Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Things You Only Know From Imamother

asg

Post Yesterday at 3:31 pm
What halachos, minhagim, etc. do you only know about through imamother? Thought about this while reading here about hoshanah rabbah seudah.

sequoia

Post Yesterday at 8:18 pm
All I know about Judaism I learned on imamother. (c)

Ruchel  

Post Today at 6:46 am
Women hitting hoshana

chmom

Post Today at 9:03 am
How horrifyingly common marital rape seems to be.

BaltoMom65

Post Today at 9:10 am
SO MANY THINGS! But mostly cultural. That every night 'supper ' includes like 2-4 courses, that sleep away camp and designer clothes are necessities, and how very sensitive rich people are to others discussing budgets. I've also learned how old fashioned and misogynistic some people still are. But I've also learned how wonderful and generous and caring people on a website are. Ultimately, the posters here are kind and well meaning.

shabbatiscoming

Post Today at 11:03 am
Ive learned a LOT about the communities that I am not a part of such as the charedi, yeshivish, chassidish communities all over.
And its always interesting to hear what american frum life is like. I left american when I was 23. Im almost 45.

MyUsername  

Post Today at 12:16 pm
That people use baby monitors on shabbos. I can't for the life of me understand how that would be ok (I'm modern orthodox for reference).

Ezpz

Post Today at 3:02 pm
MyUsername wrote:
That people use baby monitors on shabbos. I can't for the life of me understand how that would be ok (I'm modern orthodox for reference).

Our very yeshivish Rav says we are allowed to…that is good enough for me Very Happy

I never heard of women going to mikvah on Erev yk before this site!

lamplighter

Post Today at 3:53 pm
All about the Lakewood life - I find it fascinating!

Ruchel

Post Today at 4:08 pm
Oh, a good one. Filming a bris on shabbes if you don't touch the cam. I asked and was told no. I was so jealous

chassidisheveib  

Post Today at 4:28 pm
MyUsername wrote:

Ours was fine to use as it’s only live and the sound was anyways turned off.

shanarishona

Post Today at 4:35 pm
Not having relations in the same house that a parent is sitting shiva
Does anyone have a source for this?

lovingmommy3417

Post Today at 4:40 pm
MyUsername wrote:

We asked the shailah and was told it's ok as long as you don't talk in the babys room that has the monitor. Why would it not be ok?

MyUsername

Post Today at 6:18 pm
lovingmommy3417 wrote:
We asked the shailah and was told it's ok as long as you don't talk in the babys room that has the monitor. Why would it not be ok?

Our rav says it isn't, I hadn't heard of any rabbis that said it is in the various modern orthodox or dati leumi communities I've lived in. So I was quite surprised to find that many people on imamother who are more religious than me use them. I don't doubt you are following your rabbis, I respect that. But our rav and the others I've encountered in MO or DL communities all say it is a problem.

It is electronic equipment that you are affecting and it is melachah. Even if you don't talk (which sounds difficult by the way), you still make other sounds. Or your baby does. Is it ok just for sound? Or just for video? Or both? But it is parallel to the following - could I leave a phone on over shabbos on a call to someone else like my parents before shabbos so they could hear their grandbaby over shabbos? Could I leave my video camera on shabbos to make videos even if I don't talk in front of it? Could I leave a microphone on so we could hear the baby anywhere in the house? Could I join a zoom seder on my computer if I mute my microphone? Could my parents and I leave zoom open from before shabbos so my parents could watch us have shabbos? Could my kids and I use walkie talkies on shabbos if they were just on all the time anyway? Why is a baby monitor any different than a telephone, videocall on a phone or computer, a walkie talkie, a video camera, an audio recording, etc?

I am confused about what the basis would be for allowing baby monitors but none of these other things. I would actually be happy to hear why it isn't melachah, the basis for the psaks that many of you have gotten.

chassidisheveib  

Post Today at 6:20 pm
MyUsername wrote:
Our rav says it isn't, I hadn't heard of any rabbis that said it is in the various modern orthodox or dati leumi communities I've lived in. So I was quite surprised to find that many people on imamother who are more religious than me use them. I don't doubt you are following your rabbis, I respect that. But our rav and the others I've encountered in MO or DL communities all say it is a problem.

It is electronic equipment that you are affecting and it is melachah. Even if you don't talk (which sounds difficult by the way), you still make other sounds. Or your baby does. Is it ok just for sound? Or just for video? Or both? But it is parallel to the following - could I leave a phone on over shabbos on a call to someone else like my parents before shabbos so they could hear their grandbaby over shabbos? Could I leave my video camera on shabbos to make videos even if I don't talk in front of it? Could I leave a microphone on so we could hear the baby anywhere in the house? Could I join a zoom seder on my computer if I mute my microphone? Could my parents and I leave zoom open from before shabbos so my parents could watch us have shabbos? Could my kids and I use walkie talkies on shabbos if they were just on all the time anyway? Why is a baby monitor any different than a telephone, videocall on a phone or computer, a walkie talkie, a video camera, an audio recording, etc?

I am confused about what the basis would be for allowing baby monitors but none of these other things. I would actually be happy to hear why it isn't melachah, the basis for the psaks that many of you have gotten.

I was wondering the same.
Since I was told that it’s only live feed, we are able to use it since it does not save recordings and we anyways turned off the sound.

chassidisheveib

Post Today at 6:21 pm
MyUsername wrote:

My question is ppl who have video cameras inside their home and post pics of things it recorded on shabbos.

missknowitall

Post Today at 6:30 pm
This goes through why video cameras can be permissible on shabbos https://www.star-k.org/article.....te-4/

GLUE

Post Today at 7:09 pm
What nursing clean meant

What a covered Sheital is
That there are people who feel they can pick out what type of head covering their Daughter-in-law should wear.
Changing your head covering means you changed your Frum level

yalixoxo

Post Today at 7:41 pm
Different minhagim of Chasidim
How much tuition people pay
Realize how many of us go through same issues
Which vib to get

ectomorph

Post Today at 7:49 pm
Everyone is in therapy (I am, so I guess it's true)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics