Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Anyone start teaching with no experience?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 10:54 am
Really interested in teaching, but I have zero experience. What are my chances of getting a job? Not all of the schools in my area require a degree, but most people do have one.

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 10:57 am
I started teaching with zero experience. It takes a lot of work and patience!!! Be kind to yourself. You gotta be super prepared and always on the ball. not for the faint of heart. I did it for 5 years! Loved every second but now I'm happy it's ova. IT'S WORK!

amother
Stonewash

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 10:58 am
Can you get a job as an aide.
This way you can learn from morexperienced teachers

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 10:58 am
amother Steelblue wrote:
I started teaching with zero experience. It takes a lot of work and patience!!! Be kind to yourself. You gotta be super prepared and always on the ball. not for the faint of heart. I did it for 5 years! Loved every second but now I'm happy it's ova. IT'S WORK!

Thanks for responding! What made you decide to leave, if I may ask?

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 10:59 am
Everyone starts that way! Very Happy

But seriously, there is a tremendous lack of teachers all across the US, I thinj especially limudei chol.

I think you'd have a great chance at being hired!

Unfortunately, many schools hire lots of newbies and don't have someone to mentor them. If you work at a school that invests I'm their teachers- not just paying for the torah umesorah crash course in August, but has a staff member to mentor throughout the year- that would be an ideal school.

I am a teacher, and it's bli ayin hara a very gratifying, though not well-paying career.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 11:00 am
amother Stonewash wrote:
Can you get a job as an aide.
This way you can learn from morexperienced teachers

I would only do it for a nice and experienced teacher who will give you work to do with the srudents. Not just photocopying, test grading, and recess duty.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 11:08 am
amother Smokey wrote:
I would only do it for a nice and experienced teacher who will give you work to do with the srudents. Not just photocopying, test grading, and recess duty.

Good to know!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 11:10 am
amother Smokey wrote:
Everyone starts that way! Very Happy

But seriously, there is a tremendous lack of teachers all across the US, I thinj especially limudei chol.

I think you'd have a great chance at being hired!

Unfortunately, many schools hire lots of newbies and don't have someone to mentor them. If you work at a school that invests I'm their teachers- not just paying for the torah umesorah crash course in August, but has a staff member to mentor throughout the year- that would be an ideal school.

I am a teacher, and it's bli ayin hara a very
gratifying, though not well-paying career.

Actually, I would love to teach limudei chol! Reading and writing are one of my passions.

amother
Azalea

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 11:15 am
Many schools will offer a mentor and if they don't, you can request one. I think torah umesorah has a program that will give you an experienced mentor for 20 hours at no cost to you.

If limudei chol is your passion, go for it. Teaching can be so immensely rewarding.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 11:33 am
Depends where you live but in most area’s schools are desperate enough for teachers that they will hire anyone without a degree/ license, etc . Some states only allow schools to hire teachers who are certified/ licensed but most schools have workarounds .

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 11:36 am
I taught Limudoi Chol. Hours were too hard for me. Had a babysitter in my house to take kids off the bus.

Which age would you prefer? That makes a huge difference as well. Teenagers are hard but gratifying!!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 11:47 am
amother Steelblue wrote:
I taught Limudoi Chol. Hours were too hard for me. Had a babysitter in my house to take kids off the bus.

Which age would you prefer? That makes a huge difference as well. Teenagers are hard but gratifying!!!

Don't have kids that age yet, so not a problem for me.
I'm thinking around 1st-3rd grade. The subject matter is pretty basic and the kids seem like the right age to not misbehave or talk back as much as older kids (but I could be totally off).

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 11:49 am
amother OP wrote:
Don't have kids that age yet, so not a problem for me.
I'm thinking around 1st-3rd grade. The subject matter is pretty basic and the kids seem like the right age to not misbehave or talk back as much as older kids (but I could be totally off).

If you have enough patience to deal with that age kids, go for it! They're cute and usually try to impress the teacher. Just make sure to bring your smile and be super considerate with the kids. Every girl comes with a story, some you'll know and most you will never know...

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 12:09 pm
Go for it, OP!!!!
there is a huge lack of English teachers, and its a chesed to klal yisrael to teach.
I agree that the worst part of English is afternoon babysitting, but if you don't need that, it's a great idea!!

Hatzlacha rabba!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics