Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
YT does not have to cost this much
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:50 am
I agree. We have some lighter dairy meals and one or two fancy red meat dishes and it feels very festive

amother
Hyacinth  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:54 am
Our rav holds every male must eat kzayis of meat each day of yom tov including chol hamoed. (And a reviyas wine).

Honestly if we are 10-15 ppl per meal (including chol hamoed). a small roast isnt enough, especially if I want to stretch for to meals.
So I do serve meat and chicken every meal to stretch the meat.
Also the pastrami pockets or meat egg roll is also to stretch the meat situation. (Besides I try to make extra exciting special dishes in honor of the shalosh regalim).

And many times a roast is cheaper than chicken. I buy both on sale.

My minute roasts and square roast were $6.99 per lb. They come out cheaper than chicken $6.99/lb when I have to prepare for a crowd.

Ground meat at 4.99/lb in a lasagna stretches much further than chicken.

So yes I have lots of meat and chicken in my freezer but it was bought on sales.
And we really need it.

amother
Brass  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:59 am
amother Rose wrote:
I completely agree people go so over the top. The gluttony is insane.

What a horrible thing to say to wonderful women working hard to honor yom tov as we a requested to do- eat nice meals.

Of course chicken on the bone is great! I had huge culture shock when I got married & my mil served so much meat & fish. But the truth is we don't usually eat meat outside of yom tov & we really love a good roast so I do it too. Also the price difference between chicken & the cheaper cuts of meat have been shrinking to the point where I can serve a smaller portion of meat which we prefer over more chicken for similar cost (this is trylue for the specific shechita we trust- I'm sure it's not the case everywhere).

notshanarishona  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:01 am
Where do you live that chicken is $6.99 a lb and meat also? Unless you are buying shnitzel you should be able to buy drum sticks for cheaper prices or thighs in the $3-4 range.

amother
  Darkblue  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:02 am
I hate how everyone now feels like they need to justify themselves as to why they buy or eat meat just to prove that we're not gluttons.

amother
  Melon  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:04 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
I hate how everyone now feels like they need to justify themselves as to why they buy or eat meat just to prove that we're not gluttons.

It’s horrible. Has to win at being the most disturbing thing I’ve read on here.

notshanarishona  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:06 am
amother OP wrote:
I dont know what you mean. What is regular chicken and what is yom tov dik chicken?

For me regular chicken is when it’s served plain with potatoes or rice. Sometimes it’s more noodles than chicken or just chicken wings .
Yom tov / Shabbos chicken is breaded/ with sauce/ stir fry , occasionally cutlets.

Trademark

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:06 am
amother Rose wrote:
I completely agree people go so over the top. The gluttony is insane.

Having meat and wine lekuvid Yom tov is brought down in chazal. It's not gluttony.

amother
Lawngreen  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:08 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Our rav holds every male must eat kzayis of meat each day of yom tov including chol hamoed. (And a reviyas wine).

Many rabbonim hold this way. And that is why there's so much financial help for yom tov. No one should be stuck eating chicken on the bone for financial reasons.

amother
  Hyacinth  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:14 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Where do you live that chicken is $6.99 a lb and meat also? Unless you are buying shnitzel you should be able to buy drum sticks for cheaper prices or thighs in the $3-4 range.

Lakewood.
We get very good meat and chicken. prices on sale

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:24 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Lakewood.
We get very good meat and chicken. prices on sale

Except you can get chicken for $2.79-$2.99/lb

lamplighter

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:29 am
I find the salads to be a big money eater. Here people are serving 3 salads per meal and those costs add up quickly. At least meat and chicken you can eat leftovers, most salads not.

amother
  Hyacinth  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:30 am
amother Smokey wrote:
Except you can get chicken for $2.79-$2.99/lb

On the bone. The bone and skin costs money.

$6.99 cleaned cutlets comes out the same price per person , if not less, then the $2.79/lb on the bone.
The cost is almost equal.
Cutlets can be stretched further with rice and vegetables.
There is much less waste with cutlets. (Kids leave half the chicken on the bone…)

mha3484  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:33 am
amother Lawngreen wrote:
Many rabbonim hold this way. And that is why there's so much financial help for yom tov. No one should be stuck eating chicken on the bone for financial reasons.

I think I live on another planet. I live in what I consider a very generous community. I don't know any organization providing that quantity so that no one should eat chicken.

Maot Chitim gives a case of chicken and a roast, a case of grape juice and some other items.

Our chesed kitchen which covers the whole gamut of meals for those who are ill or recovering, post partum meals, people who just moved, those facing financial difficulties gives a mix of chicken and meat.

I get help from a different distribution and my rebbetzin gives me plenty of chicken in addition to some roast. Its not expected to have red meat at every meal in my circles.

Maybe this is why we can't relate to each other. Our life experiences are just too different.

Last edited by mha3484 on Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
  Hyacinth  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:34 am
lamplighter wrote:
I find the salads to be a big money eater. Here people are serving 3 salads per meal and those costs add up quickly. At least meat and chicken you can eat leftovers, most salads not.

Only lettuce can’t be reused.

I specifically make salads I can serve multiple meals
Quinoa (I pad with beets, sweet potato, onions)
Corn salad (can corn is not expensive)
Cabbage salads
Marinated salads
Cucumber
Etc
They can last a long time and save a lot of time at each meal and double as a vegetable side. And bec they can be sever over and over again there is little waste.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:44 am
amother Lawngreen wrote:

With all due respect, chicken on the bone is perfect. The way you wrote that makes it sound like bread and salt. There are women in my community and on this site (who I wrote this thread for) who don't get ANY community assistance and would be thrilled if they received a box of chicken on the bone. My kids get sick of it because it's 2 meals a day, 2/3 days in a row, broken up by some creativity.

I live in a city full of chessed and sadly there are too many people in need. There is no way in the world to provide red meat to everyone.

Chicken on the bone is a good, hearty, fleishig meal.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:45 am
mha3484 wrote:
Its not expected to have red meat at every meal in my circles.

Maybe this is why we can't relate to each other. Our life experiences are just too different.

You nailed it here. I wonder if this is community dependent?

amother
  Hyacinth  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:47 am
amother OP wrote:
With all due respect, chicken on the bone is perfect. The way you wrote that makes it sound like bread and salt. There are women in my community and on this site (who I wrote this thread for) who don't get ANY community assistance and would be thrilled if they received a box of chicken on the bone. My kids get sick of it because it's 2 meals a day, 2/3 days in a row, broken up by some creativity.

I live in a city full of chessed and sadly there are too many people in need. There is no way in the world to provide red meat to everyone.

Chicken on the bone is a good, hearty, fleishig meal.

I didn’t make fun of it. Just it costs me personally less to serve cutlets than on the bone. I think that is fair for me to say. I know it for a fact from past experiences. I serve meals of both and the chicken on bone meals sometimes costs me more.

I have a ton of kids home tonight so I need a big supper. I’m making a ground beef supper that is going to cost me 8.50 total. Ppl could be upset how dare you serve red meat during the week. It’s barely costing me anything considering the number of mouths I’m feeding
. Should I apologize that I dare to serve red meat and we are gluttonous.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:48 am
amother Lawngreen wrote:

This is the most comical statement I've read in a while here. There is nothing wrong with eating chicken on the bone and many people would be thrilled to afford that for every meal.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:56 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
I didn’t make fun of it. Just it costs me personally less to serve cutlets than on the bone. I think that is fair for me to say. I know it for a fact from past experiences. I serve meals of both and the chicken on bone meals sometimes costs me more.

I have a ton of kids home tonight so I need a big supper. I’m making a ground beef supper that is going to cost me 8.50 total. Ppl could be upset how dare you serve red meat during the week. It’s barely costing me anything considering the number of mouths I’m feeding
. Should I apologize that I dare to serve red meat and we are gluttonous.

No. Seriously, reading comprehension please. I was commenting on the point that you said no one should have to eat chicken on the bone for financial reasons. Did I call you or anyone else a glutton? No. Did I question or comment on your spending habits? Also no. Did I take offense to your chicken on the bone comment? Which to me, read like "no one should have to live on bread and salt for financial reasons". YES that I took offense to.

the entire reason I made this thread was to normalize the beautiful Yomtov one can make if they can't afford red meat. Not to say that red meat at every meal is so important, one should take tzedakka for it.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics