Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/o My MIL was an Adopted Yemenite baby
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:16 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:
Wait. So just to clarify..
You mother in law searched for her birth mother, and when she found her, the birth mother told her that she was told that her baby had died?

Yes. I wasn't yet married when it was all uncovered but it doesn't seem like she had to search so much to find the documents that lead her to her mother. They didn't DNA test but they looked identical

yiddishmom

Post Yesterday at 6:35 pm
This is known as the Yaldei Teiman saga.

Which thread is this a spin off of?

amother
  Apricot

Post Yesterday at 6:36 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
This is known as the Yaldei Teiman saga.

Which thread is this a spin off of?

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....81614

amother
Molasses  

Post Yesterday at 6:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes. I wasn't yet married when it was all uncovered but it doesn't seem like she had to search so much to find the documents that lead her to her mother. They didn't DNA test but they looked identical

Did her birth mother think all these years that her baby really had died? Or she knew that the baby had been taken. What was the birth mothers reaction when your mil contacted her for the first time?

amother
Quince  

Post Yesterday at 6:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm not going to put AMA because I won't answer all questions due to her and my privacy. I will not be posting her full name. Here's some of the basics facts and I'm fine to answer anything not too intrusive

She was born in the early 60s.

Her mother was an unmarried teenager.

Her adoptive parents did not know anything sketchy was going on, they were just told there was a nebbach situation.

She had a wonderful childhood but knew she was adopted and only looked into it after both adoptive parents were niftar (they were much older)

Throw the tomatoes at me but without having been there at the time or knowing the details I'm not sure why anyone assumes nefarious intentions over here. I can think of someone who is very respected on imamother who also arranged an adoption for the child of his unmarried teenage daughter. Where were her (the unmarried mother's) parents in this story? How was this unmarried teen expecting to be able raise the child without messing up both of their lives?

It's extremely unlikely that the adoptive parents who were told that it is a nebbach situation were looking to buy a child of unwilling parents. It was in fact a nebbach situation

amother
Nutmeg

Post Yesterday at 6:52 pm
Does she know who her father is? Was it due to rape?

amother
  Molasses

Post Yesterday at 6:53 pm
amother Quince wrote:
Throw the tomatoes at me but without having been there at the time or knowing the details I'm not sure why anyone assumes nefarious intentions over here. I can think of someone who is very respected on imamother who also arranged an adoption for the child of his unmarried teenage daughter. Where were her (the unmarried mother's) parents in this story? How was this unmarried teen expecting to be able raise the child without messing up both of their lives?

It's extremely unlikely that the adoptive parents who were told that it is a nebbach situation were looking to buy a child of unwilling parents. It was in fact a nebbach situation

Except that they did the exact same thing to married Yemenite women who very much wanted to keep their babies.

And they could have asked the teenager if she wanted the baby to be adopted instead of lying and saying the baby died.

amother
Indigo

Post Yesterday at 7:04 pm
My aunt's father had a little baby sister who was taken away and never found. They told the parents that she had passed away but the parents knew it's a lie and never stopped looking for her. I only knew my aunt's father when she married into our family. He was the nicest person. Never gave up looking for his little sister and sadly passed away without ever finding her.
Are there really people denying this?!?!?!?

amother
  Quince  

Post Yesterday at 7:09 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
Except that they did the exact same thing to married Yemenite women who very much wanted to keep their babies.

And they could have asked the teenager if she wanted the baby to be adopted instead of lying and saying the baby died.

We are talking about an unmarried teenager who either voluntarily became pregnant or must have been very traumatized from rape. Could they trust her judgment? Do you think such a person is well positioned to care for a child? What if she wasn't willing to give up the child but had no current or future ability to take care of it either. What should they have done then?

amother
Dandelion

Post Yesterday at 7:33 pm
amother Quince wrote:
We are talking about a teenager who either voluntarily became pregnant or must have been very traumatized from rape. Could they trust her judgment? Do you think such a person is well positioned to care for a child? What if she wasn't willing to give up the child but had no current or future ability to take care of it either. What should they have done then?

AIUI many teenage girls from the Yemenite community were married with children very young.

amother
Candycane  

Post Yesterday at 8:14 pm
amother Quince wrote:
We are talking about an unmarried teenager who either voluntarily became pregnant or must have been very traumatized from rape. Could they trust her judgment? Do you think such a person is well positioned to care for a child? What if she wasn't willing to give up the child but had no current or future ability to take care of it either. What should they have done then?

And therefore?? Do you really not see the difference between ARRANGING adoption and stealing the baby while lying to the family that it died?!

amother
Amaryllis

Post Yesterday at 8:17 pm
I wanted to mention this like 12 hours ago but didn’t have a chance.

Your MIL mother prob knew she’s alive. Mother’s gut instinct.

amother
  Quince  

Post Yesterday at 8:29 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
And therefore?? Do you really not see the difference between ARRANGING adoption and stealing the baby while lying to the family that it died?!

I'm unconvinced it wasn't the family itself (her parents) who told the mother the story about the baby dying. If decades later she didn't have to search so much to find the documents that led her to her mother (as per the OP) then this was not some black market stolen baby situation.

amother
  Candycane

Post Yesterday at 8:30 pm
amother Quince wrote:
I'm unconvinced it wasn't the family itself (her parents) who told the mother the story about the baby dying. If she didn't have to search so much to find the documents that led her to her mother (as per the OP) then this was not some black market stolen baby situation.

I wouldn't be so sure without info

amother
Nasturtium

Post Yesterday at 8:36 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
My aunt's father had a little baby sister who was taken away and never found. They told the parents that she had passed away but the parents knew it's a lie and never stopped looking for her. I only knew my aunt's father when she married into our family. He was the nicest person. Never gave up looking for his little sister and sadly passed away without ever finding her.
Are there really people denying this?!?!?!?

Yes. There really are people denying this. It’s very sad. Sometimes we really are our own worst enemies.

bestme

Post Yesterday at 11:36 pm
Why doesn't she do DNA test?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Today at 12:11 am
amother Quince wrote:

REALLY?!
We can't trust the judgement of the mother of the baby who carried her for 9 months and birthed her? Who was possibly waiting for the day to meet her baby and do her best to raise her properly despite the difficult circumstances?
So we should just take the baby away and lie about it? Rather then give her the support she needs to raise her?

I can't believe I'm reading this here.

FYI there are many teen moms who do a wonderful job raising their beautiful children despite all odds. They need our support. Not judgement.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 4:10 am
amother Quince wrote:

Just want to clarify, do you feel like parents have inherant rights to their own children or it's on the hospital to decide on the spot if a mother is worthy of bringing home her own child?

Either way, it's one thing to convince someone that adoption might be the best route or even get social services involved to re-home if and when there's evidence the necessitates that and telling the mother the baby died just to have them adopted into a different family

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 4:15 am
amother Quince wrote:
I'm unconvinced it wasn't the family itself (her parents) who told the mother the story about the baby dying. If decades later she didn't have to search so much to find the documents that led her to her mother (as per the OP) then this was not some black market stolen baby situation.

I don't have any evidence to prove that you're wrong. Her parents had long passed away when my mil reconnected. However, it's hard to believe that hundreds of people have similar stories to my mil's mother and all of them are false when this is their story as well.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 4:17 am
bestme wrote:
Why doesn't she do DNA test?

She was raised by Holocaust survivors with a lot of skepticism of the government. She'd never go out of her way to have DNA on record anywhere. Also what's the point if she has the documents and can see the resemblance?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics