Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Did you buy yourself something new for yt?
Previous  1  2

abound  

Post Today at 7:52 am
No

abound

Post Today at 7:53 am
amother Banana wrote:
I ordered a cropped cable knit bow sweater and matching slip dress from shein. Really excited to wear it on yom tov iyh!

Can u share the link please?

penguin

Post Today at 7:57 am
Books

amother
Bone  

Post Today at 8:01 am
As a response to the meat on yom tov thread, it is as much halacha that a man buys his wife a gift for yom tov as that there is meat (and that kids get treats).

Chayalle

Post Today at 8:05 am
amother Bone wrote:
As a response to the meat on yom tov thread, it is as much halacha that a man buys his wife a gift for yom tov as that there is meat (and that kids get treats).

Yeah, my husband asked me more than once if I got a new outfit for YT. I told him he is welcome to visit the stores if he wants to. I hate the pre-YT crowd. I took care of my teen Bein Hazmanim, never got there for myself, and am not going now.

I BH have what to wear - made two weddings this past year so I have some things from Sheva Brachos. Hopefully they still fit.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Today at 8:12 am
amother Bone wrote:

The Halacha is that a women should get new clothing or jewelry not that DH needs to buy her a gift …
My DH is Makpid that I get something new.
But it isn’t a gift from him

amother
  Bone

Post Today at 8:15 am
Chayalle wrote:
Yeah, my husband asked me more than once if I got a new outfit for YT. I told him he is welcome to visit the stores if he wants to. I hate the pre-YT crowd. I took care of my teen Bein Hazmanim, never got there for myself, and am not going now.

I BH have what to wear - made two weddings this past year so I have some things from Sheva Brachos. Hopefully they still fit.

The reason for the halacha is that it is supposed to increase your simchas yom tov.

Like you, I hate shopping. But I happily remind dh, that a gift from him increases my simcha and jewelry is always appreciated.

From Rambam

"What is implied? Children should be given roasted seeds, nuts, and sweets. For women, one should buy attractive clothes and jewelry according to one's financial capacity."

And the Shulchan Aruch

2. It is an obligation for a man to be happy and in good spirits on the holiday - him, his wife, his kids, and all who are with him. How should he make them happy? He should give the children nuts and the women new clothes and jewelry according to his finances.

The halacha is on dh.

amother
Gray

Post Today at 8:20 am
Bought myself a fuzzy throw to wrap myself in , in the sukkah . Got it on Amazon .
I did this because I have had some difficult Sukkah experiences in life and just worked through it in therapy . At the end of the session I felt HaShem hugging me in a warm embrace , and it felt warm and fuzzy . My therapist suggested that I wrap myself in a fuzzy blanket in the Sukkah as a resource to give me that same feeling I felt after my session. So that was the gift I got myself for Yom Tov 😀.

amother
Phlox

Post Today at 8:50 am
Yes, but only because I have a family simcha over YT and needed something new to wear that my family hasn't seen me multiple times already.

amother
Starflower

Post Today at 8:52 am
amother Banana wrote:
I ordered a cropped cable knit bow sweater and matching slip dress from shein. Really excited to wear it on yom tov iyh!

Can you send a link?

amother
Petunia

Post Today at 9:01 am
No. We don’t have money. Can’t afford to buy myself anything.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Today at 9:08 am
I usually never buy anything and then I am scrounging yom tov morning for something to wear and feelling upset

This past january when junees had 70% off the whole store I bought two outfits that I put aside for sukkos

J also treated myself to a few shabbos makeup products before RH which really enhanced my yom tov

amother
Myrtle

Post Today at 9:10 am
amother Gray wrote:
Bought myself a fuzzy throw to wrap myself in , in the sukkah . Got it on Amazon .
I did this because I have had some difficult Sukkah experiences in life and just worked through it in therapy . At the end of the session I felt HaShem hugging me in a warm embrace , and it felt warm and fuzzy . My therapist suggested that I wrap myself in a fuzzy blanket in the Sukkah as a resource to give me that same feeling I felt after my session. So that was the gift I got myself for Yom Tov 😀.

That’s beautiful. May you only have good experiences from now on!

amother
NeonPink

Post Today at 9:21 am
amother Banana wrote:

Can you please share the links? Also, what is their shipping turnaround?

amother
DarkOrange

Post Today at 9:22 am
2 outfits BH and dh bought me earrings for RH that counts for Sukkos too lol BH

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Today at 9:33 am
amother Bone wrote:

2. It is an obligation for a man to be happy and in good spirits on the holiday - him, his wife, his kids, and all who are with him. How should he make them happy? He should give the children nuts and the women new clothes and jewelry according to his finances.

The halacha is on dh.

Reb Yaakov kamenesky said that a dh can also buy his wife food or cake that she would enjoy in the place of clothing or jewelry.

If a wife buys herself something according to halacha the household money belongs to the dh so her dh paid for it and it is the same thing as him buying it. It isn’t that the dh needs to buy it and present it to her. Anything the wife buys for yom tov like new clothing falls under this.

I bought myself some new clothing and new dish towels.

amother
  Wisteria

Post Today at 10:31 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Reb Yaakov kamenesky said that a dh can also buy his wife food or cake that she would enjoy in the place of clothing or jewelry.

If a wife buys herself something according to halacha the household money belongs to the dh so her dh paid for it and it is the same thing as him buying it. It isn’t that the dh needs to buy it and present it to her. Anything the wife buys for yom tov like new clothing falls under this.

I bought myself some new clothing and new dish towels.

Okay this is officially my favorite psak right now!! Chocolate and fancy coffee (cheaper than clothes and jewelry) for the win!!

mha3484

Post Today at 10:34 am
I got three new tops that I hope will last me a long time. I've been having a very hard time finding flattering clothing that doesnt look like a tent but doesnt make me look pregnant.

workingmama3  

Post Today at 11:53 am
I got a sheitel bh! I'm so happy, it was sooo needed. 4 years in the making. Bh.

workingmama3

Post Today at 11:55 am
amother Gray wrote:

I'm so sorry you've had bad Sukkos experiences. We learn that the Sukkah is Hashem's to us also, as it surrounds us by all sides. Enjoy your hug in a hug!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics