Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Suspected ADHD in 3.5 year old
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 7:41 am
My 3.5 year old is hyper from the moment he wakes up. As long as I can remember he never walked he just ran even as a baby. His body is all over the place and he doesn’t modulate his voice or body distance well. He’s rly wild at home with his siblings and he’s a lot to handle. He loves playing in the dirt he’s like a magnet to digging in the dirt and always comes home dirty. But when I ask his morahs how he’s doing they tell me he’s doing really great (they’re the type to tell me if something’s wrong). Does it sound like he has adhd if so is there anything to do for him right now?

Success10  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 7:46 am
Too early to tell. In the interim, you can try to rule out if anything might be "bothering" him. Have his hearing checked. See if he's getting enough sleep. Learn sensory activities to do with him. Try to stay away from foods you see might trigger him, like food colorings or sugar.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 7:51 am
Success10 wrote:
Too early to tell. In the interim, you can try to rule out if anything might be "bothering" him. Have his hearing checked. See if he's getting enough sleep. Learn sensory activities to do with him. Try to stay away from foods you see might trigger him, like food colorings or sugar.

Too early to tell is that because some of it is normal 3.5 year old behavior? For example he comes in my room 7 am immediately wakes up my baby and is just ALL over him hyper laughing so loud jumping non stop touching him etc. he usually sleeps 7-630 ish

Success10  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 7:55 am
amother OP wrote:
Too early to tell is that because some of it is normal 3.5 year old behavior? For example he comes in my room 7 am immediately wakes up my baby and is just ALL over him hyper laughing so loud jumping non stop touching him etc. he usually sleeps 7-630 ish

Some things could be normal 3 yo behavior. Also, other things need to be ruled out before deciding on ADHD, and he might not be old enough yet to rule out those other things. Like vision challenges. Also, he might just be really wild, yet not check off all the boxes for ADHD. You need more data from a couple of years of playgroup/preschool to get a really good picture.

Do you have ADHD in the family?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 8:01 am
Success10 wrote:
Some things could be normal 3 yo behavior. Also, other things need to be ruled out before deciding on ADHD, and he might not be old enough yet to rule out those other things. Like vision challenges. Also, he might just be really wild, yet not check off all the boxes for ADHD. You need more data from a couple of years of playgroup/preschool to get a really good picture.

Do you have ADHD in the family?

I forgot to mention that it does- my husband had adhd as a kid. He outgrew the hyperactive part of it but still has trouble focusing. BH he does a great job masking it. The only area it plays a role in is night Seder he has trouble focusing but he’s also so tired at night. He hasn’t taken meds in a long long time for it. But he did struggle with this as a kid

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 9:15 am
He can definitely benefit from OT for sensory seeking behaviors. and probably reflex integration.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 9:16 am
mushkamothers wrote:
He can definitely benefit from OT for sensory seeking behaviors. and probably reflex integration.

Can you please elaborate what you mean? What do they do and what’s the process

hello54321  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 10:25 am
Could have written the same post. My son is almost 3. His body is literally all over other people. He gets hyper around other kids, especially his younger brother. I also see some distractibility though. I was looking into OT. Any recommendations in Brooklyn

hello54321  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 10:41 am
My son's teacher did complain last year that he doesn't stop jumping and touching other kids. This year the rabbi didn't complain about that only that he doesn't respond when he talks to him.. Which I am noticing as a separate issue. He has such anxiety with other adults and just looks at them blankly when they talk to him

Success10

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 11:04 am
hello54321 wrote:
My son's teacher did complain last year that he doesn't stop jumping and touching other kids. This year the rabbi didn't complain about that only that he doesn't respond when he talks to him.. Which I am noticing as a separate issue. He has such anxiety with other adults and just looks at them blankly when they talk to him

Have you explored the possibility of ASD?

amother
Burgundy  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 12:03 pm
Never to early to work on gut health. The gut is the seat of the nervous system and a healthy gut = a healthy nervous system.

I'd also make sure he wasn't mouth breathing or having sleep apnea.

Reflex integration is a good idea as well

giftedmom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 12:06 pm
Some of it is regular toddler behavior. He may be high energy and have SPD. Overall it’s too early to know.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 12:22 pm
I have 2 boys that were like this at 3. One has ADHD and one doesn't. Some boys are just wild and high energy.

Eta it is too early to know.

hello54321  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 1:21 pm
Success10 wrote:
Have you explored the possibility of ASD?

I was concerned about it but I did a lot of research and it doesn't look like it. Also, whoever knows him well brushed away my concerns. He loves socializing with children.

hello54321  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 1:22 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
Never to early to work on gut health. The gut is the seat of the nervous system and a healthy gut = a healthy nervous system.

I'd also make sure he wasn't mouth breathing or having sleep apnea.

Reflex integration is a good idea as well

Can you elaborate? My son breathes with his mouth...

amother
  Burgundy  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 1:32 pm
hello54321 wrote:
Can you elaborate? My son breathes with his mouth...
Mouth breathing affects nervous system development. Sleep apnea is closely linked to adhd. See an airway informed orthodontist to help you address this.

hello54321  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 1:42 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
Mouth breathing affects nervous system development. Sleep apnea is closely linked to adhd. See an airway informed orthodontist to help you address this.

Reccomendations?

amother
  Burgundy  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 1:42 pm
hello54321 wrote:
Reccomendations?
Where are you located?

hello54321  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 1:47 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
Where are you located?

BP

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 1:55 pm
I have a 2.5 year old girl that I suspect is adhd, but it’s more than just being wild. She had no fear-will run into street, run away from me in public areas, grab knives, also hated being contained so climbs out of crib and carriage even when buckled, will empty out fridge and crack raw eggs, climbs onto table, drags chairs to counter and empties out cabinets. Also she needs to figure out everything herself so until she decides something is dangerous she’ll keep doing it (don’t think she’s learned from any past injuries yet). She can also play nicely with other kids and follow along nicely with Morah but the minute she’s bored she’ll make trouble. To be adhd it’s more than just hyper I think. There’s creativity, impulsivity, strong desire to do things their own way etc
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)