Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Depressed because can't keep up with styles
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:37 am
Are you short and or overweight? IME most trends look woops missed on this shape. I know because that's my shape. When I looked around I noticed that the thin and taller woman dressed trendy and when I asked them where they bought their clothes it was all places and items I've tried but look dowdy on.
Here's what I do. I buy a lot of classic peices, comfortable peices and then a few things in a local store. Buying some items in the local Jewish shops keep me trendy enough that I don't look 30 years out of fashion. I have also lowered my standards of being trendy as I got older.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:06 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
OP, you can get stuff on Amazon, and they accept returns.

Now.

What's your general type? Build?

The idea is to analyze your figure, and bring it out. Once you know how to dress your figure so you look organized top to bottom, which often means suede black shoes (flats or low heel), opaque tights (black), a comfortable skirt or dress of made of a thick knit (black) with a white blouse or shirt, or a color, a nice wig (synthetics look good too) some Clinique blush on cheeks and maybe pencil on eye, no mascara, you will just need some nice earrings. Try a few earrings, using only 14k gold posts (silver color is called "white gold.") Pearl earrings are great too.

Next up is a good collection of scarves. One way is to go on LightInTheBox website; they have bushels of long chiffon machine washable scarves.

Common misunderstanding: you CAN TOO wear the same thing all the time, if it looks exactly right on you. Getting to that exact right thing takes some shopping, but when you find it, you will get SEVERAL of that dress or jumper or skirt.

This is an art.

It is not about "is that pretty" it is "well that work on ME?" When you have analyzed your figure and type, you will know that. If you are a petite size brunette, don't even look at models who are tall, thin, and blonde. If you see a woman in the neighborhood who IS your physical type and looks great, copy what she is doing. Discreetly.

But: what figure are we dealing with, and how do you want and need to look?

I am allergic to high prices and to dry cleaners, and will post all the links you want. I will never get tired.

This is CONQUERABLE.

It is common and simple to make a smooth line by just plain wearing all black, except for a white or bright blouse, shirt, or jacket. Where color changes, contrasts, that is where the eye goes. Keep attention up high, near your head. Don't wear an interesting belt or people will be looking too low.

Start with the bottom: the shoe.

You have to be comfortable. Spend all the money needed for good support and comfort in a shoe. Keep a shoe matte, not shiny. Making people look at your feet makes you look shorter. Shiny feet attract the eye, so keep shoes matte. No buckles.

What is shiny always looks bigger. If you are thin, use shiny blouses. If you need to be smaller, use matter surface. Not shiny.

Next, get a strand of pearls, to make you feel better. Fake is fine.

Then make sure your underwear is supportive. That is a place to spend money: good underwear. Don't skimp on that.

This is a very nice post but, respectfully none of this is in style.
No one wears pearls. It's the summer so you should not be wearing black tights if you are trying to be in style. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with any of this I'm just saying that if op is specifically saying that she wants to be in style this is not the way to go.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:17 am
For the Style part I want to say two things:
1) most important thing is to walk around with confidence. If you feel confident in how you dress, other people will assume that you are in style. Unless you are wearing something extremely Dowdy or shapeless, you can pull anything off and look stylish even if you don't look super trendy. Make sure to alter things to fit properly.

2) for practical advice, I agree with other posters that said you can look on Instagram or even a Jewish website and see what they are selling and then either you could try to buy one or two pieces per season or look for something similar for cheap on Ali or zara/hm/mango etc.

Rn, for a weekday people are wearing long, sometimes long MIDI, denim type skirts with tshirts. You can also dress it up instead with a summer knit sweater like you would see on Junee or blouse. Slip skirts are still a classic so you can wear that with a more casual top or dressy for w/d or shabbos. In the past years it was very in style to wear a knit jumper with a cardigan sweater or pull over over it and people are still wearing that as well.

People are also wearing a lot of shirt dresses. 2 pieces that match top & bottom. I've definitely seen pieces on people who are not super skinny or super tall that look really nice.

Honestly, I would try to find a good friend or fam who would be willing to send you links or info.

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:17 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
No one wears pearls. It's the summer so you should not be wearing black tights if you are trying to be in style. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with any of this I'm just saying that if op is specifically saying that she wants to be in style this is not the way to go.

Pearls are making a huge comeback, just saying

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:23 am
Chasing after fashion is making you so miserable. Wouldn't wearing clothes you like make you happier in the long run?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:26 am
My only reason I can’t keep up with styles is that I can’t even afford to buy any clothing for myself. If I get to buy a T-shirt from Walmart I consider myself blessed. It hurts my heart for all of you that throw out good clothing 😢😭

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:26 am
amother Snow wrote:
Pearls are ma,ing a huge comeback, just saying

Yup. Haven’t seen pearl necklaces, but pearl earrings are definitely back. I live in an upscale neighborhood and have noticed women who care about style wearing large pearl earrings again. And they anyway have the “din” of being timeless in the secular world.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:30 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm going through a very hard time feeling terrible because of my inability to keep up with trends due to my cluelessness.

I feel looked down at by everyone since everyone else seems to "make it" and dress up to date and its only me that keeps messing up every season again by buying the wrong things.

The amount of money I spend and then just don't use it

I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone for help.

Any advice?

Save up to hire someone who can do your palette. She will figure out which colors look good on you, what styles suit your frame. She will come up with a list that will help you know what to purchase. ❤️

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:36 am
amother Ginger wrote:
Save up to hire someone who can do your palette. She will figure out which colors look good on you, what styles suit your frame. She will come up with a list that will help you know what to purchase. ❤️

How do you find someone to help with that? I’d totally do that!

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:50 am

Pearls are actually really really in now!
Classy is always in anyways

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:57 am
So here's my trick- stop caring. I do not try to keep up with any styles. I buy classic, simple and flattering pieces and wear them year round. For example, I own a lot of Bleusalt items. Their tube skirt is a staple for me. Super comfy and I have them tailored to knee length, midi and long. Different colors, get the A line skirt too... I wear monochromatic pieces and focus on having good skin and nice jewelry. I love my effy diamond necklace and wear that layered with other pieces. For purses, stick to easy basics like cuyana or mulberry. Pearls, IMO, are for work and unless they are oversized, age you. Diamonds are easier to navigate and rock (pun intended). I hope you find your zen and feel better in your own skin, OP. I'm sure you look beautiful either way.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:03 am
I love going to second hand clothing stores, especially in heimishe neighborhoods. I pick out some classic high end pieces. I've recently found a black Moschino sweater, maje white dress and theory cream sweater. My total $15!!!!!! People constantly compliment me and ask how I can afford such high end stuff LOL

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:05 am
All the focus on figuring out what's in style isn't helping the core issue. It's not normal to be depressed like this. It's not normal to feel this much pressure. Op, while you can see if dressing a bit more stylish will make you feel a bit better, please take care of the teal issues that'll affect your overall well-being. Hatzalacha!

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:17 am
Me too! I am still wearing my winter stuff because I don't have money to buy clothes for the summer! Those long skirts bp ladies are wearing look ridiculous on me so I don't even buy, I stick to regular skirts which can get boring. I have a bra where the cups curl out no matter how tight I make it and it looks so off.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:19 am
Op just that you should know. Everyone is saying that Brooklyn and Lakewood are so into clothing etc…. Montreal is 10x worst in the Outremont area. There are so many unspoken rules that no other place has.
Everyone has to basically have the same taste in fashion if someone is a tiny too daring and puts on let’s say beige shoes when the majority still wears black shoes on pesach she’s looked down at and much more . A tiny too trendy or a tiny too outdated is looked down upon… everyone buys there kids shoes from the same store and off course a real expensive one that’s not even in Montreal and the same goes with dress and all the way to the hair accessories….
unfortunately you have to perfectly fit into the cookie cutter….

amother
Junglegreen

I can totally relate, OP. And I'm tall and thin so I feel like lots of styles can work for me. I sometimes go into a store like Fame and have them help me. I can afford to shop higher end at like Saks but I don't because even if I see what's in at the Jewish stores, I have a blockage when it comes to translating it into other stores! And I would ask people but my family doesn't dress trendy (or classy, which I even prefer). I also relate to the other stuff that people mentioned - backpacks, china, etc.

Btw, as usual, for all of you saying dress for you...it's pretty obvious that's not what we're looking for - this thread is not for you.

amother
Coffee

For the Style part I want to say two things:
1) most important thing is to walk around with confidence. If you feel confident in how you dress, other people will assume that you are in style. Unless you are wearing something extremely Dowdy or shapeless, you can pull anything off and look stylish even if you don't look super trendy. Make sure to alter things to fit properly.

2) for practical advice, I agree with other posters that said you can look on Instagram or even a Jewish website and see what they are selling and then either you could try to buy one or two pieces per season or look for something similar for cheap on Ali or zara/hm/mango etc.

Rn, for a weekday people are wearing long, sometimes long MIDI, denim type skirts with tshirts. You can also dress it up instead with a summer knit sweater like you would see on Junee or blouse. Slip skirts are still a classic so you can wear that with a more casual top or dressy for w/d or shabbos. In the past years it was very in style to wear a knit jumper with a cardigan sweater or pull over over it and people are still wearing that as well.

People are also wearing a lot of shirt dresses. 2 pieces that match top & bottom. I've definitely seen pieces on people who are not super skinny or super tall that look really nice.

Honestly, I would try to find a good friend or fam who would be willing to send you links or info.

I think this is most on target. What are people wearing with slip dresses now? If jumpers over it are already older

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:23 am
amother Lime wrote:
Op just that you should know. Everyone is saying that Brooklyn and Lakewood are so into clothing etc…. Montreal is 10x worst in the Outremont area. There are so many unspoken rules that no other place has.
Everyone has to basically have the same taste in fashion if someone is a tiny too daring and puts on let’s say beige shoes when the majority still wears black shoes on pesach she’s looked down at and much more . A tiny too trendy or a tiny too outdated is looked down upon… everyone buys there kids shoes from the same store and off course a real expensive one that’s not even in Montreal and the same goes with dress and all the way to the hair accessories….
unfortunately you have to perfectly fit into the cookie cutter….

So can you tell her what they’re wearing now?

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:26 am
amother Coffee wrote:
I think this is most on target. What are people wearing with slip dresses now? If jumpers over it are already older

Some people wear it as a pinafore type of Jumper with a shirt under it or you can still get away with a regular t-shirt/ sweater over it.
You can tie it as a knotted crop or wear regular.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 9:38 am
amother Jade wrote:
So can you tell her what they’re wearing now?
I can definitely try.
I see lots of cropped sweaters or tucked in shirts in colors like light blue, pink or apple green with black/ or other solid color cotton full midi/ maxi skirts if the top has a small designer logo even better but Zara works too. ballet flats or dainty loafers for weekday and 1.5 inch box heels or sling backs for shab… cotton poplin dresses or jumpers any pretty color works (but if your a bigger size stick to dark like black, navy… people here are very into a nice fit and slenderizing ) solid rather then too colourful. Floral dresses are out especially for women.

https://www.farfetch.com/ca/sh......aspx
For Shabbos
Profile downtown next to the bay has designer clothes for more affordable prices
check out Zara, yoox…. Browse online some really nice stuff on sale always comes up .
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics