Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Substituting apricot jam (sugar free) for duck sauce
Previous  1  2

chocolate moose  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 8:29 pm
Non natural sugars are not nec. heat stable. I 'm surprised you want to use them.

OOTBubby  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 8:38 pm
I don't usually cook with Stevia because I have no need to, but I've done so in the past & it works fine. There are many recipes that use it in cooking. Do you know anything about Stevia that you'd make such a statement?

BeershevaBubby  

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 11:46 pm
I don't actually measure... I go according to taste.

OOTBubby  

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 1:41 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
I don't actually measure... I go according to taste.

Thank you.

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 2:21 pm
I like the spicy duck sauce, so would add some dried chilli flakes into it. I think my aunt does some sort of chicken recipe with just fried onions and apricot jam, maybe some garlic powder - not sure exactly, but apparently it's absolutely delicious - finger likin' good.

chocolate moose  

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 4:09 pm
I know that these fake sugars can taste bad when heated. you need to use the recipes that the company has tested. otherwise, you might be really sorry.

OOTBubby  

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 4:13 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I know that these fake sugars can taste bad when heated. you need to use the recipes that the company has tested. otherwise, you might be really sorry.

You are making a gross generalization by stating "these fake sugars". Every fake sugar is different. Some can be cooked with and some cannot.

Stevia can be cooked with without a problem. You do not need special recipes. You can use it as you would sugar. The taste is slightly different and it is sweeter, so you'll use somewhat less of it. But no special recipes are needed (I've used it occasionally and know people who've cooked with it extensively without a special recipe) at all.

Please take a look at this web page http://www.stevia.com/Stevia_A.....=2269 and scroll to the middle for their answer about using Stevia in cooking.

It would be more helpful if you would state "artificial sweetener XX" tastes bad when heated and you need special recipes to cook with it.

It is not helpful to state something that is false and of which you have no knowledge. You are just misleading people here.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 6:57 pm
This has been my experience. The fake sugars don't heat well.

OOTBubby  

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 7:11 pm
You are missing the point that not all artificial sweeteners are the same. Have you ever even used Stevia let alone tried cooking with it?

nylon

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 9:14 am
I will add one cautionary note: Duck sauce caramelizes and goes sticky/crispy because of all the sugar. Sugar free jam may behave very differently when baked. It may be runny and pale.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 9:16 am
OOTBUbby, is honey okay for you to use? If it is, I would recommend using that to sweeten things and I believe you'd get a caramelization.

OOTBubby  

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 9:22 am
YESHASettler wrote:
OOTBUbby, is honey okay for you to use? If it is, I would recommend using that to sweeten things and I believe you'd get a caramelization.

I prefer to avoid honey too. If possible I only use natural sugars in fruits (and I limit that) and Stevia.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 9:24 am
nylon wrote:
I will add one cautionary note: Duck sauce caramelizes and goes sticky/crispy because of all the sugar. Sugar free jam may behave very differently when baked. It may be runny and pale.

The jam actually does caramelize too. I've used it as part of a sauce on chicken (with soy sauce, mustard and garlic) and made sticky chicken wings and it did caramelize.

Plus in the main recipe I want to use it in (ra_mom's Salmon Teriyaki) the sauce isn't even cooked, so that certainly wouldn't matter.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 10:51 am
I think the recipes would come out fine swapping the jam for the duck sauce - its funny - bc I usually swap the other way - duck suace for apricot jam bc the duck suace is so much cheaper!!!
delicios turkey -
1 jar apricot jam
3 tbsp honey
3tbsp lemon juice
3 garlic cloves sliced
2 tbsp grainy mustard or dijon mustard
chopped dill
salt n pepper
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics