Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cheapest place to buy brown rice? at US supermarket

amother  

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 9:28 pm
I shop at supermarket chains like pathmark, stop and shop, shoprite, walmart, target

Where is the cheapest place to buy brown rice?

mille

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 11:22 am
An asian market or the ethnic food aisle of your typical supermarket. The bigger the bag, the cheaper it is per lb usually.

spinkles  

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 3:12 pm
Be careful. The cheaper bags from other countries may be infested. I got some from Thailand at Trader Joe's and it had worms hiding in some of the grains. I used to buy brown rice at Costco, but realized that I was spending a long time checking it because it had more discolored and iffy grains. I now buy Lundberg rice, which is more expensive, but is so clean.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 4:36 pm
chana_f wrote:
Be careful. The cheaper bags from other countries may be infested. I got some from Thailand at Trader Joe's and it had worms hiding in some of the grains. I used to buy brown rice at Costco, but realized that I was spending a long time checking it because it had more discolored and iffy grains. I now buy Lundberg rice, which is more expensive, but is so clean.

Lundburg rice is extremely high quality, and has a very high vitamin and protein count vs. imported rice. Definitely worth the money.

Good to know about the Costco rice. I tend to pay a bit more and get smaller bags, because I don't have a big family, and my part of the country is highly prone to pantry moth infestations. (I cleaned very well last Pesach, and I'm still seeing stragglers!) Mad

If you have the room, store your rice in your freezer. It will keep the bugs out, and if your bag is infested it will kill the beasties and keep them from spreading to all your other grain products. An Israeli friend gave me that tip.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 5:02 pm
Regarding the freezer tip, freezing for a few days (48 hours) should kill any eggs. If you seal well afterward (like in Tupperware), the rice should remain moth-free even at room temperature.

Pandabeer

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 6:12 pm
I only use uncle Bens - it;s the only one who gets soft, all the other ones I tried stay a little tough
I don't know where they're cheaper though, I buy whenever I find it because they don't sell it .
It's very clean btw

spinkles

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 8:32 pm
Quote:

Lundburg rice is extremely high quality, and has a very high vitamin and protein count vs. imported rice. Definitely worth the money.

Yup. And the flavor is better too.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 8:36 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Some rice is grown where old cotton fields were. These have extremely high levels of arsenic.

You should only buy rice grown in California, where there were no cotton fields.

Lundberg rice is grown in California and has no arsenic.

(You should also avoid using rice drinks because they have high levels of arsenic.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics