0%  [ 2 ]
 4%  [ 10 ]
All fleishig or parve  
 36%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 211

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 10:12 am
amother Azure wrote:
For those that make a milchig kiddush, is anyone hungry for a meal afterwards?
I used to do a kiddush but then nobody was interested in a meal afterwards (especially little kids).
So now we do a milchig meal first and then a big yummy dessert "kiddush".
We fill up on nutritious food first and then everyone eats much less of the kiddush food.

But thats spoiling everyones appetite for the cheesecake! 🎂

My motto: dessert first! 🍰

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 10:13 am
amother Azure wrote:
I used to do a kiddush but then nobody was interested in a meal afterwards (especially little kids).
We fill up on nutritious food first and then everyone eats much less of the kiddush food.

Yes because our kiddush is only a slice of cheese cake.

Ruchel  

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 10:20 am
All cultural. Dutch are very into dairy, I've been told, even for shabbes lunch IIRC. Ashki and Sefardi generally do all meat, with snacks dairy.

essie14

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 10:34 am
Israel - 1 dairy meal 1 meat

tweety1

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 10:39 am
None. Just a big milchig kiddush.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 10:47 am
It's a strong minhag for us to eat all meals fleishig. Meat is better than chicken.

We used to do a large milchig kiddush with family the first morning. Everyone made one delicacy in bulk and brought it over before yom tov. It was so lovely. And second morning we'd do a kiddush at home. Take a walk, chill maybe play a game or sing with the kids. And about 2 hours or so later do the fleishig meal.

But then we moved just far enough to be too far to walk (1.5 hours+ each way. One way uphill with no shade!).... so now we do a kiddush at home both mornings. And then wash for fleishig meal.

bsy

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 10:48 am
2 night meals are milchig, 2 day meals are fleishig. We have a milchig meal on pesach too.

amother
Charcoal  

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 10:51 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
We have milchig kiddush. We also do a milchig appetizer at the day meals: wash (usually on milchig challah) have milchig appetizer then change the tablecloth and bring out fleishig (sometimes another appetizer, sometimes we go straight to main course) and another (pareve) challah.

Not sure what to choose in poll.

Is that the same suda or do you bentchand wash again?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 11:08 am
amother Winterberry wrote:
Why isn’t cheesecake a full meal? 🤣🤣🤣

I think we should have a cheesecake challenge and only eat cheesecake (ok and maybe ice cream) over the two day chag!

My family of origin once did something like this. We each made a cheesecake and my mom invited over another family for a Shavuot meal to be the judges. She served a huge salad as a first course, as a nod to eating something nutritious, and then the main course was the cheesecake contest. Of course, the family invited was one that would be cool with it and they were warned in advance.

OP, we're having 2 dairy meals, both at night.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 11:12 am
amother Azure wrote:

We keep the kiddush small. There’s no need for 20 things. A small slice of cheese cake with some salad and iced coffee will do.

To answer OPs question, zero actual meals. We do one dairy kiddush the first morning.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 11:18 am
We're making a bris on Shavuos, and still trying to work out the logistics so most people will be awake. Whatever time, its going to be a milchic meal, with bagels and quiches and salads, and probably ice cream and cheese cake for dessert.

The evening meal will be fleishic, mostly from the freezer.

Since we're currently inclined to have the bris (and seuda) mid afternoon, we'll have a kiddush in the morning, and that will be milchic breakfast foods. The whole day is getting pretty complicated.

amother
  Lightyellow  

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 11:21 am
amother Charcoal wrote:
Is that the same suda or do you bentchand wash again?

Same seuda. It’s brought down as a remembrance of the shtay halechem.

Quote:
According to halacha you can't do that, if you wash eat milchigs and even if you wait and then have fleishigs and bench after fleishigs, it's like one meal, you can't have mulching and fleishig in same meal

Actually, this is brought down in halacha as the ideal way to do the seuda on Yom Tov. When we first got married dh thought like you and insisted on 4 meat meals (I had seen this & thought it would be a great compromise-I had grown up with 4 dairy). Recently, he learned through the halachos and came to me suggesting this option. I laughed, reminded him of his original reaction, he apologized, I agreed.

Quote:
A dairy challah is definitely a problem without a siman.

Not to worry, we make the dairy challah a different shape.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 11:22 am
Growing up we loved our two milchig meals, it was exciting and different and something to look forward to. It made Shavuos feel like Shavuos and different from the other yomim tovim.

We are probably doing the first two meals milchig and the last two fleishigs.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 11:43 am
I had milchig meals while single...4... it was awesome!

Now married BH, my husband doesn't feel like it's yom tov without meat... Ironically, his father loves milchigs and he grew up with milchig meals. I think he was waiting to get married so he could have fleishing :-)

We do make a milchig kiddush, but we make it at 7:30 AM (breakfast time!) when my husband comes home from davening after staying up all night. So we have kiddush, then cheesecake and cheese danishes and cinnamon buns. My kids are young still and we love it.

Then DH goes to sleep, and we have a fleishig meal at 1:00 PM or so.

But I truly do miss the days of lasgana and ziti and cheesy onion soup...

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 11:56 am
Not to worry, we make the dairy challah a different shape.

Just Curious what "affiliation" /circles your in.
We makpid wash separate meals and wait at min 30 minutes btw meals

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 12:01 pm
I grew up half an hour in between milk and meat, now rinsing

amother
  Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 12:02 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
Just Curious what "affiliation" /circles your in.
We makpid wash separate meals and wait at min 30 minutes btw meals

Lakewood Yeshivish (dh learned by R’ Dovid Soleviechik and can be called a ‘brisker’)

Btw DH thought like you until he learned it inside. He had told me that the people I had seen doing it obviously didn’t know the proper halacha. As I mentioned above-he apologized when he learned it.

amother
Mistyrose  

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 12:05 pm
dankbar wrote:
According to halacha you can't do that, if you wash eat milchigs and even if you wait and then have fleishigs and bench after fleishigs, it's like one meal, you can't have mulching and fleishig in same meal

Not according to my Rav...

amother
  Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 12:06 pm
amother Azure wrote:

Yes, the men like their meat lol
But anyways at the kiddush I serve eggplant parmesan, brocolli and cheese, pasta salad, veggie platter with dips so there is plenty of real food along those cheesecakes and muffins and goodies.

amother
  Charcoal

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 12:09 pm
Lakewood Yeshivish (dh learned by R’ Dovid Soleviechik and can be called a ‘brisker’)

Btw DH thought like you until he learned it inside. He had told me that the people I had seen doing it obviously didn’t know the proper halacha. As I mentioned above-he apologized when he learned it.

So interesting thanks for sharing.
Chadidish here. Never heard such psak. Ganna ask hubby tonight....
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics