Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
No patience for my 7 year old, teach me how

amother
OP

Post Today at 8:59 pm
My oldest is 7.5 I have no patience for him. He's a good kid but all he wants to discuss is his obsession with his one specific interest. And I don't mean the whole area let's say baseball- he just wants to discuss babe Ruth himself in detail ad nauseum. (He's not asd)

The other thing he likes is reading out loud the comics from the circle and the kichels etc. It's always at the worst moment like everyone's screaming and He's trying to read the punchline.

In general he really doesn't read the room and he's always harassing me at the worst time. Honestly just for these 2 things I would consider that he’s asd but he just isn't. He's just annoying lol.

My current parenting method is to basically ignore him so at least I'm not mean or short tempered but it makes me feel bad. I go in for a quick goodnight hug and then I leave and let him fall asleep bc I have no patience for his conversations revolving around his stupid interest. I don't hear about his day, his friends, anything else.

I want to maintain a connection with him but I don't know how. I have no problem with the younger kids. He's smart, intellectual, mature so I should be able to discuss things with him but I just can't bear his obsessiveness.

amother
Leaf

Post Today at 9:07 pm
Oy poor kid. His interests may seem stupid to you as an adult, but to him it's exciting & not stupid at all. Please show interest in him & his hobbies, he definitely feels ignored and that you don't like him.
Perhaps reach out to an expert for tips on how to work on yourself to have patience for him. He's not doing anything wrong.

amother
Diamond

Post Today at 9:17 pm
Pretend

Fake it

Also, set aside some one on one quality time, 15-20 undivided attention minutes a day by either you or your dh with him. Maybe that time will fill his need better, quality over quantity

If its really timing, tell him you are very interested and want to hear all about it, can he save it for when you sit down together tonight so you can really pay attention because you are in middle of x & you can't focus well enough

amother
Lightcoral

Post Today at 10:02 pm
How are you so sure it’s not asd? Sounds like it very possibly can be. Was he evaluated for it yet?

imaima

Post Today at 10:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
My oldest is 7.5 I have no patience for him. He's a good kid but all he wants to discuss is his obsession with his one specific interest. And I don't mean the whole area let's say baseball- he just wants to discuss babe Ruth himself in detail ad nauseum. (He's not asd)

The other thing he likes is reading out loud the comics from the circle and the kichels etc. It's always at the worst moment like everyone's screaming and He's trying to read the punchline.

In general he really doesn't read the room and he's always harassing me at the worst time. Honestly just for these 2 things I would consider that he’s asd but he just isn't. He's just annoying lol.

My current parenting method is to basically ignore him so at least I'm not mean or short tempered but it makes me feel bad. I go in for a quick goodnight hug and then I leave and let him fall asleep bc I have no patience for his conversations revolving around his stupid interest. I don't hear about his day, his friends, anything else.

I want to maintain a connection with him but I don't know how. I have no problem with the younger kids. He's smart, intellectual, mature so I should be able to discuss things with him but I just can't bear his obsessiveness.

Is it age appropriate for a 7 year old to read the room or is it trauma response?
Genuinely asking.

Why would he need to learn to read the room if he assumes he is in a safe place where he is loved and accepted? He is not trying to survive in the streets…
OP you sound overwhelmed with life so you have nothing left for him. He sounds a regular boy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics