Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I`m from Stamford Hill, London AMA
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 14  15  16  Next

amother
  Beige  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 6:32 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
But YHS and Beis Yaakov are the only schools that allow it, so how is it possible? One Satmar school itself is 3x the size of them together.

Would you say the same about people who don't wear a white tichel on Yom Kippur?

I'm not talking about school girls.
I noticed lots of black tights and tichels this yom tov.

amother
  Springgreen  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 6:33 am
amother Beige wrote:
I'm not talking about school girls.

I mean their mothers

amother
  Beige  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 6:35 am
I mean their mothers

Lots of BCL moms wear. Funny my amother name is beige

amother
  Springgreen  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 6:40 am
amother Beige wrote:
Lots of BCL moms wear. Funny my amother name is beige

Still not close to half but OK.
I noticed your name as well LOL

amother
  Amber  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 6:41 am
But YHS and Beis Yaakov are the only schools that allow it, so how is it possible? One Satmar school itself is double the size of them together.

Would you say the same about people who don't wear a white tichel on Yom Kippur?

Were discussing women wearing black tights.. one poster mentioned she is in a minority..
As for school girls, BCL girls also wear black tights...

There are many older, non chasidish women that dont necesarily wear 'black', (they may wear shades of grey or natural, ) that doesnt make them ' non black tights people'.... their children def wear black ...

Being that SH is now spread over a massive area, and includes such a variety of people- many not born and bred here, Its quite bizarre to difine an entire community and location by their hosiery colour...!!!

Debbie  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 6:42 am
I worked in Beis Malka creche on Alkham Road from September 2003 until December 2005,and met some lovely ladies.
If I recall correctly the head teacher was Mrs Hochberg, I was friendly with her sister.
It's hard to believe that the little ones I looked after are old enough to be married; I expect some already are!

amother
  Brickred  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 6:49 am
Debbie wrote:
I worked in Beis Malka creche on Alkham Road from September 2003 until December 2005,and met some lovely ladies.
If I recall correctly the head teacher was Mrs Hochberg, I was friendly with her sister.
It's hard to believe that the little ones I looked after are old enough to be married; I expect some already are!

Mrs Hochberg is heading admin but not headteacher. You worked in the crèche when I was in school

amother
  Navy  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 6:55 am
Tights is lately a major discussion in Stamford Hill. Even if u say BCL girls wear black the rule when u apply there is you are not allowed to and neither is the mother allowed to.When I grew up we didn’t focus on the tights.

amother
  Navy  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 6:56 am
Definitely more then half wear beige. If you don’t agree I don’t think you’ve been living here long enough.

amother
  Hyacinth  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 6:57 am
amother Amber wrote:
Were discussing women wearing black tights.. one poster mentioned she is in a minority..
As for school girls, BCL girls also wear black tights...

There are many older, non chasidish women that dont necesarily wear 'black', (they may wear shades of grey or natural, ) that doesnt make them ' non black tights people'.... their children def wear black ...

Being that SH is now spread over a massive area, and includes such a variety of people- many not born and bred here, Its quite bizarre to difine an entire community and location by their hosiery colour...!!!

Same thoughts! Who cares what colour tights they wear, I wear black in the winter and nude in summer and do not feel like I'm part of a minority. I only moved to Stamford hill a couple of years ago and love how diverse it is. Of course there's a huge percentage of chassidish people (I'm not) but I find them to be very open minded and accepting of everyone. I live in Tottenham and have become very close with some neighbours that are satmar, belz and other types of chassidus, not sure what. They are the nicest people. Thenkids are all one happy family, on my street alone, girls from bnos, Beis yaakov, viznitz, satmar, bobov and my DD who is in yhs are all best friends.

Debbie  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 7:00 am
amother Brickred wrote:
Mrs Hochberg is heading admin but not headteacher. You worked in the crèche when I was in school

Was she ever head teacher?
I didn't really know any of the pupils, although I did sometimes get to see the siblings of the creche children.
I remember one nursery age child coming in with her mother and asking if they could go home but leave her baby sister in the creche; I don't think she was too happy when mummy said no!

amother
  Sage  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 7:06 am
att stamfortillys -dont tell me there is another milk company coming to stamford hill?

did you read the update?

dont we have enough milk?

amother
  Springgreen  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 7:07 am
To clarify, I don't care what tights people wear and everyone in SH is lovely and friendly, but there are still no 50% of women wearing black tights.

amother
Stone

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 7:31 am
Do you own a house? Rent a house/flat?
My dh is from Stamford hill, and we both have lots of family there.
The housing situation is a real problem. Bh my bil owns a large house, but their children are renting flats with multiple kids already.

amother
  White  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 9:25 am
amother Sage wrote:
att stamfortillys -dont tell me there is another milk company coming to stamford hill?

did you read the update?

dont we have enough milk?

yesssss
I saw it!
was also wondering, cuz the milk looked like a clipart picture not the original bottle look
lol
who needs more milk?

amother
Lemonlime  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 9:27 am
I visited SH many years ago. At that point, you needed to order cheese a month before shavous. Otherwise, the grocery didn't have enough in stock. Is this scenario still something that happens nowadays?

amother
  Lemonlime

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 9:28 am
What about crime? When I was there, I was told not to wear any jewelry ( I'm taking simple gold necklace...)on the street because it's not safe.

amother
Dill

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 9:33 am
I live in GG but I come sometimes to shop. As an American, I have a very limited selection of frum shops where I am.

Can someone kindly recommend on trend but well priced children and women’s store? Does that exist?

amother
  Hyacinth  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 9:33 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
What about crime? When I was there, I was told not to wear any jewelry ( I'm taking simple gold necklace...)on the street because it's not safe.

Really?
I never feel unsafe
We all wear jewellery on the street and carry large amounts of money in our bags if we need to

amother
  Hyacinth  

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 9:37 am
amother Dill wrote:
I live in GG but I come sometimes to shop. As an American, I have a very limited selection of frum shops where I am.

Can someone kindly recommend on trend but well priced children and women’s store? Does that exist?

Half of Golders green is on the hill on Sundays, clothes shopping 🙃
Jewish clothing shops for women include Madamoda, Coats and co, Modello, Finx, Miss Moda,
For kids there's Kiddi Chic, Little People, Polka Dots, Clad, PB Layette, Jelly Bean, Pink and Blue, Mosaic, Buckingham, Royal Kids, Banim, Shoe and Fashion, Weiner's have I left out any?
Plenty choice
All price ranges
Page 7 of 16   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics