a hotspot with my flip phone and use it to connect my old smartphone to the internet.

But usually I just get by with the apps on the fliip phone. You can find a lot of information on google maps, for example.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 6:07 pm
amother Peony wrote:
My flip phone can make a hotspot. So if I think I will need it, I sometimes bring my smartphone along just in case and I can make a hotspot with my flip phone and use it to connect my old smartphone to the internet.

But usually I just get by with the apps on the fliip phone. You can find a lot of information on google maps, for example.

I hear
So I don't think all flips (filtered/kosher) allow Hotspot or have google maps.

amother
Clematis  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 7:32 pm
I have a filtered iPad that I bring along to appointments/hospital stays. Usually only my email works with public wifi connection.
I plan in advance, so usually can manage without internet when I’m out, and in very rare instances, where I’m desperate for an address or some important info, I’ll call one of my parents or close friend.

Recently I got a new iPad which has option of simcard so I can technically use it, but saving it for hospital emergencies etc (where I’ll insert my phone simcard that has 2gb data, so not much)

amother
Blueberry  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 7:35 pm
I take my smartphone for appointments etc and pick up WiFi there.
For phone numbers etc I call my husband.
I am happy for my kids to see that things can be inconvenient. I'm soooooo much happier not having it with me all the time. So peaceful.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 7:45 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
I have a filtered iPad that I bring along to appointments/hospital stays. Usually only my email works with public wifi connection.
I plan in advance, so usually can manage without internet when I’m out, and in very rare instances, where I’m desperate for an address or some important info, I’ll call one of my parents or close friend.

Recently I got a new iPad which has option of simcard so I can technically use it, but saving it for hospital emergencies etc (where I’ll insert my phone simcard that has 2gb data, so not much)

Ty for sharing
So I guess it fits into ur pktbk for appnts lol?
I'm trying to think if can work for me

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 7:47 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
I take my smartphone for appointments etc and pick up WiFi there.
For phone numbers etc I call my husband.
I am happy for my kids to see that things can be inconvenient. I'm soooooo much happier not having it with me all the time. So peaceful.

Maybe that's an idea...cuz fits into pktbk
But what about if ur in a place with no wifi and need to see where to go?
I guess I'm hesitant.
Used to independence
Ps- my smart is filtered but I can look up necessary stuff.

amother
  Clematis  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 8:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ty for sharing
So I guess it fits into ur pktbk for appnts lol?
I'm trying to think if can work for me

I really only take it when we go to hospital/appointments (which is often…) in the past it was easier bec we had a mini iPad, now it’s a larger size and less convenient, but dc has toveedo and some games on it so easier for her lol!
And we shlep a big diaper bag and activity and food bags so yeah, it fits there (no pocketbook lol!)

singleagain  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 8:20 pm
It's interesting you bring this up, bc I went to urgent care today and I was digging through my bag for my license, bc last time I needed to scan it at a kiosk. No kiosk today. Just a QR code to scan on your phone and log in.

I actually wondered what would happen if someone came into urgent care without a smart phone...I guess they'd check them in the old fashioned way.

amother
  Blueberry

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 8:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
Maybe that's an idea...cuz fits into pktbk
But what about if ur in a place with no wifi and need to see where to go?
I guess I'm hesitant.
Used to independence
Ps- my smart is filtered but I can look up necessary stuff.

So I have waze on my phone. I have WiFi at work and in my house. The couple of times that wasn't enough BH wasn't life and death. Annoying but I managed. I want my kid to see it's not essential all the time. It literally ruled me and them. Now they/we learn they/we can wait. We don't need to order something the second we think if it. We can wait. That's a Torah value that modernization is seeking to uproot.

amother
  Clematis  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:24 pm
singleagain wrote:
It's interesting you bring this up, bc I went to urgent care today and I was digging through my bag for my license, bc last time I needed to scan it at a kiosk. No kiosk today. Just a QR code to scan on your phone and log in.

I actually wondered what would happen if someone came into urgent care without a smart phone...I guess they'd check them in the old fashioned way.

There’s always another option I believe.
Last time I did labs (at quest I think), you had an option of signing in by scanning your Id or QR code or confirmation code. So I had code as text on my phone, and just input that.

singleagain  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 7:20 am
amother Clematis wrote:
There’s always another option I believe.
Last time I did labs (at quest I think), you had an option of signing in by scanning your Id or QR code or confirmation code. So I had code as text on my phone, and just input that.

Yeah quest has a kiosk. The urgent care I went to had no kiosk. Just a QR code to scan. If you didn't have a smart phone, you probably would have had to go up to the desk and talk to them.

amother
  Clematis

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 9:25 am
singleagain wrote:
Yeah quest has a kiosk. The urgent care I went to had no kiosk. Just a QR code to scan. If you didn't have a smart phone, you probably would have had to go up to the desk and talk to them.

Glad they have a desk!!
The lab I went to is completely closed waiting room to lab rooms. No way to speak to anyone from inside, short of them coming to door and calling a patient etc. (trust me, I learned it the very hard way when I spent over 2 hours there because they claimed my doc kept on sending the wrong requisition… Can't Believe It and I couldn’t speak to staff half the time wasting so much time between every phone call to docs office…)

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 9:26 am
amother Clematis wrote:
Glad they have a desk!!
The lab I went to is completely closed waiting room to lab rooms. No way to speak to anyone from inside, shirt of them coming to door and calling a patient etc. (trust me, I learned it the very hard way when I spent over 2 hours there because they claimed my doc kept on sending the wrong requisition… Can't Believe It and I couldn’t speak to staff half the time wasting so much time between every phone call to docs office…)

That sounds so frustrating. I'm so sorry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics