Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you love history and made it your profession…
Previous  1  2  3

SuperWify  

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 11:55 am
Ruchel wrote:
I'm so happy to see this thread. So much for people saying religious aren't scholars.

I appreciate this! When I talk to my friends about this in real life they look at me blankly. They think I’m crazy. But in reality I can’t imagine walking on this earth without thinking of what and who came before me!

amother
  Tuberose

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 12:17 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I appreciate this! When I talk to my friends about this in real life they look at me blankly. They think I’m crazy. But in reality I can’t imagine walking on this earth without thinking of what and who came before me!

I feel this way too lol. I live in a very in town mainstream neighborhood. And I’m in my 30s I find people just don’t appreciate history like I do. It’s mostly looked at as a subject from back in high school

SuperWify  

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 12:34 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
I feel this way too lol. I live in a very in town mainstream neighborhood. And I’m in my 30s I find people just don’t appreciate history like I do. It’s mostly looked at as a subject from back in high school

True, same feelings. I’ve lived in town, out of town and somewhere in between and I have not found anyone that appreciates this part of me. lol.

But then if someone came all excited to me telling me about how airplanes fly and lightbulbs illuminate and toilets flush I’d probably give them the same blank look.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 12:40 pm
Has anyone ever taken a course by YIVO they are free and online.

https://yivo.org/Discovering-Ashkenaz

amother
  Begonia  

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 1:54 pm
SuperWify wrote:
History for the curious is excellent. It’s clean, very well researched and informative. R Aubrey Hirsch

Mishpacha had a brilliant podcast called Veiled Reference which featured woman like Dona Garcia ect but they haven’t updated it in a while

I’m currently loving Dr Henry Abramson a brilliant professor. His content is wild ranging and he doesn’t shy away from anything. He’s on YouTube though. I binged through the whole series yesterday on the Israel-Palestine conflict during my cooking marathon. It is by far the most unbiased and truthful approach I have ever heard.

If your interested in the Cairo Genizah there is a book of fiction pieced together of actual documents found of a convert who lost everything once she converted including her husband to a pogrom. https://www.amazon.com/Convert.....47084

If you would like to learn more about the white slave trade in Europe read the book The Third Sister by Talia Carne (I believe mispacha had a series about this a few years back.)

Thank you so much! I absolutely love Jewish history. I used to read a lot as a kid and teen but now I'm too busy to read much. Love podcasts while I'm cooking/cleaning.

amother
  Begonia

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 1:55 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:

I used to read my entire history book on the first day of school Very Happy

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 2:14 pm
Dr Abramson who is a history professor at Touro has videos on Torah Anytime

tulip3

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 2:43 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
I used to read my entire history book on the first day of school Very Happy

Me tooooooo

GLUE

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 2:59 pm
SuperWify wrote:
The way I learnt it in school was dry. President A here was his policy, president B this was his.

The native Americans were illiterate so no there isn’t much before then. Except on the Vikings discovery and a bit in the maya and Inca civilizations.

That is misconception that the native Americans where illiterate,
There were different tribes and two huge continents there where some tribes that wrote books and other tribes that had a different ways of writing things down that we think of as written works.

The reason people looked for the Vikings in Canada was not because the Norse wrote it down, it's because of the Norse songs that where passed down from generation to generation.

Speaking of the Vikings, in the 1100's or so(I don't remember off hand how far back it was) there was an Irish monk who left Ireland in a leather boat heading west. He came back a few years later with journals of pictures of plants and animals that are native to Massachusetts. He also wrote about the people, His journals are looked at as info about that time period in Massachusetts.

Beautiful

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 3:02 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
Podcast recommendationsi for jewish history lovers?

Rabbi David Katz he is a PhD historian at Hopkins and a shul rabbi in Baltimore.

a2z

Post Fri, Oct 25 2024, 12:34 am
SuperWify wrote:
Has anyone ever taken a course by YIVO they are free and online.

https://yivo.org/Discovering-Ashkenaz

Thanks for posting this!
Gonna look into it!

amother
DarkOrange

Post Fri, Oct 25 2024, 4:21 am
honeymoon wrote:
I have a particular interest in studying jews within a specific time period in history. I find it fascinating to learn what the Jews' roles were during periods like the Civil and revolutionary wars, and how they were impacted by these events.

In school we learned American, Jewish and world history as separate stories. Theres so much context missing and im only learning now as an adult how they were intertwined and the impact world events had on the course of Judaism.

This!!!!! I want to teach Jewish history with global and isreali and American!!!

Where can I read and learn to be able to teach?!

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Oct 25 2024, 5:54 am
My relative loves history and became a tour guide.
Dovi Safier and Yehuda Geberer write a history column in Mishpacha.
Etka Gittel Schwartz and Leah Gebber write historical novels.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics