Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming for October 7 victims …
Previous  1  2

essie14

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 9:11 am
Off the top of my head, Yehuda Bechar was killed on Oct 7 at Nova Festival.
Yosef Guedalia killed in battle on Oct 7.
Srgt Daniel Perez killed and taken hostage on Oct 7
Binyamin Airley killed in Gaza

All names from Tanach

amother
Dimgray  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 9:13 am
I was thinking of the name Simcha, because in Israel Oct 7 was Simchat Torah

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 1:41 am
amother OP wrote:
… or any other related name like Beeri.
Has it been done or would you do it as a more right wing couple?

Would you use this name even though it’s not usually done in your circles, because it’s a name of a tzadik/ah who had died as a kiddush Hashem?
Many of them had more modern names that are not usually done in yeshivish/chareidi circles.
Do you think it would make a difference if you were in IL or abroad? Would you assume it would be more acceptable to name „outside your circles“ in IL because people would relate to it more?

Asking because the tragedy is one of the reasons why I decided to have another child.

Be'eri was always used in DL circles, though it wasn't common, it wasn't unheard of either.
Ditto for Nir, though it tends more secular, and Oz, which I've only heard among secular.

If you name for someone who died on Simchat Torah, I would suggest adding a name.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 2:33 am
OP beautiful.
I think we are all somewhat in mourning, every child named for anyone killed al kiddush Hashem is somewhat of a nechama to us all.
(I also heard that a name isn’t added in that case, but ask)
(And if you name after someone specific, maybe share with that family as it will be a comfort to them, and shows how we are all really one family)
I wish you everything smooth, and you should have much nachas!!

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 12:26 pm
If you're looking for girls names, Hadar Berdichevsky and Ruth Peretz were both killed on October 7. Ruth was a special needs girl who's father took her to Nova, and Hadar was a courageous mother who fought for her children for hours.

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 1:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
… or any other related name like Beeri.
Has it been done or would you do it as a more right wing couple?

Would you use this name even though it’s not usually done in your circles, because it’s a name of a tzadik/ah who had died as a kiddush Hashem?
Many of them had more modern names that are not usually done in yeshivish/chareidi circles.
Do you think it would make a difference if you were in IL or abroad? Would you assume it would be more acceptable to name „outside your circles“ in IL because people would relate to it more?

Asking because the tragedy is one of the reasons why I decided to have another child.

It was also my strong push for having another child. BH currently pregnant. I find it very overwhelming because there are literally hundreds of beautiful people and I can only choose 2 or 3 names. They were all such special neshamas, and I hate to only pick out a few. I’m also from chareidi circles, but I don’t care much about sticking out. This is too meaningful for us. I think rather than picking a person, we’re going to go with a meaning, something about our nation living on or being chosen by HaShem.

scruffy

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 1:21 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
Also, Beeri is from Tanach (10 points to anyone who knows who he is without looking it up).

Hoshea maybe?

amother
DarkRed

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 1:21 pm
I love Ruchama

amother
  Dimgray

Post Sat, Jul 27 2024, 1:54 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
It was also my strong push for having another child. BH currently pregnant. I find it very overwhelming because there are literally hundreds of beautiful people and I can only choose 2 or 3 names. They were all such special neshamas, and I hate to only pick out a few. I’m also from chareidi circles, but I don’t care much about sticking out. This is too meaningful for us. I think rather than picking a person, we’re going to go with a meaning, something about our nation living on or being chosen by HaShem.

Emmanuel
Nechemia
Amichai
Avichai
Elad
Israel
Ami
Tzion
Ben-Tzion

Chasya
Bat-Ami
Bat-Tzion
Nili
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names