Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
PSA: UGGS ARE LEATHER
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:05 am
Notsobusy wrote:
We grew up wearing sneakers or slippers. We also always checked before yom Kippur to make sure that what we were planning to wear didn't have any leather. I'm confused about all the people who don't check.

My daughter checked but only heard about leather, not suede 😉

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:05 am
imaima wrote:
I wore knitted sneakers, it’s convenient that there are so many kinds available now

My husband has been wearing the same canvas shoes for probably 30 years, it's not a new thing to wear sneakers...

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:07 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I think part of the problem is that we grew up hearing to wear slippers on YK.
My 14 yo put on her Ugg slippers after seudas hamafsekes and I'm so happy I noticed before she left for shul. She said she did look on it and it didn't say leather on it, so I explained what suede was. She was able to change before it was YK.

We grew up that we need to check any shoe to make sure it's not leather. Wearing leather shoes on yom kippur is assur d'oiraisa & not something to take lightly.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:08 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Suede is leather. I think that it's the first time I'm hearing of people not knowing that suade is leather.

octopus

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:09 am
There are imitation uggs that are completely synthetic.

amother
  Bubblegum

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:11 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Ok but she’s young. It’s astounding that adults don’t know this.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:13 am
amother OP wrote:
Suede is leather. I think that it's the first time I'm hearing of people not knowing that suade is leather.

She said that her dd is 14, it makes sense that she wouldn't know. I'm shocked at the adult women on imamother who don't know that suede is leather. Or that sheepskin is not wool. And the adults who apparently just wore comfortable shoes on yom Kippur without checking what they were made out of.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:18 am
amother OP wrote:
We made people aware about it in shul & they had to take their shoes off right then & there. One guy was arguing with DH that it's not leather.

Argued about what? Did he claim suede isn't leather?

synthy

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:32 am
I wore super nerdy fabric sneakers on Yom Kippur for a few years, until I saw on the inside that’s its upper leather. I checked online before buying and it said manmade, didn’t occur to me to check again when it arrived 😢

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:45 am
Way too hot to wear uggs here but I just checked and my off brand uggs are suede.

No wool though

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:50 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Argued about what? Did he claim suede isn't leather?

Claimed that uggs are not leather.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:44 pm
How do people not know that suede is leather??? What do you think it’s made of??

gamanit

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:51 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
Isn't suede leather?. Side note ..I check my uggs for shatnez. Bec they have wool lining

There is no need for that really as far as I know. Uggs are sheepskin which means that the inside is wool but it's not a blended fabric. I don't think there's a concern that they'd use linen thread because poly is cheaper and stronger.

watergirl  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 2:19 pm
gamanit wrote:
There is no need for that really as far as I know. Uggs are sheepskin which means that the inside is wool but it's not a blended fabric. I don't think there's a concern that they'd use linen thread because poly is cheaper and stronger.

https://jewishlink.news/only-s.....tnez/
The link is old. But there are some shatnez issues with older styles.

watergirl  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 2:21 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I think part of the problem is that we grew up hearing to wear slippers on YK.
My 14 yo put on her Ugg slippers after seudas hamafsekes and I'm so happy I noticed before she left for shul. She said she did look on it and it didn't say leather on it, so I explained what suede was. She was able to change before it was YK.

So funny. I grew up conservative but we always learned what the restrictions were (even if we had “rabbis” advising us to eat past bat mitzvah). I never heard to wear slippers, growing up everyone wore canvas shoes and then later, crocs.

Being a BT, I’m so fascinated hearing what FFBs dont learn in school.

amother
  Mocha

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 2:28 pm
watergirl wrote:
So funny. I grew up conservative but we always learned what the restrictions were (even if we had “rabbis” advising us to eat past bat mitzvah). I never heard to wear slippers, growing up everyone wore canvas shoes and then later, crocs.

We do learn it in school. Which is why it is so strange that people don't know this.

amother
  Bone

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 2:40 pm
watergirl wrote:

I learned about non leather shoes as an FFB in a B.Y. school. It was more of a wearing sneakers than wearing slippers emphasis in school, too, because you knew that canvas or fabric sneakers would work and slippers could be leather. Maybe little kids made projects that depicted the shoes looking like slippers and that is where the confusion comes from, but we were definitely taught all of the correct prohibitions down to tashmish hamitah (though tbh I don't remember how that was translated or explained when I was in elementary school. At some point I guess teachers gave a more specific translation or it clicked for us somehow).

I'm also puzzled that there seem to be so many who are unaware that Uggs are made of leather. Just by looking at the average Ugg boot or slipper, you can almost see the animal hide. I think the soles inside the boot are, too (that's why Uggs don't make your feet sweat the way boots made of synthetic materials do)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:26 pm
watergirl wrote:

We learned no leather shoes but all the preschool projects are making slippers 😉

My kids know to check. My 7 yo even questioned my toddlers shoes that he was wearing as regular and I reassured her I checked and his ($15 cat and jack target) shoes were not leather.

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:33 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
How do people not know that suede is leather??? What do you think it’s made of??

It doesn't occur to some people to ask. Which is why a PSA like this is helpful. I'm sure there are things that I consider obvious that you never even thought to wonder about.

(I did know that suede is leather and I don't have Uggs, but I also have the ability to understand that someone might simply be unaware.)

Simple1

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 4:03 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
I have fake ugg slippers also. They are still suede and leather.

I looked it up and you’re right. They are suede. I am surprised because most shoes at that price are synthetic. But either way, we’re good because they wore natives.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur