Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Two checks in 1 envelope got lost in the mail, totaling $750

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:38 am
Two checks that I mailed someone in one envelope, got lost in the mail, totaling $750.

I mailed them weeks ago and the intended recipient never got them.

I can stop payment on each for $30 (totaling $60), but this only covers me for six months, and after that, if someone cashes it, Im not protected. I can still make a fraud claim, but they close my checking account, its a headache.

If I pay the $60 to stop both checks, and someone cashes them, the bank still closes ny account and I have to open up a new account, its a headache.

Im not even sure why Im more protected if I stop the checks at a cost of $60, because if they get cashed I make a fraud claim and they close my account, whether I stop the checks or not.

Is there something Im not understanding?

WWYD?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:43 am
People still write checks?

I only get those from people over 75.

I run a business and we don't even have a checkbook. Everything is done by bank transfer or card payment.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:56 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
People still write checks?

I only get those from people over 75.

I run a business and we don't even have a checkbook. Everything is done by bank transfer or card payment.

How on earth is this helpful? Use checks or don't but OP did and she's asking a question.

OP I've never heard of a bank putting a stop on a check for only 6 months, but I guess you just have to decide how much you would be willing to pay for the peace of mind. Presumably after 6 months the chances of someone trying to cash it are low, if someone has it now and tried to fraudulently cash it, and the stop was active, they'd gain nothing from it and probably throw it out.

I don't see how a stop payment even helps you if your bank will force you to fill out a fraud claim and close your account anyway if someone tries to cash it. I'd say either risk it and do nothing, or if that makes you too uncomfortable, head the whole thing off and close your account and open a new one.

Sorry for the whole headache, what a pain.

Waffles

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:56 am
That is a very rude, unhelpful answer. I am well under 75 and use checks. OP there is no good solution, perhaps the bank could give helpful advice. I once had a check go missing, the bank canceled it as a courtesy

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:38 am
Why would bank allow a check to be cashed after 6 months? Checks are only valid for 6 months from the date of the check.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:41 am
Which bank allows checks to be cashed after they have been stopped?
But if that is your bank's policy then the only way to protect yourself is by closing your checking account now and not paying the stop fee.
I know it's a headache and I hate when this happens to me, but this seems like the only way to do it without loosing money.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Why would bank allow a check to be cashed after 6 months? Checks are only valid for 6 months from the date of the check.

Im super annoyed with Santander!

Upthread someone said that her bank stopped a check as a courtesy, and instead of only charging me one fee for the 2 checks im stopping at the same time, theyre charging me 2 fees!

No courtesy AND TWO fees.

Andthe Santander employee said that it could happen that they cash a check after 6 months, if bank doesnt check the date. Why Id lose by the banks error, is beyond annoying.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:50 pm
This doesn’t help you OP I’m sorry, but in case this helps anyone.
My parents live in a city with mailboxes. Someone stole a check from the mailbox. I don’t know if it was once or more than once bit they started only mailing checks from the post office.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:50 pm
Also my parents always said to put a sheet of paper in the envelope so people can’t tell it’s a check.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:57 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
Also my parents always said to put a sheet of paper in the envelope so people can’t tell it’s a check.

I believe I did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics