Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Would you let this happen?
Previous  1  2

Scrabble123

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 3:34 pm
Freund was known for analyzing subconscious images and connecting them to often repressed s-xuality.

He smoked cigars. Someone once asked him what a cigar symbolized to which he responded, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Basically that sometimes the explanation of something you are looking at may just be the obviously, although I'm sure that considering Freund I would never be able to consider his cigar, well, just a cigar.

iluvy

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 3:41 pm
I think a principal shouldn't do this because it's kind of a medical procedure (albeit a super minor one) and parents might not want him to.

When I was in elementary school (PPY), I used to frequently feel sick during class. Rabbi Price was always the one to take my temperature, tell me to put my head down, etc. It felt like a genuine expression of caring - like a kid feeling sick was taken seriously enough for the principal to be the one to deal with it.

I do not think this is a problem of inappropriate touching. It reminds me of when I was a first grade assistant, and they told us we couldn't hold the kids on our laps or hug them. We need to be super careful about enforcing appropriate boundaries, but it's a shame that many normal, warm interactions are casualties.

amother  

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 4:51 pm
Am I the only TAG alumnus here? R' Weitman a"h was beloved for the gentle and loving way he calmed down nervous young students and pulled out their shaky teeth if they requested it. Then he gave them a "mazel tov!" and a lollypop. If you raised your hand in class to tell Morah you had a loose tooth, she would offer you a trip to the office to have R' Weitman pull it. I am planning on sending my daughter to TAG and was happy to hear that R' Weitman's son is continuing the tradition passed down from his father.

Aylat

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 8:26 am
My son's rebbe pulls out loose teeth when they're ready to come out. My son was so excited for his tooth to get wobbly enough!

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
Am I the only TAG alumnus here? R' Weitman a"h was beloved for the gentle and loving way he calmed down nervous young students and pulled out their shaky teeth if they requested it. Then he gave them a "mazel tov!" and a lollypop. If you raised your hand in class to tell Morah you had a loose tooth, she would offer you a trip to the office to have R' Weitman pull it. I am planning on sending my daughter to TAG and was happy to hear that R' Weitman's son is continuing the tradition passed down from his father.

Another TAG alumnus. Totally agree! My girls go to TAG. having your tooth pulled by R' Weitman is very exciting. The door to his office is wide open. All the secretaries get excited too. Lots of people in an out of the office. The little girl gets a big mazel tov and a special necklace to hold her tooth. Brings back nice memories from my school days!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics