Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
S/o How do you leave your airbnb?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

How do you leave your Airbnb/vacation rental?
Spotless clean, exactly how I got it  
 21%  [ 64 ]
Medium clean, I make the beds but don’t sweep the floors  
 18%  [ 55 ]
Visibly clean but I don’t make the beds  
 46%  [ 138 ]
We pack up and leave, there’s a cleaning fee for a reason  
 13%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 298

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 6:26 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
I left Airbnb today and this is what I did;
Made all the beds (I know they're gonna strip the linen but I want it to have a clean look)
Swept kitchen floor
Wiped down toilets/sinks/counters/table with lysol wipes and cleaned the drains
Took out all the garbage
Put all towels in laundry basket
Made sure every last toy and item was back in its place

I know this might be overkill but I want to make sure the host leaves a good review about us

Why??

librarygirl  

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 6:31 pm
I davka don't make the beds,I don't want them to think we didn't use it. We collect the towels, throw out the garbage, put things back where they came from. I don't clean. If we damaged something I would inform the host and offer to pay.

Molly Weasley

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 6:38 pm
librarygirl wrote:
I davka don't make the beds,I don't want them to think we didn't use it. We collect the towels, throw out the garbage, put things back where they came from. I don't clean. If we damaged something I would inform the host and offer to pay.

How do you define cleaning? Is sweeping the floor cleaning?

librarygirl

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 6:44 pm
Molly Weasley wrote:
How do you define cleaning? Is sweeping the floor cleaning?

If the floor needs sweeping, I would do it while I'm there for myself, not as I'm leaving for the cleaning help.

tichellady

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 6:45 pm
I’m not cleaning. I’m on vacation and paying for the cleaning. Always have good reviews

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 7:19 pm
No food left behind, garbage taken out, hang up towels in bathroom (vs on floor), and a basic clean and tidy. That's usually what the instructions said.
Definitely sticky counters I clean up as it happens. But sweeping a few crumbs? Not sure what I did.

But the place had broken vacuum (they turned on but had no suction), dryer was broken and I had a cobweb in the bathroom tub.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 7:47 pm
I don't get the not making your bed.

My mother taught me to make it as soon as I get up and I can't stand to see any unmade beds.

It takes 20 seconds to make your bed.
Why is it even an option to leave it messy all day until you leave? It shouldn't even be on a cleaning list.

It's like flushing a toilet after you use it. Making your hair in the morning. Putting the milk back into the fridge after you use it.
Basic and decent functional living.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 3:16 pm
Not for the reviews more like don't want to make a chillul Hashem

amother
Camellia  

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 3:29 pm
amother Purple wrote:
One of the reasons we rather go with hotels than airbnb is after the amou t they make you clean up it is just not worth it for us. And that's with ridiculous cleaning fees as well.

If I need to wash the linens and towels, all the floors make sure the place is absolutely perfect It's not much of a vacation

I do whatever they explicitly say to do, as much as I can. If they ask to clean up too much, I will say so. Some arbnbs are over the top

imaima  

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 3:30 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
If there’s a cleaning fee, I do nothing. Obviously I’m not a slob and I won’t leave food around the house or on the counters, everything will be in the garbage. But I’m not making beds or sweeping or taking garbage outside

I’m surprised so many people clean when they also pay someone else to clean

If they asked me to make beds I would be wary. They are supposed to change linens between people, there should be no need to make beds.

imaima

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 3:32 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
The instructions are usually written out so you know before you rent the house what they expect. If you don't want to do what they ask then don't rent that house. I agree some of the expectations are overboard so I don't rent those houses.

No
Sometimes instructions arrive in the middle of my stay.
Sometimes there are never any instructions.

amother
  Camellia

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 3:36 pm
amother Purple wrote:
We once stayed in an airbnb where we got a scathing review. Out crime? We left a water bottle on the table (we forgot to take it along) and a diaper in the garbage.

This was not a typical apartment so there wasn't anywhere to take the garbage out to. The rule was any garbage that didn't fit in the can you needed to take out with you, whcih we did. But in the garbage we left in the can we left a diaper.

I stayed in a place in Switzerland where the owners only left like 2 special garbage bags for throwing out the garbage. And we stayed foe a week as a big family. Since we left a generous cleaning fee, we didn’t bother to buy more of expensive garbage bags. We left the garbage in regular plastic bags for the cleaners to repack them. My dh explicitly stated it was a chutzpah to expect us to buy more bags.
It turned out that there is insider knowledge that you are supposed to sweep the house before cleaning and purchase the special bags yourself. So we got a bad review

Ruchel

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 5:12 pm
Depends on on fee

Mayflower

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 5:35 pm
This year, we got a negative review for the first time ever (and we've been going to Airbnb's for 10 years), because the owner was disappointed with how we left the place.
I was very surprised because we followed all of the cleaning instructions (stripped the beds, vacuumed, cleaned the fridge etc) which I thought was already a lot. I contacted him to ask what he was referring to and he said he expected the place to be in the same condition as when we got there, so he was disappointed that the windows weren't clean and I didn't scrub the bathroom... I have never heard of having to leave the place in pristine condition, never mind expecting it without specifying so in the instructions.
I hope next year we'll be able to find a nice place despite the negative review :-(

amother
Copper  

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 5:51 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
Clean up, take out the garbage, make a pile of dirty towels and do whatever they say to do with the linens.

I'm the op of the damages thread. We do this too, plus we vacuum. I clean the toilets, wipe down sinks etc. Put pile of dirty towels in the bath.

amother
  Copper  

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 5:55 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
Why??

And we did this too! Op of the damages thread here.
We were 2 families together and we had to officially be out by 10am. It was pretty hectic!
Things like the towels going missing etc should be part of wear and tear in my opinion besides for the one that my son mistakenly took.
We're paying for the missing items. My Dh is speaking to the owner tomorrow about the rest of the things that she sent pictures of.

amother
  Copper  

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 5:57 pm
Mayflower wrote:
This year, we got a negative review for the first time ever (and we've been going to Airbnb's for 10 years), because the owner was disappointed with how we left the place.
I was very surprised because we followed all of the cleaning instructions (stripped the beds, vacuumed, cleaned the fridge etc) which I thought was already a lot. I contacted him to ask what he was referring to and he said he expected the place to be in the same condition as when we got there, so he was disappointed that the windows weren't clean and I didn't scrub the bathroom... I have never heard of having to leave the place in pristine condition, never mind expecting it without specifying so in the instructions.
I hope next year we'll be able to find a nice place despite the negative review :-(

Oh my that's such a shame! I'm sorry that happened to you Really not fair that he did that. We pay a fortune to stay by these places Sad now ontop of it we need to pay more. I guess we need to be more careful. It's never happened to us before, and we've stayed in loads of air bnbs

amother
  Copper

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 6:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We definitely didn't leave sticky counters or crumby floors because we cleared up after ourselves after each meal. We were there for a few days.
But it did need a deep clean and I didn't do that.

We covered the kitchen surfaces but I still wiped everything down with antibacterial wipes. It looked clean when we left. We didn't expect her to flag up all of these things but stuff happens 🤷‍♀️

ittsamother  

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 9:39 pm
When we checked out this week, we left the counters clean, table clean, fridge empty, ice cube trays refilled cuz he specifically asked for that, everything back where we found it, no visible piles of dirt anywhere, dirty towels in a pile. But we left the beds unmade because I wanted it obvious which beds we used (and also cuz checkout was at 11, I had a ton to do to get out on time, I wasn't going to each bed and making it, we were 4 adults and a bunch of little kids, and as others have said, they're stripping it anyway). No way was I mopping the floors, cleaning down the toilet and bathtub, or washing the windows! That's what the hefty cleaning fee is for.

momma 17

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 10:36 pm
I just checked out of an airbnb on Friday.
I cleaned all visible garbage, emptied the fridge and took out the garbage.
There's no way I'm cleaning anymore than that if I'm paying someone else to do it
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics