Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Feeding expectations

amother
OP

Post Yesterday at 11:04 am
What age can I expect a kid to help themselves to a snack, if they get hungry between meals?

What age can I expect a kid to figure out an alternative on their own if they don't like what I've served?

What are some simple (parve) alternatives I can suggest/have available?

How do I field I'm hungry complaints without loosimg my patience?

I would be in the kitchen all day if I cooked for my kids each one when they felt like eating what they felt like eating.. I have boys amd they have appetites kah and like filling food (and junk). I want to feed them healthy, I don't have energy to keep up with what they can eat.

I love the idea of keeping cut veggies and fruits accessible in the fridge, or even roasted veggies or simple things they can take.. but there is no way of knowing what will go, and that just sounds like alot of futile effort and food waste.. (besides not having time/energy for so much cooking - if something is good - it goes fast, not enough for freezer)

How do people keep up??

(I'm not talking about yom tov.. this is an everyday stress that is coming up now cuz my 6 yr old has been asking me since 8am when lunch is)

amother
Cyan

Post Yesterday at 11:21 am
4yr old takes his own breakfast.
Teens mope upside down while kvetching in my face that thre is no food in the house and they are starving.
They can learn at a young age but may forget and become needy again for some time

amother
Powderblue

Post Yesterday at 11:23 am
I think somewhere between 8 and 12 depending on the kid. But you need to have conversation with the kid about foods they like and teach them how to prepare it. My mother bought a sandwich maker when my brother was 9 and he took the bread cheese and butter and assembled it himself. All of my kids are taught to make pb and j sandwiches by 10. Some of my kids eat yogurt when they don't like the meal. We always have deli in the fridge. If my kids try some new food and like it I make it more often.

giftedmom

Post Yesterday at 12:12 pm
At this point I know what each kid likes and I keep easy options available. Like tuna, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cheese, pb, bread, wraps etc.
so if they say their hungry I give them acceptable easy options.

cuffs

Post Yesterday at 12:17 pm
Honestly if my kids are kvetching they’re hungry and I don’t have patience/not available I tell them to make themselves a sandwich or they can take cereal. I also have ready in the freezer pancakes/blintzes/bagels/frozen pizza that they can help themselves too.
Sandwich can be as simple as peanut butter or they can take cold cuts…

Last edited by cuffs on Wed, Oct 16 2024, 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lily

Post Yesterday at 12:17 pm
I don’t serve food between meals. From young ages they can take fruits, vegetables, and snacks. I do mostly make what they like but if they aren’t in the mood or one kid doesn’t like it, they can make themselves a sandwich. My kids start at 4 minus the sandwich.

amother
Sage

Post Yesterday at 12:21 pm
I don’t think there’s an age it’s a lot more a personality thing I’ve been fed in high school, prob not normal..
Guessing when they can use a stove their ready to help themselves more

Breakfast is usually cereal, waffles or yogurt oatmeal
If they’re hungrier
frozen pizza in the freezer
Noodles
Mac and cheese
If erev yontif it’s more like rice and shnitzel at 11 I feed while I’m cooking it
Veggies, mini bourekas, the stuff I’m making I have ready to eat all day

amother
Ruby

Post Yesterday at 2:10 pm
My 3 year old can help herself to a snack bag or piece of fruit or cheese or yogurt from the fridge. My 5 year old can tell me what alternative dinner she wants, but can't make it herself yet.

Our dinner alternatives:
From the freezer : hot dogs and chicken nuggets (only allowed 1x a week per child), homemade meatballs.
Sandwiches: cream cheese, cheese, peanut butter, deli
Yogurt and crackers,
Leftovers from another night,
Pasta with cheese.

amother
Burntblack

Post Yesterday at 2:48 pm
4 yr old takes snacks from the pantry or fresh fruit from the counter.
I always have rice in a rice machine and frozen pizza in freezer, cereal, yogurt, cheese and bread—7+ yr old can take any of those if they want.
My 11+ year olds can cook if they can clean. My
13 yr old often makes stir fries, grills chicken cutlets, or makes sesame noodles.

I try to make a balanced dinner that the kids will like, but if for whatever reason they don’t, or I don’t have it together that day, they’re mostly capable to get what they want.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics