Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Passing a school bus ticket
Previous  1  2

amother
  Waterlily  

Post Today at 1:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
As I explained I was only a few feet behind the bus one line over. I was fully passed the bus by the time the bus door opened and let the kid out.

So unless a kid would be jumping out the window, what you describe wouldn't be an issue.

That wasn’t her point. Her point was that you are using an excuse you couldn’t stop because you were already passing it- but if someone had went in front of your car you sure would have found a way to stop no matter what, so it’s not really an excuse

amother
  Waterlily

Post Today at 1:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
This is a camera ticket. There's no yellow lights to be seen.

It's all about whether I should have slammed on the brakes to avoid passing the stop sign.

Again- what did you think when you noticed the bus slowing and stopping?

If its sign was going out when you passed it, it means you were passing a stopped bus. So you watched it slow down, watched it stop and then continued driving even seeing it had started opening the stop sign

Yea, you should have slammed on your breaks

amother
  OP

Post Today at 1:26 pm
amother Waterlily wrote:
That wasn’t her point. Her point was that you are using an excuse you couldn’t stop because you were already passing it- but if someone had went in front of your car you sure would have found a way to stop no matter what, so it’s not really an excuse

You're comparing 2 opposites.

1. Someone dashes in front of your car. If you don't slam on the breaks (and risk an accident with the car behind you) you will hit the person.

2. Passing a school bus in a parallel lane as it's stopping is not risking an accident. There's no way the bus door even opened for a few more seconds let alone a child in front of my car.

I get the argument that we should be careful around school busses, but you are comparing my scenario -0% chance of hitting someone- with a 100% chance of hitting someone.

And ultimately I'm interested in learning the law. The still shots and video don't show the bus flashing yellow lights as it was slowing. If I'm contesting the ticket, I don't think I'd have to defend that point.

amother
  Raspberry

Post Today at 1:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
You're comparing 2 opposites.

1. Someone dashes in front of your car. If you don't slam on the breaks (and risk an accident with the car behind you) you will hit the person.

2. Passing a school bus in a parallel lane as it's stopping is not risking an accident. There's no way the bus door even opened for a few more seconds let alone a child in front of my car.

I get the argument that we should be careful around school busses, but you are comparing my scenario -0% chance of hitting someone- with a 100% chance of hitting someone.

And ultimately I'm interested in learning the law. The still shots and video don't show the bus flashing yellow lights as it was slowing. If I'm contesting the ticket, I don't think I'd have to defend that point.

Ok, so you're saying you could have stopped. So you could have braked or run past the bus and get a ticket. You chose to pass the bus. It's not a scam just because you chose to keep going rather than stop.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics