Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Officially losing it- kids won’t sleep
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Black

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 2:35 am
amother Clover wrote:
Turn all the lights off in the house off. Don’t speak to them once you say goodnight. They come out you take their hand and firmly walk them back to bed. Over and over again without a word. When they start staying in their room you make a huge deal about it the next morning.

This
OP check out Supernannys stay in bed technique. It works.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 2:53 am
Did you try positive reinforcement?

Charts hanging on the fridge and every day they do it well they can put a sticker, and at the end of the week they get a prize. Sometimes kids respond better to positive reinforcement than negative.

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 2:56 am
Did you try playing something for them to listen to like Marvelous Middos Machine or stories? Even if they don't fall asleep at least they can be entertained in bed and you can be free to go.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 7:33 am
Two questions.

First, at any point from when you start the bedtime routine to when you put them into bed, read a story, etc, do you notice either of them getting tired? Before the routine starts? Do either of them nap?

Second, have you ever tried putting them to bed at separate times, on purpose or because that's where life led that day? If so, did either kid do better when only they were in the room or were the only one awake?

anonymous mom

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:08 am
What time are they waking up? You need to make sure they are out of bed latest by 7:00 AM. If they're waking up later than 7:00 they may just not be tired enough until 9:00 PM.

amother
Alyssum  

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:32 am
Look up the silent return to bed technique. Or supernanny which is similar.

We also used a wakeup clock, which signals clearly when they are supposed to be in bed vs. out of it and used rewards with it. But if this won't work alone for your kids, do it with the silent return to bed technique as well.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:46 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
Did you try positive reinforcement?

Charts hanging on the fridge and every day they do it well they can put a sticker, and at the end of the week they get a prize. Sometimes kids respond better to positive reinforcement than negative.

Yes. Both with a chart and with instant smaller prizes each day.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:47 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
Did you try playing something for them to listen to like Marvelous Middos Machine or stories? Even if they don't fall asleep at least they can be entertained in bed and you can be free to go.

Yes. They listen to the whole thing and when it’s over they’re still up and come out. Or they lose patience half way through.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:49 am
amother Dahlia wrote:
Two questions.

First, at any point from when you start the bedtime routine to when you put them into bed, read a story, etc, do you notice either of them getting tired? Before the routine starts? Do either of them nap?

Second, have you ever tried putting them to bed at separate times, on purpose or because that's where life led that day? If so, did either kid do better when only they were in the room or were the only one awake?

Neither nap. One will get tired around 5pm so definitely can be a second wind situation. How can I tweak that?

They each take about an hour to fall asleep separately- when my husband is home we’ll split up . It’s easier but not possible most days+ still takes forever.

To other poster- they are up by 7, 7:30 at the very latest. Out to playgroup/ school by 8:30 and have action packed days.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:50 am
Sounds like they’re getting 10 hours of sleep. That’s all some of my kids needed. The whole 7 to 7 idea just doesn’t work for everyone.

amother
Honeydew  

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:53 am
amother OP wrote:
Routine, threats, bribes, hours and hours NOTHING GETS THESE KIDS TO SLEEP. It’s ruining my life and my ability to parent.

My kids are 5 and 3, they aren’t falling asleep before 9 pm. Bedtime starts 7 currently with a bath.

I don’t have time to make phone calls or decompress or eat dinner in peace or go on the treadmill or ANYTHING.

It’s come to the point where I don’t know what to do. I’m out of ideas.

Try dimming/turning off most lights in the house two hours before bedtime. I find my daughter is rly stimulated when lights are on before bed
Also look into tart cherry juice it’s like natural melatonin.

amother
Midnight  

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:09 am
I think you’re starting the routine too early. My children 5 and 3 have never gone to sleep before 8:30. I start their routine between 7:30 and 8:00 and I’m happy when they fall asleep before 9:00. Some children are not made for the early bedtime. I go to bed by 9:30, no decompressing, etc.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:26 am
amother Midnight wrote:
I think you’re starting the routine too early. My children 5 and 3 have never gone to sleep before 8:30. I start their routine between 7:30 and 8:00 and I’m happy when they fall asleep before 9:00. Some children are not made for the early bedtime. I go to bed by 9:30, no decompressing, etc.

I don’t know anyone that does that. When do they wake?

They seem exhausted on this amount of sleep and when I do manage to get them to sleep before 8 they are much more rested and wake the same time.

Also, on the odd night that we are out late they still give me a hard time.

Maybe I’ll try the tart cherry. I already do some magnesium roller, lavender in their bath and very little light once it’s dark out. They have no screens etc.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:27 am
mommyhood wrote:
Sounds like they’re getting 10 hours of sleep. That’s all some of my kids needed. The whole 7 to 7 idea just doesn’t work for everyone.

They fell asleep closer to 10 yesterday. That’s 9 hours and they we’re exhausted this morning by drop off already…

amother
Blush  

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:28 am
amother OP wrote:
They fell asleep closer to 10 yesterday. That’s 9 hours and they we’re exhausted this morning by drop off already…

I'd say to try starting bedtime later. Bedtime at 8:30. Most of my kids go/went to sleep at 8:30 at that age.

amother
  Midnight

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:32 am
amother OP wrote:
I don’t know anyone that does that. When do they wake?

They seem exhausted on this amount of sleep and when I do manage to get them to sleep before 8 they are much more rested and wake the same time.

Also, on the odd night that we are out late they still give me a hard time.

Maybe I’ll try the tart cherry. I already do some magnesium roller, lavender in their bath and very little light once it’s dark out. They have no screens etc.

They wake up around 7:30/ 7:45 well rested.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:35 am
amother Blush wrote:
I'd say to try starting bedtime later. Bedtime at 8:30. Most of my kids go/went to sleep at 8:30 at that age.

I’m hesitant to do that because they seem really tired at 7:30 + give me a really hard time going to sleep after a later night also (like if my husband is around for dinner they go to bed 8/8:30 but it’s still the same song and dance) but I’m going to try and track it more closely.

I think it’s mostly behavioral, I know a lot about parenting but I can’t seem to be able to get through to my 3 year old, the behavior is just so visceral!

amother
  Blush

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:53 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m hesitant to do that because they seem really tired at 7:30 + give me a really hard time going to sleep after a later night also (like if my husband is around for dinner they go to bed 8/8:30 but it’s still the same song and dance) but I’m going to try and track it more closely.

I think it’s mostly behavioral, I know a lot about parenting but I can’t seem to be able to get through to my 3 year old, the behavior is just so visceral!

So maybe they need an earlier bedtime, before they become overtired.
Do you put them in together, or separately?
What's their diet like? I'd try cutting sugar as much as possible.
You can also try putting a camera in their room & maybe locking their door so they shouldn't be able to get out of the room. They'll hopefully eventually give up & stay in bed. (I know people that do this as a last resort & it works.)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:03 am
No sage advice, just commiseration.

My 4 year old is like this.
And my husband comes home super late. No help there.

Story tapes are great but they work about half the time. Sometimes he'll still be awake after the story.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:12 am
amother Blush wrote:
So maybe they need an earlier bedtime, before they become overtired.
Do you put them in together, or separately?
What's their diet like? I'd try cutting sugar as much as possible.
You can also try putting a camera in their room & maybe locking their door so they shouldn't be able to get out of the room. They'll hopefully eventually give up & stay in bed. (I know people that do this as a last resort & it works.)

I’ve been threatening to do that lol. Not sure it would actually work because they may either get hysterical or just turn on lights and play lol.

I put them in together because it takes too long to do each one individually and the other one will come disturb… when my husbands around we separate but still takes a good while.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics