Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Hamotzi on shabbos and gluten free?

amother  

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 1:42 am
what does everyone do for hamotzi on shabbos if they are on a gluten free diet??? thanks.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 1:50 am
I know a man who just doesn't wash and say hamotzi, and a girl ended a shidduch with him when she noticed that. (Because he hadn't asked a shaila.)

Newly in Negev

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 1:58 am
I bake gluten-free oat challah. The vast majority of celiacs/gluten-intolerants can eat this without a problem. It is made from the same oats used for the gluten-free oat matzoh on Pesach. It is expensive and not wonderful for baking, but it does enable me to wash. I bake lots of mini-rolls at once and freeze them. I bring them with me wherever I go.

If I ever forget or run out, I do not wash but instead am sure to have reviis of wine/grape juice after kiddush, to count as my 'seudah'

mandksima

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 3:08 am
Newly in Negev wrote:
I bake gluten-free oat challah. The vast majority of celiacs/gluten-intolerants can eat this without a problem. It is made from the same oats used for the gluten-free oat matzoh on Pesach. It is expensive and not wonderful for baking, but it does enable me to wash. I bake lots of mini-rolls at once and freeze them. I bring them with me wherever I go.

If I ever forget or run out, I do not wash but instead am sure to have reviis of wine/grape juice after kiddush, to count as my 'seudah'

Yes. We did this for a year when our house went gluten free. You can also buy the GF oat matzah to use year round if it is easier for you. The oat challah isn't terrific but palatable for the mitzvah. You can then use leftover challah for bread crumbs or french toast which is actually quite good.

If you do ask a sheilah, you might be told what I was told when I decided to avoid all grains for health issues. Drink a rov reveis of grape juice during kiddush and then you are not required to wash and eat hamotzei. I would suggest to attempt to fulfill the mitzvah if you can eat the GF oat flour though.

cinnamon

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 3:30 am
My friend who has celiac doesn't wash or make hamotzi she drinks a reviit of grape juice instead.
(She did ask a shaila)

amother

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 9:20 am
op here: thanks everyone! im going to buy the oat matzah.

melalyse

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 11:10 am
You should ask a shailah, because not every Rav holds that oats are one of the chamishes Yimai dagan. Therefore those that hold this would say that you can't wash on oat challah and matzah. My Rav holds this way, and says that if you can't eat Gluten, you don't wash and you don't make Hamotzi.

B"H YOM YOM

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 11:55 am
Don't know where you are located but The Gluten Free Shoppe in BP sells gluten free oat Hamotzie oat rolls and challah. (As well as the Hamotzie oat matzah). 718-633-3200, I assume they ship as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics