Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Do I need to tip?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Do I need to tip the recommended amount?
Yes  
 45%  [ 27 ]
No  
 55%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 60

amother
Aquamarine  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:19 am
amother Blonde wrote:
Except the girls are expecting at least some tips. They possibly were told to.
If it becomes known that they won't get tips, then we shouldn't be surprised that the girls aren't as into their job, going through the motions and doing the bare minimum.

If we as a community want counselors who are creative, energetic and enthusiastic and do more than the bare minimum, then we need to actively advocate for better pay/or tip as much as we can. Not shrug and say "I'm paying, the camp should figure it out"

Why not? I am paying a fortune for camp, so they are the ones who need to figure it out.

Maybe if they give me a break, I can help them figure it out. But for the prices they charge + all the extra fees, I'm definitely not being proactive on this.

realtalk

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:21 am
I give all assistants a $5 gift card to the ice cream shop. In Lakewood the assistants are all under 13 typically, they just want to feel appreciated, they aren't trying to pay for bills with it

amother
Almond  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:23 am
Sleep away camp, you know going in what tips are, and if you don't, well find out before you sign up. And if you don't want to tip, don't send. You don't go in to a restaurant, eat a meal, and then decide not to tip the waiter and/ or waitress.

If you are paying 3500 per half, do the right thing and don't be cheap or become morally proper, and try to justify your stinginess, or withholding of tips. You can justify it from today till tomorrow, but it's wrong to stiff the hardworking counselors who are taking care of your perfect angels.

Day Camp, is more necessity than luxury. Do the best you can. Tip something. A small amount. But to ignore these hardworking teens who worked their tails off for YOUR KIDS and then for you to give the a chocolate bar is not OK.

Signed, a mother who has been on both ends of this and at times struggled for Parnassah, so I get it.

amother
  Blonde

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:28 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Why not? I am paying a fortune for camp, so they are the ones who need to figure it out.

Maybe if they give me a break, I can help them figure it out. But for the prices they charge + all the extra fees, I'm definitely not being proactive on this.

So you're ok with the fact that the 17 year old counselor who's watching your 5 year old- taking her to the bathroom, tying her shoes, portioning out lunch is getting $600 for 4 weeks. She was told her salary $600+ tips with suggested tips between $15-$25 per camper. But out of the 20 girls in the bunk, she got $40.

You can't tip, even $5. Fine. I get it. Moneys tight by me also. But you don't even think we as a community should be advocating for better pay.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:30 am
This is for Daycamp - 2 different camps.
From the Rebbe/Morah, all the councellors, down to the bus driver & lifeguard. If I give each one just $5, it is still almost $100.
I know they are all relying on tips - as I remember what its like too!

amother
  Snow  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:33 am
amother Amber wrote:
I don't tip counselors. I usually send a chocolate bar with a thank you card.
That said, $200 per half for 2 kids is a ridiculous amount for tips. The camp should be paying the counselors adequately instead of relying on tips. Camp is expensive enough as is.

Why? Maybe they are allergic? Maybe they hate chocolate?
A chocolate and danish can cost about 5 dollars these days.
A gift card to ice cream store is cute but also not always practical. Is the store accessible to the counselor? Will the gift card sit unused?
Just give the cash no matter what the denomination. They will feel appreciated even if it is 5 or 10 dollars.
Camp recommendations are just that- an idea. You give what you can. But please give something.

amother
  Snow  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:38 am
amother OP wrote:
This is for Daycamp - 2 different camps.
From the Rebbe/Morah, all the councellors, down to the bus driver & lifeguard. If I give each one just $5, it is still almost $100.
I know they are all relying on tips - as I remember what its like too!

See you already cut it down by half.

amother
  Aquamarine  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:40 am
amother Blonde wrote:
So you're ok with the fact that the 17 year old counselor who's watching your 5 year old- taking her to the bathroom, tying her shoes, portioning out lunch is getting $600 for 4 weeks. She was told her salary $600+ tips with suggested tips between $15-$25 per camper. But out of the 20 girls in the bunk, she got $40.

You can't tip, even $5. Fine. I get it. Moneys tight by me also. But you don't even think we as a community should be advocating for better pay.

I agree wholeheartedly that counselors should get better pay, but I don't agree that I need to be proactive about.

Partly because they charge exorbitant prices and partly because they won't listen to a word we say anyways.

Honestly, what will work will be the passive aggressive approach. Parents stop tipping, camps are unable to find counselors at low pay, so they'll have to increase their pay.

Or another approach is that we parents don't allow our kids to take counselors jobs for petty pay.

But will we ever organize ourselves to stand up to this craziness. Of course not. If I speak up or stand up to this, I will be all alone. So yeah, I do what works for me.

amother
  Aquamarine  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:44 am
amother Almond wrote:
Sleep away camp, you know going in what tips are, and if you don't, well find out before you sign up. And if you don't want to tip, don't send. You don't go in to a restaurant, eat a meal, and then decide not to tip the waiter and/ or waitress.

If you are paying 3500 per half, do the right thing and don't be cheap or become morally proper, and try to justify your stinginess, or withholding of tips. You can justify it from today till tomorrow, but it's wrong to stiff the hardworking counselors who are taking care of your perfect angels.

Day Camp, is more necessity than luxury. Do the best you can. Tip something. A small amount. But to ignore these hardworking teens who worked their tails off for YOUR KIDS and then for you to give the a chocolate bar is not OK.

Signed, a mother who has been on both ends of this and at times struggled for Parnassah, so I get it.

This is precisely the mindset that I find off putting. Just because I struggled and scrimped and saved and maybe even borrowed to get my kid into camp (there is no daycare alternative for her age), doesn't mean I have the ability now to find some spare cash. YT is around the corner, back to school is almost here, so every penny counts.

When you make it sound like it's no big deal or that we are standing on principle instead of financial matters, it actually makes me less willing to find a workaround. Stop downplaying the cost of tips, it isn't a petty little thing when you're financially strapped.

amother
Slateblue  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:02 am
I think it's fine to tip less than the recommended amount, but not ok to skip altogether. Your oldest is 9. This is not your first time sending to camp. Tips happen every year, this should not be a surprise. When you are signing up for next year, and looking at the prices, just mentally add $200 (or whatever it is you plan to add) and budget according to that.

amother
  Snow  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:11 am
Am curious. Is a pot you put into? Or each one individually?

my5kids

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:14 am
As a former camp administrator, parent of former camp staff members and now parent of a 11 year old in day camp, I can definitely say that the staff members depend on getting some sort of tip - no matter how small. The tip is more about showing appreciation to the person who actually cared for your child than how much you give. No one complains about tipping a rebbe or therapist or giving a gift at the end of the year. The counselors work very hard and like everyone else, want to feel appreciated.
That being said, I am not always able to tip the suggested amount so I usually do a percentage of what is recommended and do the same across the board - Usually 75% of the suggested amount if I can.

amother
Hotpink  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:17 am
Can I point out that in addition to the financial cost, it is also takes a significant amount of time to handle tips? First I have to go to the bank to ensure that I have bills in the right denominations (can't give a check for $5!). Then I have to write a thank you note (even one two sentences long) per counselor. One of my kids has five counselors/assistants! Plus all the other kids, plus bus monitors and drivers and I can't remember who else.

When you say that even if I can't tip generously, I should at least write a nice card ... that in itself is a burden. I wish that camps had an option to Zelle.

amother
  Hotpink  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:18 am
my5kids wrote:
As a former camp administrator, parent of former camp staff members and now parent of a 11 year old in day camp, I can definitely say that the staff members depend on getting some sort of tip - no matter how small. The tip is more about showing appreciation to the person who actually cared for your child than how much you give. No one complains about tipping a rebbe or therapist or giving a gift at the end of the year. The counselors work very hard and like everyone else, want to feel appreciated.
That being said, I am not always able to tip the suggested amount so I usually do a percentage of what is recommended and do the same across the board - Usually 75% of the suggested amount if I can.

Keep your eyes open. These threads open like clockwork every Chanukah and Purim. Smile

amother
  Hotpink

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:19 am
(But also, a gift for a rebbi who spent 10 months with my child is nothing at all like a gift for a counselor who spent 3.5 weeks.)

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:19 am
my5kids wrote:

Lol what.

Those threads are an annual tradition over here.

amother
Hawthorn  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:22 am
Halachicaly I believe tips have become the norm and expectation. If service was ok you are expected to tip. If you cant afford to tip make other summer arrangements. These kids work really hard and hardly get paid. It is not fair to them. Can you imagine you finish your job and your boss says sorry but I can’t afford to pay u?!

amother
  Snow  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:39 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
Can I point out that in addition to the financial cost, it is also takes a significant amount of time to handle tips? First I have to go to the bank to ensure that I have bills in the right denominations (can't give a check for $5!). Then I have to write a thank you note (even one two sentences long) per counselor. One of my kids has five counselors/assistants! Plus all the other kids, plus bus monitors and drivers and I can't remember who else.

When you say that even if I can't tip generously, I should at least write a nice card ... that in itself is a burden. I wish that camps had an option to Zelle.

Write the note in the envelope.
Dear counselour thank you very much for a wonderful summer.

amother
  Snow

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:41 am
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Halachicaly I believe tips have become the norm and expectation. If service was ok you are expected to tip. If you cant afford to tip make other summer arrangements. These kids work really hard and hardly get paid. It is not fair to them. Can you imagine you finish your job and your boss says sorry but I can’t afford to pay u?!

Ha! I have a child who hasn’t been payed for months. Boss says don’t have money now.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:11 am
amother Hawthorn wrote:

If the counselors are legally in the category of tipped employees like waiters, then that needs to be in the camp contract. Otherwise there is no obligation.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps