Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Medicaid makes working not worth it
Previous  1  2

amother
  Sapphire

Post Yesterday at 12:24 am
amother Chambray wrote:
BTW you can get diapers through medicaid insurance once a child is passed typical toilet training age/or has a diagnosis. If a child is bedwetting over age of 3.5 can also get diapers covered.
Need prescription from Dr, and there are more than 3 places in bklyn that process and deliver monthly. I don't want to post my screen name as gave way too much info recently on this site, but if you need specific pharmacy details I'll figure out a way to share with you somehow
I live in Lakewood and I used to get but a few years ago the insurance started covering only a generic brand that my kids won't wear. It's also not for babies like you said

amother
Trillium

Post Yesterday at 12:39 am
amother Lotus wrote:
A decent job with decent benefits makes getting Medicaid not worth it.

Eh I have what's considered a decent job with decent benefits and I'm still not sure I'm coming out ahead.

I was previously on Medicaid, WIC, and snap so I know how the other half lives and sometimes I miss it.

amother
  Buttercup  

Post Yesterday at 7:27 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
Why do you think it would be better if you didn't work? You're only paying medical insurance for you as a couple. Your kids already have Medicaid. Snap calculates everything down to the penny and most people only qualify for a little. You already get Wic.

There are no programs for diapers or shirts or anything like that. Programs don't pay most bills, full stop.

SNAP can help.
No insurance or medical costs for the entire family. We have a lot of medical costs- monthly meds etc.
Programs that help with Money for electric bills, heat etc we make too much for. Every time I see a program from the city I live in - it is only if you qualify for SNAP. I found different ones for my city (NOT NY or NJ) and I don't qualify.
Also the frum organizations see our income and say "people are worse off". But once you take into account we get WIC for one toddler, no SNAP, no Medicaid for adults, taxes we pay etc... we make less than they do.

amother
  Buttercup

Post Yesterday at 7:31 pm
Oh and my city has income based childcare. I applied almost a year ago. Still on wait list. But if I quit my job we would get. Apparently just getting Medicaid puts you in a second category.

amother
Candycane

Post Today at 12:45 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
That's my story. I am a SAHM because I have no degree or skills or creative talents. Any job I could get would be for such little pay that it's not worth giving up our benefits.
I actually would like to work but I don't see how. I think we calculated I would need to make 60k to be in the same life style as we are now.

SAME! Thats where I'm holding right now too! I love being a SAHM but finances are tight. But if I earned even a few thousand we would lose a bunch of benefits, so its really not worthwhile my working.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics