Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Darchei Bina
Previous  1  2

amother
  Burgundy  

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 10:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Was covering knees one of the rules or not? (Just trying to see if we got the objective info).
Really, Kollel was pushed? I'd expect it from a yeshivishe place.

some girls didnt cover their knees but were asked to.
its a frum school, of course they're going to have a rule to cover knees as its halacha. but some girls didnt always.

many teachers gave classes on it, but conveniently left out the details of how they managed to live a kollel lifestyle while being supported... I was in for a rude awakening when I came back from sem and started shidduchim.

workingmom4  

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 10:47 pm
I went to Darchei Binah a few years ago and had a wonderful experience there - I would actually call it life-changing and I believe the person I am today is thanks to them. It is considered a Beis Yaakov but the least beis yaakovy out of all the beis Yaakovs. I would say it was a combination of Beis Yaakov girls who wanted something more open, and girls from modern backgrounds who were becoming more frum (for them it was the frummest place that any of their friends went to). I was in the first category. I did not have a positive experience in the Beis Yaakov system and went to DB because I needed something more open. I made wonderful friends there, all very deep, growing, authentic people and became close with a couple of teachers who helped me a lot with dating and I am still in touch with them several years after marriage. Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Last edited by workingmom4 on Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

workingmom4

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 10:51 pm
Also, Kollel agenda was not pushed however they did instill a strong chashivus hatroah in us that we should value learning and want to marry someone who is koveoah eiteim, support their learning etc...

amother
  Burgundy

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 10:54 pm
workingmom4 wrote:
Also, Kollel agenda was not pushed however they did instill a strong chashivus hatroah in us that we should value learning and want to marry someone who is koveoah eiteim, support their learning etc...

Could be we had different teachers. I know some of my teachers left and new staff came in.
But I deifnitely agree with what you said regarding some girls doing sketchy stuff/not being into the classes.

Also OP, Rabbi kurland takes the students to poland. we went with rabbi kermaier. it was life changing

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 11:11 pm
Thanks so much, Burgundy and Workingmom!
What kind of sketchy stuff were some girls doing? Boyfriends, bars, drinking, worse?
Workingmom, how many years ago did you go there?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 11:34 pm
I read other threads here about DB. It looks like there are usually two groups of girls there - serious, wanting to grow girls and the party type?

amother
Phlox  

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 11:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
I read other threads here about DB. It looks like there are usually two groups of girls there - serious, wanting to grow girls and the party type?

That’s about right.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 1:08 am
My tray is when they introduced the Poland trip. My second year I was made mandatory. They worked very hard to make it enjoyable, meaningful and appropriate.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 6:35 pm
amother OP wrote:

Is this the case with the girls there this year?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Today at 11:59 am
Can anyone tell me what type of girls are there this year?

cfriedman2

Post Today at 12:28 pm
the school announced that for next year (25-26) it was going to become a bais yaakov seminary. I went about 18 years ago and it was open minded on the same level as michala I would say.

amother
  Phlox

Post Today at 1:21 pm
cfriedman2 wrote:
the school announced that for next year (25-26) it was going to become a bais yaakov seminary. I went about 18 years ago and it was open minded on the same level as michala I would say.

I wonder what the practical differences will be.
They've really always been on the edge of Bais Yaakov anyway. They kind of aimed to be a non-bais yaakov that churned out bais yaakov girls.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info