Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Magazine Sukkos 2024 fiction supplements
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Clear

Post Yesterday at 1:40 am
I missed the Updates in the Ami Living. They only had medical updates this time. I like catching up on people who were featured previously.

giftedmom  

Post Yesterday at 1:45 am
I read the Ami collections today and each one was a masterpiece

amother
  Bottlebrush

Post Yesterday at 2:07 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
ye that story about mutty was sad
I wonder if that happens
Something to consider

I thought it was very well done and brought out an excellent and original point.

Too many of these stories (and people IRL) love to vilify retailers without knowing the first thing about running a business and what kind of expenses and profit margin business owners have. And then they call for them to bring down prices or for drastic takanas to be made, without thinking about the consequences this would have on our very interconnected cycle of entrepreneurship and consumerism.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Yesterday at 4:08 am
SuperWify wrote:
I don’t understand the Cantonist story because kasha is made from oats and buckwheat. How can that not be Chametz? Also infuriated me that the man became his brother in law and rav. But was super emotional and well written.

Kasha is buckwheat. Still kitniyot but not chametz.

amother
  Stonewash

Post Yesterday at 8:06 am
amother Coral wrote:
Anyone noticed that like three of the stories in the Ami supplement had someone named Gedalya? So random.

Lol, yes I was going to post here about it! I have a son named gedalya and thought it was hilarious. I assume it's a less common name and each author used it for that reason.

amother
  Babyblue

Post Yesterday at 9:17 am
amother Clear wrote:
I missed the Updates in the Ami Living. They only had medical updates this time. I like catching up on people who were featured previously.
Yes I was looking for it..

amother
Pistachio

Post Yesterday at 11:49 am
cupcake123 wrote:
I loved the one with diamond in the calligraphy and also the story with the boy and his rebbe and friend that lost mom
The real estate one was also pretty good

I totally didn't get the real estate one. Did it have a plot? Or a point? From what I recall, the story ends and the main character is still jealous of that guy for whatever reason.

amother
Eggplant

Post Yesterday at 12:18 pm
amother Nectarine wrote:
I usually never read them.

But one that stood out most in the wife spending 5 hours in a car with her ex’s second wife.

I liked that one too
What’s the name of the historical fiction one in calligraphy?

amother
  Nectarine

Post Yesterday at 1:11 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
I liked that one too
What’s the name of the historical fiction one in calligraphy?

I threw it out already.

Hopefully someone else can post it.

amother
Mint

Post Yesterday at 9:31 pm
chestnut wrote:
I liked the ones about 3 brothers with the house in the country and about a girl with a heart transplant.

This is the first year where I felt Ami's were better. Am I the only one who noticed that the introduction before the story spoke about "her" father, but the story was about three brothers?

amother
  Coral

Post Yesterday at 9:43 pm
amother Mint wrote:
This is the first year where I felt Ami's were better. Am I the only one who noticed that the introduction before the story spoke about "her" father, but the story was about three brothers?

Noticed the same. Confused me at the beginning but I guess it was a typo.

amother
Magnolia  

Post Yesterday at 10:04 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
I did not understand it either.
It kept mentioning that the friendship was one sided (she made her friends bar mitzva) and wasn't even thanked...but then she has memories laughing and hashing over every detail of her last kimpeturin stay...so her friend was interested and invested in details in her life?
that doesn't sound like a one sided friendship...

She has memories of only talking to her friend throughout her whole kimpaturin stay. It seemed to me like her friend had an over bearing, controlling personality and this woman let herself be controlled.
Now, because she cut off from her friend it’s the first time she actually joins the circle at the kimpaturin home and voices her opinion….. so it seems the friendship was toxic for her even if she had enjoyed being so connected….it was too much and unhealthy

amother
  Magnolia  

Post Yesterday at 10:08 pm
I loved quite a few of them.

The ride with ex wife one from ami was the only one from that supplement that I really enjoyed. It was different.

The mishapacha I loved the Diamond one.
Btw did anyone ever hear the quote that was quoted there “a pur hoizen in shesel…” idk why but it sounded a bit dirty to me?!? Lol am I totally off here??

I also loved the rosh yeshiva one with the Yasom it was very moving.

And I loved the plot twist of the bubby one. (That “infamous” was cool)

The only one I didn’t read yet was the hitorical fiction one. Wasn’t in the mood of concentrating so hard but I still plan to read it.

amother
  Cantaloupe

Post Yesterday at 10:08 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
She has memories of only talking to her friend throughout her whole kimpaturin stay. It seemed to me like her friend had an over bearing, controlling personality and this woman let herself be controlled.
Now, because she cut off from her friend it’s the first time she actually joins the circle at the kimpaturin home and voices her opinion….. so it seems the friendship was toxic for her even if she had enjoyed being so connected….it was too much and unhealthy

thanks for explaining! yes that makes sense!

chestnut  

Post Yesterday at 11:01 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:

This all made sense until the story's ending. Not sure what to make of it

amother
  Magnolia

Post Yesterday at 11:49 pm
chestnut wrote:
This all made sense until the story's ending. Not sure what to make of it

Let’s say the friend she cut off with has borderline personality disorder. Then to me the whole story makes sense…..these toxic personalities could play victim very well.

Unless you think the author had something totally different in mind?

chestnut

Post Yesterday at 11:54 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
Let’s say the friend she cut off with has borderline personality disorder. Then to me the whole story makes sense…..these toxic personalities could play victim very well.

Unless you think the author had something totally different in mind?

Yours is an interesting idea.
I thought it was a plain old "it's not what it seems", but never thanking for basically making her bar mitzvah and other things totally confused me.

giftedmom

Post Yesterday at 11:56 pm
chestnut wrote:
Yours is an interesting idea.
I thought it was a plain old "it's not what it seems", but never thanking for basically making her bar mitzvah and other things totally confused me.

I doubt she was so enmeshed with her and didn’t know her issues. It’s quite obvious she knew. But she still couldn’t sustain such bottomless need and thankless relationship. Chances are this “friend” was the cause of all of her own issues and had alienated everyone else in her life.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room