Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Magazine Sukkos 2024 fiction supplements
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

booboo24

Post Tue, Oct 22 2024, 4:36 am
s1 wrote:
I only read calligraphy and wasn't over wowed. The stories were sweet but nothing special. The only one I loved was the one about the boy in yeshiva and the new Maggie shiur.

Agreed. I was not impressed with calligraphy this year.

amother
  Bellflower

Post Tue, Oct 22 2024, 6:56 am
cupcake123 wrote:
I loved the one with diamond in the calligraphy and also the story with the boy and his rebbe and friend that lost mom
The real estate one was also pretty good

Totally forgot the Diamond one what was it about again?

keym

Post Tue, Oct 22 2024, 7:04 am
I really liked the historical fiction one. About the boy taken as a Cantonist.
Made me cry and think.

MGmom

Post Tue, Oct 22 2024, 7:11 am
Last couple of years have been pretty meh. Maybe I feel too intelligent for such shallow plots. But the Ami really pulled off decent this chag. The story from house in fleishmans really gave the readers a lot of fuzzy feelings from family to disconnection to connection again. Was very relatable and real. I felt like they portrayed a lot without having things said. The way the mother remarried. The relationship she had in the first marriage… oh and the ex wife’s care ride! My gosh! 🤔 someone’s horror based on a true story with ‘names have been changed’ .

asmileaday  

Post Tue, Oct 22 2024, 8:10 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
Totally forgot the Diamond one what was it about again?

The child of holocaust survivors who so badly wanted to have a better marriage than his parents and just didn't know how.
I really liked that story.

asmileaday  

Post Tue, Oct 22 2024, 8:11 am
I also liked the one with the house in Fleishmanns. Made me tear up.
Family relationships can be so complicated and powerful.

asmileaday

Post Tue, Oct 22 2024, 8:13 am
I have no opinion on the quality of all the supplement stories. I'm not the best writer myself.
I used to be a total bookworm but since having kids and raising a family my reading time has been severely restricted. So I don't get to read much and can't compare it to much else.
The few minutes I did have time to read this yomtov I enjoyed it. Didn't get through everything yet.

nachasmom

Post Yesterday at 4:58 pm
It was a beautiful Yom Tov and after exhausting preparations I sat down to relax and read my magazines. A terrible disappointment. I buy the magazines and read the stories for uplifting spiritual times. Not to get depressed, confused and above all a sprained wrist (the magazines were very heavy). There were some nice stories but most were disappointing.

amother
Cantaloupe  

Post Yesterday at 6:12 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:
The last story in ami I didn't chap
They were talking about her who dropped her friend
And therefore what? She was wrong?

I did not understand it either.
It kept mentioning that the friendship was one sided (she made her friends bar mitzva) and wasn't even thanked...but then she has memories laughing and hashing over every detail of her last kimpeturin stay...so her friend was interested and invested in details in her life?
that doesn't sound like a one sided friendship...

Amelia Bedelia

Post Yesterday at 7:02 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
I did not understand it either.
It kept mentioning that the friendship was one sided (she made her friends bar mitzva) and wasn't even thanked...but then she has memories laughing and hashing over every detail of her last kimpeturin stay...so her friend was interested and invested in details in her life?
that doesn't sound like a one sided friendship...

I thought that was part of the problem and the point of the story. That Hindy was convinced that it was a one-sided friendship but she didn't realize how much she actually gained from Malka.

SuperWify

Post Yesterday at 8:05 pm
I don’t understand the Cantonist story because kasha is made from oats and buckwheat. How can that not be Chametz? Also infuriated me that the man became his brother in law and rav. But was super emotional and well written.

amother
Stonewash  

Post Yesterday at 8:09 pm
I really enjoyed both ami and misphacha's supplements. The stories weren't the esoteric no-ending ones, and there were a bunch of home runs. The diamond story, the cantonist, the teacher, and a couple others were excellent.

amother
Coral  

Post Yesterday at 8:13 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I don’t understand the Cantonist story because kasha is made from oats and buckwheat. How can that not be Chametz? Also infuriated me that the man became his brother in law and rav. But was super emotional and well written.

Pretty sure kasha is buckwheat which isn’t chametz.

a2z

Post Yesterday at 8:13 pm
SuperWify wrote:

Buckwheat is not wheat and therefore not chametz, grain which has risen. However it included in the general class of kitniyot, foods that Ashkenazim (and some Sephardim) may not eat on Passover.

This is what Google told me.🤷‍♀️

amother
Denim

Post Yesterday at 8:18 pm
which one are people referring to as the principal/teacher one? Was that the one toward the end of Family First?

I LOVED Super Bubby!

GLUE

Post Yesterday at 8:27 pm
Anyone read the Yatted stories?

The one "They came for Mutty" I was trying to figure out what was the point they where trying to bring out, what was the angle.

The one where the father was taking his four married kids to Greece for Sukkos.
It came in four parts it would have been interesting if they also put the fathers perspective in.
I don't feel bad for the new son-in-law, that's what happens when Papa pays the bills, you don't want to go to Greece don't take his support.
The oldest daughter I hear her. I would love to know, what would happen if she told her father I can't go because then the tuition commity is going to drive me crazy.

amother
Blonde

Post Yesterday at 8:30 pm
I got inspired to buy the binah on chol hamoed and my daughter and I loved the vista's

amother
  Babyblue  

Post Yesterday at 8:52 pm
GLUE wrote:
Anyone read the Yatted stories?

The one "They came for Mutty" I was trying to figure out what was the point they where trying to bring out, what was the angle.

The one where the father was taking his four married kids to Greece for Sukkos.
It came in four parts it would have been interesting if they also put the fathers perspective in.
I don't feel bad for the new son-in-law, that's what happens when Papa pays the bills, you don't want to go to Greece don't take his support.
The oldest daughter I hear her. I would love to know, what would happen if she told her father I can't go because then the tuition commity is going to drive me crazy.

ye that story about mutty was sad
I wonder if that happens
Something to consider

amother
  Waterlily

Post Yesterday at 10:23 pm
I enjoyed every story in the Ami collection. The first one (Fleischmann) was definitely a winner!

amother
  Coral  

Post Yesterday at 10:29 pm
Anyone noticed that like three of the stories in the Ami supplement had someone named Gedalya? So random.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room