Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Would you drive though this?
Previous  1  2

amother
  Puce  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 8:08 am
I think it’s efficient if you know where you’re going. It’s dangerous if you have no idea what you’re doing.

singleagain  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 8:10 am
amother Puce wrote:
I think it’s efficient if you know where you’re going. It’s dangerous if you have no idea what you’re doing.

And if they were more commonly used then they would be on every driver's test and everyone would know how to use them.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 8:14 am
singleagain wrote:
And if they were more commonly used then they would be on every driver's test and everyone would know how to use them.

This. When I converted my license in Israel years ago, I had to drive in down town jerusalem. At the time it was terrifying (21 plus year later its nothing with nothing) and I remember seeing a traffic circle and not knowing what to do. I had to ask the teacher. But over the years, traffic circles have become second nature. Its not even an issue because they are used literally all over, in Israel.

amother
Watermelon  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 8:23 am
amother Puce wrote:
I never heard of a roundabout until a few years ago when we were driving in Israel and Waze announced- at the roundabout… I remember saying out loud- what’s a roundabout?
Seems they are very common in Israel and other countries.
When I came back to America I wondered why there are no roundabouts in New Jersey.
You get used to it after a while.

There is a roundabout from the 37 to the 70. All the way at the end of hope chapel towards Toms River /
There is one in freehold and raritan.
But we have here these half turn circles where you go right because you can’t make a left. Like by aldis on the 9.

Writergirl  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 10:03 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
There is a roundabout from the 37 to the 70. All the way at the end of hope chapel towards Toms River /
There is one in freehold and raritan.
But we have here these half turn circles where you go right because you can’t make a left. Like by aldis on the 9.

Off topic but it's not The 70 or The 37. Hey, why not The Hope Chapel. Or The Toms River? Just my pet peeve.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 10:06 am
Writergirl wrote:
Off topic but it's not The 70 or The 37. Hey, why not The Hope Chapel. Or The Toms River? Just my pet peeve.

Is it really worth it to get upset about a regional dialectical way of talking?

amother
  Watermelon  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:02 am
Writergirl wrote:

How would you write it?
Hope chapel is a rd. The 70 is a highway.
Toms river is town.

amother
Brass  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:28 am
Writergirl wrote:
Hope Chapel and Toms River are not highways or freeways, and they aren’t numbered. That’s not a pet peeve that makes any kind of sense.

amother
  Brass

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:29 am
amother Puce wrote:
I never heard of a roundabout until a few years ago when we were driving in Israel and Waze announced- at the roundabout… I remember saying out loud- what’s a roundabout?
Seems they are very common in Israel and other countries.
When I came back to America I wondered why there are no roundabouts in New Jersey.
You get used to it after a while.
We have jughandles instead. I way prefer those. I’d probably be like that dude in Shabbat is comings video if I had to do a roundabout.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:40 am
amother Brass wrote:
We have jughandles instead. I way prefer those. I’d probably be like that dude in Shabbat is comings video if I had to do a roundabout.

I had to look up what that was. Interesting. But unless there are jug handles on all 4 sides of any 4 way stop, its not going to really help so much, right?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:35 pm
How would you write it?
Hope chapel is a rd. The 70 is a highway.
Toms river is town.

It's Rt. 70 and Rt. 9 and Rt. 37. I'm not upset, it's just one of those things that annoy me.

amother
  Watermelon  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 4:48 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
It's Rt. 70 and Rt. 9 and Rt. 37. I'm not upset, it's just one of those things that annoy me.

I hear you. But that’s the way people say it here. As in -you take the nine to…..
or the store is on the nine
is it grammatically incorrect?

Writergirl

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 5:08 pm
I hear you. But that’s the way people say it here. As in -you take the nine to…..
or the store is on the nine
is it grammatically incorrect?

Yes, it is incorrect. Not the biggest deal...just my pet peeve.

amother
  Watermelon

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 5:13 pm
Writergirl wrote:
Yes, it is incorrect. Not the biggest deal...just my pet peeve.

This peeve Should be your biggest problem in life.

amother
  Puce

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 6:02 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I had to look up what that was. Interesting. But unless there are jug handles on all 4 sides of any 4 way stop, its not going to really help so much, right?

It’s funny because I’m originally from New York. I don’t remember any jug handles there. When I moved to New Jersey 20 years ago and saw jug handles I thought it was a great idea. Otherwise there are signs all over that says- No U Turn.
I think roundabouts are even better but you have to know what you’re doing. First time I saw a roundabout in Israel I had no idea what to do.

Busybee5

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 6:07 pm
I learnt something new today. Do you not have roundabouts in the USA? Here we have them all over the place!

ETA: I've never driven on such a huge chaotic one! The hardest one I've been on myself is the one right by the Trafford centre. I avoid motorways so I get loads of roundabouts instead but the smaller one are ok. . This one in Swindon would make me panic!!

Last edited by Busybee5 on Mon, Jul 22 2024, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 6:09 pm
amother Puce wrote:
It’s funny because I’m originally from New York. I don’t remember any jug handles there. When I moved to New Jersey 20 years ago and saw jug handles I thought it was a great idea. Otherwise there are signs all over that says- No U Turn.
I think roundabouts are even better but you have to know what you’re doing. First time I saw a roundabout in Israel I had no idea what to do.

Jug handles are often called Jersey left,because New Jersey has the more jug handles then any other state.
In fact in the list of weird things about New Jersey right after no pumping your own gas, is making a left turn from the right lane.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics