Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Interior designer Brooklyn

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:34 pm
Anyone have experience with any of these designers? Or any recommendations for a good interior designer ?

Esther Hoffman
Sara Machlis
Faigy Seidenfeld

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:13 am
Bump

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 11:37 am
This has been discussed many times. Ultimately you have to find someone whose style resonates with you. I love Sara Machlis style but I don’t know you and what you’re looking for. Check past threads, check their instagram
Hatzlacha!

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:32 pm
Thank you

wanttobehappy

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:40 pm
I used Chavy Klein.. She is pretty new but really knows her stuff she really helped me.. (347) 978-1746

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:50 pm
Does she have an insta account where I can see her work ?

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:54 pm
Esther Fasten--also pretty new but does a great job. (347)452-7751

Good luck!

amother
Magenta  

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 5:30 pm
wanttobehappy wrote:
I used Chavy Klein.. She is pretty new but really knows her stuff she really helped me.. (347) 978-1746

What’s her rate?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 6:43 pm
I love Sara Machlis but she is very popular, good chance she doesn’t have time for you.

amother
  Magenta  

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 8:34 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
Esther Fasten--also pretty new but does a great job. (347)452-7751

Good luck!

Have you used her yourself? Does she have an Instagram account?

amother
  Magenta

Post Today at 9:10 am
OP did you have a chance to work with any of the names mentioned?

amother
IndianRed

Post Today at 9:35 am
Is Sara machlis soulterior designs?

amother
Carnation  

Post Today at 2:49 pm
I think it somewhat depends what you want. Some only do high end, some only a full renovation, some more likely to work with your budget, then there’s matter of taste…

amother
Stone  

Post Today at 3:36 pm
I had a designer - not in Brooklyn and have friends who used designers.

In my experience, unless the designer is extremely untalented, they can work with your taste and wants. That is the point of having a designer as it is a collaboration.

I met with the designer and we discussed my taste. I sent her lots of pictures of rooms I liked or items I liked.

We signed a contract that had the terms and I paid her a retainer and she produced a design board - the elements of which were tweaked and modified along the way.

Far more important is whether they will be able to work with your budget and whether they are reliable and dependable.

amother
  Carnation  

Post Today at 3:43 pm
amother Stone wrote:
I had a designer - not in Brooklyn and have friends who used designers.

In my experience, unless the designer is extremely untalented, they can work with your taste and wants. That is the point of having a designer as it is a collaboration.

I met with the designer and we discussed my taste. I sent her lots of pictures of rooms I liked or items I liked.

We signed a contract that had the terms and I paid her a retainer and she produced a design board - the elements of which were tweaked and modified along the way.

Far more important is whether they will be able to work with your budget and whether they are reliable and dependable.

I agree the ability to stick to your budget (and respect it without making you feel like a fool), and being reliable/ available are the most important considerations. I totally underestimated that part and focused too much on style and if their work was “wow”. I ended up with more than one bad situation that cost me dearly. One would shame and guilt me into constantly spending way more than I wanted, and way more than necessary (and my budget was far from low!). Another was so unavailable that it cost us so much precious time and so much stress it was horrible I had to walk away from a hefty retainer.
But I had one who came highly recommend but whose taste was such a mismatch AND she wouldn’t respect my wants. I would say I hate such and such, or I really don’t want a white bathroom, or I really hate having a focal wall, etc etc and she constantly said “trust me… you’ll love it”— and in the end I didn’t. At all.
So all those things are important.

amother
  Stone  

Post Today at 4:02 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
I agree the ability to stick to your budget (and respect it without making you feel like a fool), and being reliable/ available are the most important considerations. I totally underestimated that part and focused too much on style and if their work was “wow”. I ended up with more than one bad situation that cost me dearly. One would shame and guilt me into constantly spending way more than I wanted, and way more than necessary (and my budget was far from low!). Another was so unavailable that it cost us so much precious time and so much stress it was horrible I had to walk away from a hefty retainer.
But I had one who came highly recommend but whose taste was such a mismatch AND she wouldn’t respect my wants. I would say I hate such and such, or I really don’t want a white bathroom, or I really hate having a focal wall, etc etc and she constantly said “trust me… you’ll love it”— and in the end I didn’t. At all.
So all those things are important.

I was extremely lucky with my designer.

I did go over budget but that was because I increased the scope of my project AND because I often chose more expensive options than what she had suggested.

A lot of savings were because she had vendors and artisans she had worked with so that I could achieve the "look" I wanted using her upholstery who made to my specifications instead of purchasing a Baker chair. Very Happy A lot of stuff was custom and the same cost as good quality ready made would have been like my kitchen cabinets.

My interior doors were far less expensive than if I had bought them from the store as she had the wood maker do them to our specifications - for example so the cost per door was far less.

amother
  Carnation  

Post Today at 4:12 pm
amother Stone wrote:
I was extremely lucky with my designer.

I did go over budget but that was because I increased the scope of my project AND because I often chose more expensive options than what she had suggested.

A lot of savings were because she had vendors and artisans she had worked with so that I could achieve the "look" I wanted using her upholstery who made to my specifications instead of purchasing a Baker chair. Very Happy A lot of stuff was custom and the same cost as good quality ready made would have been like my kitchen cabinets.

My interior doors were far less expensive than if I had bought them from the store as she had the wood maker do them to our specifications - for example so the cost per door was far less.

I’m referring to designer pushing higher priced items— like if I said I really want tiles that are under $16 a sq ft, but then she picks something that’s 50$ and says “it’s just so beautiful I think you need to splurge”, and then that repeats itself in each store… like I want a couch for under 7k, but she picks one that’s 11k and says there’s really nothing else that will compare… and really the marble mosaic IS beautiful, but it could’ve been beautiful with something cheaper too, and I wouldn’t have spent way more than I was comfortable with. I’ve dealt with others who are very respectful and will come into the store saying we are looking to work with a budget of x, so I’m just saying to inquire if the designer is someone who will respect your budget if you have one. Overall I think there’s a lot of “designers” who are very difficult to deal with, so you need to ask about those things before deciding based on the Instagram pictures.

amother
  Stone

Post Today at 4:17 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
I’m referring to designer pushing higher priced items— like if I said I really want tiles that are under $16 a sq ft, but then she picks something that’s 50$ and says “it’s just so beautiful I think you need to splurge”, and then that repeats itself in each store… like I want a couch for under 7k, but she picks one that’s 11k and says there’s really nothing else that will compare… and really the marble mosaic IS beautiful, but it could’ve been beautiful with something cheaper too, and I wouldn’t have spent way more than I was comfortable with. I’ve dealt with others who are very respectful and will come into the store saying we are looking to work with a budget of x, so I’m just saying to inquire if the designer is someone who will respect your budget if you have one. Overall I think there’s a lot of “designers” who are very difficult to deal with, so you need to ask about those things before deciding based on the Instagram pictures.

I don't disagree but my experience with my designer wasn't like that at all.

She did recommend (for example) an expensive tile choice but then sent me to the tile store to look at other options that were less expensive that she could have worked with. However, there just was no comparison in terms of how beautiful the hand fired tiles were Very Happy as compared to the less expensive ones. It also helped that I was working with relatively small areas (kitchen and bathrooms) and so the price differential was not that much for something that I was going to live with for a long time - and labor is going to be the same whether it is cheap or not.

She was always willing to help me save money or economize in areas that didn't compromise quality or aesthetics. My major regret is that I should have opted for a chevron floor instead of the straight planks I got. Sad

amother
  Carnation

Post Today at 4:21 pm
amother Stone wrote:
I don't disagree but my experience with my designer wasn't like that at all.

She did recommend (for example) an expensive tile choice but then sent me to the tile store to look at other options that were less expensive that she could have worked with. However, there just was no comparison in terms of how beautiful the hand fired tiles were Very Happy as compared to the less expensive ones. It also helped that I was working with relatively small areas (kitchen and bathrooms) and so the price differential was not that much for something that I was going to live with for a long time - and labor is going to be the same whether it is cheap or not.

She was always willing to help me save money or economize in areas that didn't compromise quality or aesthetics. My major regret is that I should have opted for a chevron floor instead of the straight planks I got. Sad

Yup, so I fully agree it’s worth splurging on some very impactful items, but I wound up splurging on almost everything 😬.
Also I think straight planks can be gorgeous too! It’s classic and you can’t go wrong with it!

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Today at 5:39 pm
My sister just started taking her own clients and she travels within NY/NJ.

She’s super talented, see her Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/alex.....zbA==
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries