Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Vent! This is so difficult!
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:47 pm
Really just looking for support here. I feel like hashem just dealt me a really hard set of cards and I want to give up and fall apart but I have no choice but to keep going. I have multiple kids with different allergies. They are severe allergies and have been hospitalized for anaphylaxis in the past. I can’t go away or eat out, I have a hard time inviting guest because of what they feed their kids in my kids space, I can’t find Morah’s who are willing to take responsibility, the never ending eczema, the endless cooking for everyone’s special diets and my poor children are growing up as “different” because they can never eat what their peers are eating. None of them are candidates for OIT at the moment, and I’m feeling so overwhelmed with all this. Yes, we can all hope they’ll outgrow most of them but so far only very minimal progress.

amother
Bellflower

Post Yesterday at 10:49 pm
Yes!!!

I hate when people say "it's just allergies."

amother
Lemonlime

Post Yesterday at 10:49 pm
I got a really hard set of cards also including allergies

amother
Forestgreen  

Post Yesterday at 10:51 pm
Can you ask your allergist about dupixent or Xolair? Both of those shots have been life changing for my family. BH, anaphylactic reactions are a thing of the past and they can actually eat those foods that they were so allergic to.

amother
Starflower

Post Yesterday at 10:53 pm
I feel for you OP, my kid doesn’t have allergies but he’s autistic and doesn’t sleep and I don’t even know what’s night and day anymore in our house. Challenging kids are sooo hard and can really upend our lives.

amother
Clear

Post Yesterday at 11:02 pm
also have allergy and eczema kids here. it's very hard it feels like it just takes so much to manage everything, especially managing the eczema that just doesn't want to go away. just sending support Hug

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:10 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
Can you ask your allergist about dupixent or Xolair? Both of those shots have been life changing for my family. BH, anaphylactic reactions are a thing of the past and they can actually eat those foods that they were so allergic to.

My allergist mentioned it but told me I could expect that it would take down the level of reaction, not enable them to eat it. For example, highly allergic to dairy and instead of having a full anaphylactic reaction, having hives. Either way I still can’t give the foods so yes, it takes away some of the anxiety of a the severity but practically speaking how much does it help?

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:13 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
I feel for you OP, my kid doesn’t have allergies but he’s autistic and doesn’t sleep and I don’t even know what’s night and day anymore in our house. Challenging kids are sooo hard and can really upend our lives.

Thank you. I feel for you too!
Yes, challenging kids are so difficult, especially as you watch life around you continue as “normal” (obviously everyone has challenges)

doodlesmom

Post Yesterday at 11:14 pm
When my son went into anaphylactic shock, my relative with allergy kids said bring along the epipen and Benadryl up there it’s a key straight to Gan Eden with all the stress allergies cause!

amother
  Forestgreen  

Post Yesterday at 11:18 pm
I have one kid on Dupixent that is eating things that they were highly allergic to. I have another one that started Xolair and their eczema is a million times better.. which means that they are sleeping better so their mood is overall better. We are going to start OIT when we hit the 6 month mark.
I have a nephew on Xolair that previously could not come in contact with dairy and was allergic to all egg options and he is eating both.

amother
Violet

Post Yesterday at 11:23 pm
Have children just diagnosed as celiac and most people don’t understand what it means and entails.
At this point, it’s easier to say that they have like an allergy so that people are careful.
I have to make them food for school and train them to check all labels. Teachers and school staff don’t always remember to check for them.

amother
Maize

Post Yesterday at 11:43 pm
I have 3 boys and all three had food allergies. BH 2 of the 3 outgrew them. We took my oldest to try NAET. We had to stop in the middle for personal reasons. He is still anaphylactic to nuts and dairy, but used to get really bad eczema from eggs and can now eat foods with eggs and even an omelet!!!!

Just a thought if you are willing to try alternative.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Today at 12:03 am
I have a child very allergic to almost everything that is outside the category of most fruits and vegetables+ rice . It's really hard. We learn to appreciate what 'can' be eaten. Going out , sending to school, going away is always a chore. There are no cutting corners and buying something ready made. No quick options like a sandwich, ever. Its tough! Totally hear u.

MarthaS

Post Today at 12:49 am
OP I feel your pain! There's no way to take a short break for even one meal, ever!
I have only child with allergies and cannot fathom coping with more. Cannot even fathom how I manage as is!
Allergies is truly it's own category of special needs, it has definitely changed the life of my entire family.
My child is getting older now and in addition of struggling with this challenge, they also feel so excluded and different than their peers. I wish food was not such a central point in our lives.

amother
IndianRed

Post Today at 1:29 am
Can those meds work on allergies not food related? My dd is extremely allergic to dust and we can never visit overnight our relatives who live in old houses in Passaic or New York she gets so severely sick.

amother
  Forestgreen  

Post Today at 1:40 am
amother IndianRed wrote:
Can those meds work on allergies not food related? My dd is extremely allergic to dust and we can never visit overnight our relatives who live in old houses in Passaic or New York she gets so severely sick.

That has definitely been our experience! This summer was night and day different.. Usually going outside is a miserable experience... my family member on Dupixent was able to wear lenses this summer which they usually can't do, because their eyes are so irritated .

amother
Caramel

Post Today at 2:48 am
Dupixant has been a miracle drug for my 2 kids who had severe eczema.
Really severe.
Baruch HaShem!!!!

I plan to ask about xolair for my allergy kid at our next appointment.

OP
It’s totally worth it if it will bring it from anaphylaxis to just hives. It’s a huge life changing difference!

amother
Freesia

Post Today at 4:03 am
I’m totally with you! I have to cook 3 different dinners every night because of the intersection of allergies. And if we go anywhere I have to cook and bring all the food for my kids.
Allergic2allergies has a great website and WhatsApp support group.

amother
Waterlily

Post Today at 5:05 am
amother OP wrote:
My allergist mentioned it but told me I could expect that it would take down the level of reaction, not enable them to eat it. For example, highly allergic to dairy and instead of having a full anaphylactic reaction, having hives. Either way I still can’t give the foods so yes, it takes away some of the anxiety of a the severity but practically speaking how much does it help?

A Morah is much more likely to take responsibility for a child with a 'regular' allergy that would lead to hives if she makes a mistake, than for one who could go into anaphylactic shock if she makes a mistake.

camp123

Post Today at 5:11 am
Just want to agree with you. Most people can't understand how much it impacts your life everyday. It's very hard
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics