2%  [ 5 ]
More then 30k 😱  
 6%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 202

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 9:55 am
amother Orchid wrote:
I worked another job with the money going straight to tuition , in addition to the large portion of my DH salary to cover tuition. Between the two of us we paid 100 percent full tuition . We feel it is a priority and gives an important message to our kids.I can’t say if it’s related or not but BH we are blessed our kids are very ehrlich. FTR the “full “ tuition we and others pay is significantly more than it costs to educate our children - because those paying full tuition are paying to cover the shortfall for those getting breaks. If you truly need a break , go for it.however If you can cut back somewhere else, esp on non necessary things , pls keep this in mind .

Sometimes the numbers just don't work unless you're in a high earning field. If the school wants 100k from me a year, that means that add another 50k for my small house, and another 15k for daycare for the youngest, and another 15k for food, and leave some aside for health insurance and clothes and the rest of it, means I need at least 200k take home pay which means close to 500k pre-tax. What fields pay that?

My husband and I make 150k pretax, which is considered a decent pay in the non-jewish world, but after taxes and insurance we get 90k take home. 36k of that is housing. 24k is daycare/ preschool for 2 kids which doesn't give discounts. So now we have 30k for food, clothes and tuition. If I pay 24k the school asks for, I can't buy food.

icedcoffee

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 9:58 am
Our local high school is 43k shock I don't expect we would pay near that, though. My son is only 2 so I'm not sure what our exact final cost would be, but we have a friend in the nursery program (which is $33k) who told us they pay $16k after discounts.

amother
  Magenta

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 9:59 am
amother Orchid wrote:
I worked another job with the money going straight to tuition , in addition to the large portion of my DH salary to cover tuition. Between the two of us we paid 100 percent full tuition . We feel it is a priority and gives an important message to our kids.I can’t say if it’s related or not but BH we are blessed our kids are very ehrlich. FTR the “full “ tuition we and others pay is significantly more than it costs to educate our children - because those paying full tuition are paying to cover the shortfall for those getting breaks. If you truly need a break , go for it.however If you can cut back somewhere else, esp on non necessary things , pls keep this in mind .

Similar situation priorities matter!!

We grew up very simply lived simply think old small apartment, no car we went to great schools, my mom taught her entire salary went directly to tuition, based on our lifestyle you would have thought we were poor, we were taught pay full tuition, live within your means.
We were dressed simply, clean and neat but we lived within our means, Those are life lessons that my siblings too, my brothers studied very hard to get where they are (Ivy League grads) we all prioritize being ehrlich, hardworking menschlich.

amother
  Orchid  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 10:01 am
amother Jade wrote:
Sometimes the numbers just don't work unless you're in a high earning field. If the school wants 100k from me a year, that means that add another 50k for my small house, and another 15k for daycare for the youngest, and another 15k for food, and leave some aside for health insurance and clothes and the rest of it, means I need at least 200k take home pay which means close to 500k pre-tax. What fields pay that?

Agreed. My salary was to supplement what was coming from my DH. To get us to full tuition from approx 85 percent tuiotn And we live simply. Don’t spend a lot on food clothes , BH I am blessed my kids are well adjusted and feel secure don’t need a lot of stuff , that’s also the way I was raised so maybe that affects me positively which in turn affects them. If a parent can cut back in other areas , they should feel good knowing what a good example they are giving to their kids , everyone has to be honest with themselves what they can do.

amother
  Orchid

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 10:02 am
amother Magenta wrote:
Similar situation priorities matter!!

We grew up very simply lived simply think old small apartment, no car we went to great schools, my mom taught her entire salary went directly to tuition, based on our lifestyle you would have thought we were poor, we were taught pay full tuition, live within your means.
We were dressed simply, clean and neat but we lived within our means, Those are life lessons that my siblings too, my brothers studied very hard to get where they are we all prioritize being ehrlich, hardworking menschlich.

Love this !

amother
  Outerspace

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 10:03 am
amother Jade wrote:

Its more than that.

I spent years prioritizing paying as much full tuition as possible, taking out of savings, etc

My Rav told me that I made a huge mistake. We don't own a house. Have no savings. Are being priced out of rentals, moving constantly with all the upheaval to our teens.
Our Rav sat us down and told us how much were obligated to put away into savings, even at the expense of full tuition, because we need a balance and normalcy.

The median family salary in our state is around 70k. We make $110k pretax. Which is 90k after tax.
Rent is 36k. Tuition is 30k (reduced rate) for 5 kids
Which means 24k for insurance, utilities, food, clothing, medical, etc

Its not possible that every family is high earners. And we make more than the state median amount and don't have a huge family (5 kids).

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 10:19 am

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 10:51 am
OOT Bais Yaakov/Boys Yeshiva tuition went up a lot this year

Full tuition is 16,400 Minimum tuition is $4500 with a family cap of 18,000

Summer program is 540 for boys

There is a breakfast fee for minyan age boys

A book/tech fee 225

Building Fund is 250 a year per kid until you hit a cap

BUT 80% of the school gets a break of some kind. The financial aid office uses a 20% of your income formula when calculating aide and I think its very fair.

amother
Viola

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 10:55 am
I'll only have 2 in elementary school next year. (Baltimore)

One is older elementary and she will be $11,700 and my younger elementary school daughter will be $11,250. Plus a $750 per family building fee.

That is without breaks. BH they give breaks as needed. Last year my husband had just starting working after being unemployed for a while. They gave us a nice break so we could get back on our feet.

Mesivta on the other hand.....his tuition is $15,965 + $3700 food fee/dorm fee + $500 building fee for a grand total of $20,165. Again they give generous breaks as needed.

amother
  Dustypink

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 11:07 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks.

If my school was this price I’d pay in full plus extra donation.

We do.
50k this year.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 12:24 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
We do.
50k this year.

50k donation??

Wow. Incredible.

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 12:25 pm
Looks like our school is definitely more than the average but not over the top compared to some out of town communities.

Thanks for voting and sharing your experiences.

amother
Ultramarine  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 3:41 pm
Oot

$8500 with fees before breaks for k-8. I paid $3500 per child the past year.

amother
  Ultramarine

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 3:43 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
Our local high school is 43k shock I don't expect we would pay near that, though. My son is only 2 so I'm not sure what our exact final cost would be, but we have a friend in the nursery program (which is $33k) who told us they pay $16k after discounts.

We sent to a HS that was $45k with everything. They were very generous and we paid $16-$18k over the years.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sat, Jul 27 2024, 11:23 pm
Elementary is a little over 5k but it is shorter hours, no transportation, lunches, trips, or anything.

High school is over 15k.

Yeshiva Gedola is over 20k.

Tuition this year is $68k so far and I am still waiting on amounts for 2 other kids.

We make over $120k but there is no way I can afford that much in tuition, as much as I value paying for my children's chinuch.

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 9:51 am
School's official price is $11,700
Between vouchers and income eligible vouchers program our tuition obligation is $0
We pay about $500 per child in registration fees
The perks of living in a vouchers state!!!!

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 9:59 am
Close to 105K.

6 kids.

2 dorm HS, 1 local HS, 3 elementary

5 towns yeshivish

amother
Nectarine

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 10:26 am
We pay a little over 350 for our girls in elementary school
And and a little over 400 for our preschool son. (Kita alef. He just turned 5) payments are 12 months even though girls school is only 9.5 months and cheder/boys school is 12 months.
But that's without transportation and other fees. Like we pay separate for camp affiliated to school. (Obviously) And separate for transportation for summer.
Then there is Registration, book fees and I'm probably forgetting more.

Totall would be around 15-16K for our 3 school aged kids.
Satmar KJ.
I know families living in kj pay less than families living outside. (And transportation is a lot more expensive)
And I thought we have cheaper tuition.....

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 1:29 pm
Around $15000 for lower elementary boys’ school. Baltimore

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 1:53 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
We pay a little over 350 for our girls in elementary school
And and a little over 400 for our preschool son. (Kita alef. He just turned 5) payments are 12 months even though girls school is only 9.5 months and cheder/boys school is 12 months.
But that's without transportation and other fees. Like we pay separate for camp affiliated to school. (Obviously) And separate for transportation for summer.
Then there is Registration, book fees and I'm probably forgetting more.

Totall would be around 15-16K for our 3 school aged kids.
Satmar KJ.
I know families living in kj pay less than families living outside. (And transportation is a lot more expensive)
And I thought we have cheaper tuition.....

Sounds a LOT cheaper than anything else
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics