Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S\O BY curriculum Chasidish girls curriculum
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:22 am
amother Winterberry wrote:
Many don't do regents, but use previous regents as a base of learning. Chasidish schools are varying on the level of curriculum.

Can you name the many that don't take regents?
Aside from Satmar, Viznitz and maybe skver schools, most do.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:13 am
Chassidish circulation usually follows the chassidus. They learn strong Yiddish how yo read write and vocabulary. Halacha is more strict. A by learns more basic halacha. The kids are also a bit more formal most have to mature a little bit earlier because at 18 they are already engaged to be married. They also learn more homemaking skills in the high school. Cooking skills,hair cutting skills to name a few. The schools usually let almost no technology for the girls.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:23 am
amother Hunter wrote:
Depends which. My Belze neighbor didn't learn inside a Chumash. I don't think they learned more than Rashi. Satmar for sure doesn't. Many Chassidish schools in New York don't take regents or learn certain sciences in high school.

I went to belz monsey and we learned chumash inside with all the meforshim. my bunkmates in belz camp from belz bp also did.
I believe satmar is the only chassidish school these days that doesn't learn anything text based.

there are def some chassidish schools that are on a lower level than BY schools in secular subjects, but it really varies from school to school.

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:41 am
I’m a BY graduate was once shmoozing with a Satmar high school teacher (she was a client of mine). We discussed the differences and she was saying Satmar doesn’t learn Chumash etc inside the Sefer which is a huge difference from BY curriculum. In BY there is a huge emphasis on chumash and meforshim inside-most graduates can open any chumash and read rambans etc. I think that’s the biggest difference but doesn’t app,y to all chassidish girls schools. Limudei chop varies a lot- some BY are very academic think TAG, drav meir where girls are fully prepared to go to any college they want to and some BY it’s much less.

amother
Magnolia

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:51 am
amother Ginger wrote:
Chassidish circulation usually follows the chassidus. They learn strong Yiddish how yo read write and vocabulary. Halacha is more strict. A by learns more basic halacha. The kids are also a bit more formal most have to mature a little bit earlier because at 18 they are already engaged to be married. They also learn more homemaking skills in the high school. Cooking skills,hair cutting skills to name a few. The schools usually let almost no technology for the girls.

A BY learns halacha inside and out. Not basic level. Unless you mean they teach chassidish minhag as halachos? Like 2 coverings are necessary or you must wear beige tights? Because halachic tznius, shabbos, kashrus etc.. is taught thoroughly. So what are you talking about?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:49 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
I went to a Williamsburg school and we took regents. Our learning was pretty intense.
(I actually don't understand the point of regents, was torture for many of us.)

Do you mind sharing which school this was and what decade? I'm really curious which school this was.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:53 am
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Do you mind sharing which school this was and what decade? I'm really curious which school this was.

My guess is it was Vien

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:59 am
amother Canary wrote:
I’m a BY graduate was once shmoozing with a Satmar high school teacher (she was a client of mine). We discussed the differences and she was saying Satmar doesn’t learn Chumash etc inside the Sefer which is a huge difference from BY curriculum. In BY there is a huge emphasis on chumash and meforshim inside-most graduates can open any chumash and read rambans etc. I think that’s the biggest difference but doesn’t app,y to all chassidish girls schools. Limudei chop varies a lot- some BY are very academic think TAG, drav meir where girls are fully prepared to go to any college they want to and some BY it’s much less.

Not learning inside is a Satmer thing, not a chassidish thing. Most chassidish schools learn inside with all meforshim.

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:59 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
My guess is it was Vien

Not Vien.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 9:02 am
amother Ginger wrote:

I went to a chassidish school in williamsburg? Haircutting and cooking? Never. Who gets engaged these days at 18 in 12th grade? And no, we didnt learn a STRONG yiddish. We read yiddish stories in the lower grades. Didnt learn yiddish as a subject at all after 3rd or 4th grade.

Maybe you are referencing satmar?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 9:03 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
Not Vien.

I am not aware of a single school in Williamsburg that took regents. Most chassidish schools dont.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 9:06 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
I am not aware of a single school in Williamsburg that took regents. Most chassidish schools dont.

Vien takes Regents. Pupa and Klausenberg possibly do too.

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 9:07 am

This was 20 years ago. Said school doesn't take regents anymore.

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 9:09 am
I went to a chassidish school in williamsburg? Haircutting and cooking? Never. Who gets engaged these days at 18 in 12th grade? And no, we didnt learn a STRONG yiddish. We read yiddish stories in the lower grades. Didnt learn yiddish as a subject at all after 3rd or 4th grade.

Maybe you are referencing satmar?

We had sewing, haircutting & cooking classes. (Not Satmer) I think most schools took it out of the curriculum already by now.

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:39 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
This was 20 years ago. Said school doesn't take regents anymore.

Ah... the dumbing down of society. It's all over, including in Regents schools.

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:40 pm
In Monsey most chassidish schools are NOT equivalent to BY curiculum. Only one takes Regents, AFAIK, the new Bobov. Anyone who says they're equivalent has never attended BY.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:28 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
I went to a Williamsburg school and we took regents. Our learning was pretty intense.
(I actually don't understand the point of regents, was torture for many of us.)

Vien? I don't think any other school in Williamsburg takes regents.

I think some credits count towards a degree.

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:29 pm
amother Ginger wrote:

I attended satmar monsey.nwe learned haircutting in 12th grade. No cooking ect.
And with my chassidish education, I can barely reach and write in yiddish. I'm fluent when I talk but would never ever be able to read a yiddish novel for the life of me

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:34 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Vien? I don't think any other school in Williamsburg takes regents.

I think some credits count towards a degree.

Does klousenberg in Williamsburg not take regents? Klousenberg BP takes for years now.

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:41 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
Depends which. My Belze neighbor didn't learn inside a Chumash. I don't think they learned more than Rashi. Satmar for sure doesn't. Many Chassidish schools in New York don't take regents or learn certain sciences in high school.
that’s no true I went to Belz school we did learn Chumash inside and we literally covered everything, rashi, rambam, ramban, toisfes….. cover to cover. my school is definitely not less intense then a BY school. Same with the secular curriculum. My Belz school is considered one of the higher education schools
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics