Forum -> Parenting our children
A Gadol in the making?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lemonchiffon  

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 9:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Who knows? Not me.
We are a "boys family" so we have plenty of spare pairs.
Of course, in the past, I would always have to remind him to put on tzitzis. And he could never find a pair in the morning. But somehow, this morning, he found 6.

We’re also a mostly boys family, and after all these years, I still don’t know how to wash them without ruining the strings. Yes, I’ve tried those Israeli plastic things to wrap the strings, but unsuccessfully.
If you clean Tzisses as well as you make kugel, I’m hoping you could help me out. Thanks in advance.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 9:37 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
We’re also a mostly boys family, and after all these years, I still don’t know how to wash them without ruining the strings. Yes, I’ve tried those Israeli plastic things to wrap the strings, but unsuccessfully.
If you clean Tzisses as well as you make kugel, I’m hoping you could help me out. Thanks in advance.

I tried the Israeli plastic things also. They were too annoying.
I just soak them in a big negel vasser shissel with a bit of detergent. Gently hand wash and hang to dry.
Truthfully, my cleaning lady usually does it. Cleaning tzitzis and peeling potatoes are her specialty.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 9:43 pm
I found out my little tzadikel donated his own pair of gloves to a hat/glove drive his school was making for e'y. The rebbie was telling the boys about it and he didn't understand that it was supposed to be new with the tags on. He has a big heart and he felt like he wanted to help so he gave his gloves to his teacher. The teacher didn't realize it wasn't new. It flew off already to e'y. My DS is 5.

amother
  Lemonchiffon  

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 9:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I tried the Israeli plastic things also. They were too annoying.
I just soak them in a big negel vasser shissel with a bit of detergent. Gently hand wash and hang to dry.
Truthfully, my cleaning lady usually does it. Cleaning tzitzis and peeling potatoes are her specialty.

Thank you, I’m putting “get a cleaning lady” on my list. 😅

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 9:47 pm
Speaking of tzitzis, I'll do a little shout-out here for Torah Live. They have amazing videos for kids on many mitzvos and middos.
If you haven't seen their work- you should check them out.
So they have a video on tzitzis which shows how to tell if the tzitzis are passul. This is really helpful because this way the kids themselves know if the tzitzis are good.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 10:06 pm
shanie5 wrote:
Question for the future gadol:
Do you make 1 brocha for ALL the tzitzis, or 1 brocha per pair of tzitzis?

Hmm. Interesting question.
I asked my son and he said he made one brocha. But he heard the kasha and he said he would ask his rebbe tomorrow.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 10:08 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
I found out my little tzadikel donated his own pair of gloves to a hat/glove drive his school was making for e'y. The rebbie was telling the boys about it and he didn't understand that it was supposed to be new with the tags on. He has a big heart and he felt like he wanted to help so he gave his gloves to his teacher. The teacher didn't realize it wasn't new. It flew off already to e'y. My DS is 5.

Wow! Such a tzaddik. A future gadol!
There's actually a story told over about a gadol who, as a young child, gave his coat to his friend.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 10:13 pm
My father was an orphan at a young age.
When he was a bochur, his friend saw him walking without a coat. Without saying a word, he gave him his own beautiful coat. He refused to take it back when my father tried to give it back.
It’s been over 5 decades and this kindness was not forgotten.
This child’s heart is gold. Giving away his gloves, he’s not going to be a gadol, he already is one!

KollelMommy

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 12:00 am
Love this thread! The future of Klal Yisroel is looking promising Smile

While we're at it, my 6 year-old volunteered to peel the potatoes for the kugel and cholent last Thursday. He told me I can always ask him to peel the vegetables because he's always bored. And then added that even if he's busy he'll stop what he's doing.

If only he felt the same way about going to bed....

GoldenOra

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 12:16 am
I’m impressed by your son! He sounds like a kid who always tries to do the right thing. But, I’m more impressed by you!
Those mommy moments when we say true words of wisdom to our kids are special.
Way to go, mommy!

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:09 am
shanie5 wrote:
Question for the future gadol:
Do you make 1 brocha for ALL the tzitzis, or 1 brocha per pair of tzitzis?

This is really funny! It occured to me to wonder why we refer to the beged as a "pair" of Tzitzis? As far as I know, a "pair" denotes a set of two things that are joined. Like a pair of scissors or a pair of gloves. But tzitzis has FOUR corners and four knots of strings. That's actually the whole point of tzitzis. Maybe we should call it TWO pairs. But its only one beged, so thats confusing. So we do we call it a pair of tzitzis??

I decided to Google and see if this question comes up, and the first thing I found was a conversation on Mi Yodeya discussing your very question of whether multiple pairs of tzitzis require multiple brachos!

Apparently, the Shulchan Aruch asks this question, and the Ralbag weighs in as well. And then, that naturally leads to the questions of why it is not normative practice to wear multiple pairs, and is it meritorious to do so, or perhaps bal tosif? (I actually always wondered this. We know Rav Scheinberg did it- and he was not a simple man, but we also know that no one else does. )

Anyway- I don't know if you knew this, but I thought it was really cool that this is a question that is discussed by the poskim.

But I never got an answer to my original question. Why DO we call it a pair of tzitzis??

Bleemee

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:22 am
Why do we say pair of scissors?

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:24 am
amother OP wrote:
Yeah, well, I know they are encouraging boys to date older girls now, but he's only six. So she will have a while to wait...

How 'bout my 2yo princess who brought me a siddur this morning and told me to daven?

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:35 am
It’s been a hard few days, this thread got me smiling.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:38 am
Bleemee wrote:

Because it has two metal blades that are screwed together to work as a pair.

keym

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:41 am
amother OP wrote:
Hmm. Interesting question.
I asked my son and he said he made one brocha. But he heard the kasha and he said he would ask his rebbe tomorrow.

Well you know like my kid who needed to make a shehakol so he needed a lolly.

Same kid who at 3 would make a bracha before every bite. Do you have any idea how many Brachos the average bowl of macaroni takes?

And I can't be the only one who's kids make kiddush in the bathtub

amother
  Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:43 am
amother OP wrote:
Because it has two metal blades that are screwed together to work as a pair.

I think her question was her phone’s auto-correct version of “Why do we say pair of Tzisses”. ☺️ Which is actually a good question.

amother
Cinnamon  

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:58 am
Ha my son refused to put on any Tzitzis so mabe your son is balancing things out? Very Happy

amother
  Cinnamon

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:58 am
Ha my son refused to put on any Tzitzis so mabe your son is balancing things out? Very Happy

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 9:01 am
Bleemee wrote:

In Hebrew a pair of scissors is misparayim מספריים
which is plural too Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics