Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Sukkos is 9 Days…?

asg

Post Yesterday at 12:26 pm
How old were you when you realized that Sukkos is a day longer than Pesach? In shock when my husband informed me. Makes me wonder what else I don’t know…

shabbatiscoming  

Post Yesterday at 12:32 pm
asg wrote:
How old were you when you realized that Sukkos is a day longer than Pesach? In shock when my husband informed me. Makes me wonder what else I don’t know…
It is not. Sukot is 7 days and then shmini atzeret and simchat torah are right after, but they are not part of sukot. And the proof in that is that at least most people, do not sit in the sukah.

water_bear88  

Post Yesterday at 12:36 pm
I know I was already married when I realized Sukkot has a longer Chol Hamoed than Pesach.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Yesterday at 12:40 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
I know I was already married when I realized Sukkot has a longer Chol Hamoed than Pesach.

Please explain. Each chag has the first day of chag and the last day of chag. Or two in chul. Its the same amount of day. How can one have a longer chol hamoed than the other. It only depends when the first chag fall out how many days o chol hamoed is.

water_bear88  

Post Yesterday at 12:48 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Please explain. Each chag has the first day of chag and the last day of chag. Or two in chul. Its the same amount of day. How can one have a longer chol hamoed than the other. It only depends when the first chag fall out how many days o chol hamoed is.

In Israel, days 2-7 of Sukkot are Chol Hamoed, while for Pesach only days 2-6 are. In Chutz La'aretz, that's 3-7 and 3-6, respectively.

kugelEater

Post Yesterday at 12:50 pm
No. The last day of Sukkos is Hoshana Rabbah. I don't think we hold it is the same as CH"M. I think I saw in my siddur that kedushah is different on Hoshana Rabbah, and a lot of people have a seuda or two.

shabbatiscoming

Post Yesterday at 12:50 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
In Israel, days 2-7 of Sukkot are Chol Hamoed, while for Pesach only days 2-6 are. In Chutz La'aretz, that's 3-7 and 3-6, respectively.
Ah, right, there is no last day of sukot chag. My bad. Too much yuntiv catching up with me Smile

water_bear88

Post Yesterday at 12:52 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Ah, right, there is no last day of sukot chag. My bad. Too much yuntiv catching up with me Smile

I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one confused by it! I feel like every year since I first figured it out I need to recalculate it.

Elfrida

Post Yesterday at 2:24 pm
Big clue.
Shmini Atzeret is on the eighth day.
Then add an extra day for chutz l'aretz.

wanttobehappy

Post Yesterday at 5:20 pm
I thought ur saying it as in the 9 days as we don’t do laundry 🧺….

Blessing1  

Post Yesterday at 5:23 pm
water_bear88 wrote:

Sukkos does not have a longer chol hamoed than pesach. Hoshana Raba is following chol hamoed & is the last day of sukkos. Hoshana Raba is not part of chol hamoed.

Bethany85  

Post Yesterday at 6:43 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Sukkos does not have a longer chol hamoed than pesach. Hoshana Raba is following chol hamoed & is the last day of sukkos. Hoshana Raba is not part of chol hamoed.

It is definitely chol hamoed. It’s not Yom Tov.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Yesterday at 6:58 pm
I was a kid. And in school we always learned when we say hallel shalem (which I was always wondering about because it doesn't work in Eretz Yisroel)- בבטח.
ב- פסח (first two days)
ב- שבועות
ט- סוכות (and שמיני עצרת)
ח- חנוכה

Iow, we learned that we say whole hallel all 9 days of Sukkos

rising hero

Post Yesterday at 7:12 pm
Right. This coming pesach we're having three days Yom tov first days but not second days cuz there's one day less (hoshana rabba and Shevii shel pesach are the seventh day)

smile12345

Post Yesterday at 7:36 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
It is not. Sukot is 7 days and then shmini atzeret and simchat torah are right after, but they are not part of sukot. And the proof in that is that at least most people, do not sit in the sukah.

If not for shmini atzeres, everyone WOULD sit in the sukkah in chutz la'aretz on that day because there's always an extra day of the chag. The reason people some don't is only because it's also a new chag of shmini atzeres. (Though most people I know actually do eat in the sukkah on shmini atzeres in chutz la'aretz.)

Blessing1

Post Yesterday at 7:39 pm
Bethany85 wrote:
It is definitely chol hamoed. It’s not Yom Tov.

It's yom tov, it's hoshana Raba.
Just like chanuka & purim are yom tov & not called chol hamoed.

NechaMom

Post Yesterday at 7:41 pm
asg wrote:

I don't remember how old I was when I noticed sukkos has 1 day less than pesach and then an additional 2 days of a new yom tov right after.

Bethany85

Post Yesterday at 8:18 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
It's yom tov, it's hoshana Raba.
Just like chanuka & purim are yom tov & not called chol hamoed.

Chanuka and Purim are not Yom Tov. Yom Tov is a halachic term that connotes issur melacha.

emee2

Post Yesterday at 8:28 pm
I was today years old 😳

elisheva25

Post Yesterday at 9:19 pm
Today 🙈
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics