Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I'm a pool owner. AMA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:13 am
Has your heater or filter broken this year? Late I'm hearing every third person had to replace one this year. How often do these break?

amother
  Olive  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:13 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes! I'm in the pool at least twice a week, and my kids are in there almost daily. We use it a ton

How is it possible for you to charge $100/hour, rent it out enough to bring in 20-40k a season, for you to use it daily, and for your neighbors to not be mad? Do renters have exclusive use of the pool? Are the hours all night long? Do you live in anchorage and not anywhere close to any other neighbor?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:14 am
How old is your pool? Does it spring leaks?

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:16 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
What type of filter do you have? Asking because it seems to be beyond amazing.

My saltwater pool costs me around 6k. Rental income last year was also around 6k ..

Do people also rent your pool early mornings and evenings? Do you have lots of steady customers?

We have a DE filter meant for very large pools, and our pool is not that large so it works really well.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:17 am
amother Sunflower wrote:
Has your heater or filter broken this year? Late I'm hearing every third person had to replace one this year. How often do these break?

No bh. We only put our heater and filter in around 4 years ago, and I'm pretty sure they last between 7-10 years

amother
  Lemon  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:20 am
amother Olive wrote:
The one with the injury does not sue, it's their health insurance that goes after the pool owner to cover the cost of the injury, usually without the injured even knowing. Insurance companies will do whatever they need to do to get out of paying. When they get the medical billing codes, they will go after the homeowner.

I just think its crazy that a pool owner didnt even research this they have no idea what risks they are taking. Its one thing to take a calculated risk a whole other thing to not even know!

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:22 am
amother Olive wrote:
How is it possible for you to charge $100/hour, rent it out enough to bring in 20-40k a season, for you to use it daily, and for your neighbors to not be mad? Do renters have exclusive use of the pool? Are the hours all night long? Do you live in anchorage and not anywhere close to any other neighbor?

We rent it out from may-sept
There are usually between 4-8 hours that are booked ever day. Sometimes even more.
I have steady groups that book weekly slots. I make sure that I'm part of at least 2 of these groups so I get to go swimming at minimum twice a week. I also sometimes go in early morning, before the groups come, with a friend or neighbor.
There are more than 12 rentable hours per day (9am-9pm), and it's not usually booked for 12 solid hours, so my kids do get to go swimming almost every afternoon.
Yes renters get exclusive use of the pool.
I don't usually rent it past 11pm
No I don't live in Anchorage, but the houses in our neighborhood are pretty far apart so we don't get under anyones skin for the most part.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:23 am
amother Olive wrote:

Presuming it’s one family at a time it doesn’t create much more traffic than any other home business

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:23 am
amother Teal wrote:
How old is your pool? Does it spring leaks?

We renovated the pool pretty recently so it's pretty much brand new, but the original pool was probably built in the 60s or 70s

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:26 am
amother Lemon wrote:
I just think its crazy that a pool owner didnt even research this they have no idea what risks they are taking. Its one thing to take a calculated risk a whole other thing to not even know!

I'm loving the assumptions here.
My husband actually did his research. I don't know anything about our insurance policy because I wasn't the one that took care of getting the policy. We also have plenty of enter at your own risk signage that is very visible when you enter the pool area.

amother
  Tuberose  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:27 am
amother OP wrote:
I hear what you're saying. I'm wondering how it works if someone has a friend over (for free) and the friend gets hurt. Can their medical insurance sue them too? If so why are people ok with allowing others to come over to use their pool? Every pool owner I know has people use their pool. Some charge and some don't.

Because legally and insurance wise renting your pool out changes your home pool into a commercial pool.

amother
  Lemon  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:27 am
amother OP wrote:
My husband actually did his research. I don't know anything about our insurance policy because I wasn't the one that took care of getting the policy. We also have plenty of enter at your own risk signage that is very visible when you enter the pool area.

LOL you know legally that does absolutely nothing right?!

amother
  Olive  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:31 am
amother OP wrote:
We rent it out from may-sept
There are usually between 4-8 hours that are booked ever day. Sometimes even more.
I have steady groups that book weekly slots. I make sure that I'm part of at least 2 of these groups so I get to go swimming at minimum twice a week. I also sometimes go in early morning, before the groups come, with a friend or neighbor.
There are more than 12 rentable hours per day (9am-9pm), and it's not usually booked for 12 solid hours, so my kids do get to go swimming almost every afternoon.
Yes renters get exclusive use of the pool.
I don't usually rent it past 11pm
No I don't live in Anchorage, but the houses in our neighborhood are pretty far apart so we don't get under anyones skin for the most part.

Got it. I'm happy for your success.

amother
  Olive

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:35 am
amother OP wrote:

Just FYI, a pool is considered an "attractive nuisance" as far as homeowners insurance goes. There is special insurance to cover these things, but the point is that even with signs and a fence and locks, the homeowner is still liable. Trampolines, pools, power tools, it's all under this category. If you are renting out your pool and you don't have commercial insurance coverage, you could chas v'shalom be at great risk. This is for anyone who rents out their pool by the way, not just aimed at you.

https://www.nationwide.com/lc/.....ances

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:36 am
amother Lemon wrote:
LOL you know legally that does absolutely nothing right?!

They actually do protect you somewhat.

amother
  Molasses  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 10:08 am
amother OP wrote:
They actually do protect you somewhat.

It really does not. The only thing it does is deter people from suing because they "think" it does something. (unless you are not in the US and then I don't know anything about the laws.)

amother
Broom  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 10:45 am
Insurance is very location dependent. My friend rents her pool & has a special Insurance policy for a pool you rent out, & it's way less than the rental income.

Besides, some people chose to take risks in life, you may not agree with them but it's how it is.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 10:47 am
such an interesting thread to read through.
I have a pool and don't rent it out though I do let people come whenever it works for me.
Sometimes I think about how much money I would make if I charged but then I see how happy I'm able to make people and it's all worth it.
But now seeing all these insurance posts- I sure am happy I never started with that!

amother
  Burgundy  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 11:57 am
If you rent it to men too, do you find that they leave behind a bigger mess then women? Do you find men or boys damage things around your pool way more often than woman?

amother
  Burgundy  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 12:03 pm
What's the average amount of hours that steady renters book it for. 1 hr? 2? All day? What amount of time do you find works out best for the renters in general.

Who do you find is more interested in renting.
Mom, Dad and kids
Friends getting together
Friends getting together along with their kids
Married Sisters
Married sisters and kids
Bochorim
Parties

Do you have a limit on how many people you allow at one time in the pool/pool area?
Page 5 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics