Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Magazine Sukkos 2024 fiction supplements
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Navy

Post Today at 9:16 am
I only bought Mispacha, but I was very disappointed that none of their stories had even a passing reference to the war. I get that they are international, but the war in Israel affects all of us. Maybe they didn't want to be depressing, and a story fully based around the war might not have been suitable, but a passing reference to the difficulties of flying, or the potential for sirens would not have been out of place.

During covid there was stories that dealt with the realities of life in lockdown, and others that just mentioned it as a background consideration. They didn't devote the entire supplement to it, and that was fine, but they didn't ignore it either. Now they're suddenly ignoring the reality of life for all their Israeli readers, and many in other countries who have been affected by it.

farm

Post Today at 9:34 am
amother Navy wrote:
I only bought Mispacha, but I was very disappointed that none of their stories had even a passing reference to the war. I get that they are international, but the war in Israel affects all of us. Maybe they didn't want to be depressing, and a story fully based around the war might not have been suitable, but a passing reference to the difficulties of flying, or the potential for sirens would not have been out of place.

During covid there was stories that dealt with the realities of life in lockdown, and others that just mentioned it as a background consideration. They didn't devote the entire supplement to it, and that was fine, but they didn't ignore it either. Now they're suddenly ignoring the reality of life for all their Israeli readers, and many in other countries who have been affected by it.

The main magazine part II was almost 50% war with a whole bunch of different angles on the top. Extremely well done and way more appropriate than a fictional story ‘using’ it as part of the plot!

amother
NeonOrange

Post Today at 11:18 am
amother Navy wrote:

People who experience a loss or go through a tragedy might not want to see it in a fictional piece. Mishpacha had a lot of articles every week in the last year about the war, including a lot in the Rosh Hashana and Succos editions. These were all factual articles about real events quoting real people.
I know someone who survived the Holocaust who hated Holocaust fiction. For many of us it’s how we learned about what happened but that was exactly her point. In fictional pieces there are always inaccuracies, sometimes because of the ignorance of the author and sometimes because of the need to develop the plot or the characters. People living through the actual horrible events can find that hurtful. Maybe in a few years we’ll be ready for October 7 fiction and maybe never, but this year was for sure not the time.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room