Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Do’s & donts of kitchen renovations
1  2  3  Next

bzmommy  

Post Sat, Oct 12 2024, 10:43 pm
We’re moving out of our apt with one bathroom and narrow kitchen . We’re really excited to get more space in our home and bathrooms!!
We would like to focus mainly on renovating the kitchen to make it spacious for the kids to come join inside the kitchen while cooking and baking .
Would like to hear about the must haves in your kitchens and things that were not necessary.
For example, ppl are telling us to add dishwasher - never used one and don’t want to take up precious space if it won’t be used much (hearing some ppl use n love n others barely used )
Also don’t want to spend so much . Want to really minimize costs n only only add /change what we need.

amother
Bergamot

Post Sat, Oct 12 2024, 10:56 pm
Dishwasher. Maybe a smaller one if it won't fill up so quickly, but it's a gamechanger for me!

tweety1  

Post Sat, Oct 12 2024, 11:48 pm
If you have the space for an appliance garage or appliance lift.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 12:13 am
For airy look but practical coloring, keep vertical surfaces light and horizontal surfaces darker and more practical. So floors keep dark, avoid glossy. Counters get something that'll be easy to clean/hide dirt, but cabinets and backsplash should be light.
I never had a dishwasher till we redid our kitchen and DH Insisted on it. I preferred more cabinet space, so dh said worst case if I don't like the dishwasher, I can use it to store stuff in it. Suffice it to say it washes a full load a minimum of twice a week.
Depending on your baking/cooking style, I preferred a huge pareve section and smaller milchig. I use it for baking. I also enjoy my two full size ovens, one parve and one fleishig.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 12:18 am
I get that you may not want to do this, but the best tip is to live with your new home's kitchen for a little while before deciding what to change.

tichellady  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 12:35 am
Can’t imagine not having a dishwasher!

amother
Cornsilk  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 12:37 am
I'm very happy with my laminate counters & backsplash & it's been a handful of years in a very busy kitchen. Definitely a good place to save because you can change them out at a later time if you want.

Get the largest sinks you can get your hands on. Make sure cabinets are deep & large. I've seen my share of nice kitchens with cabinets too small to storage larger items.

Yes to a dishwasher. Just do it don't overthink.

Try to have a separate seating area not just counter stools.

Some people like to have double fridge/ freezer.

tichellady

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 12:41 am
Hire a kitchen designer. They can really help you maximize the space

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 12:55 am
You want to know the reason people like or don't like what they are recommending so you can know if the same applies to your lifestyle.

I have 2 dishwashers and use them all the time but I knew that I would. I rarely use disposables. Others told me to put in a 2nd oven instead, but I rarely bake. I buy all baked goods.

Do you want less counter space and more table space? How many people will realistically be eating at the same time?

On deep sinks, I personally like them not as deep. I broke a few dishes from kids putting in stuff in a deeper sink and that hasn't happened in my average sized sink.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 5:13 am
I think you have to know yourself and your general lifestyle. Are you the type of person who loves cooking up a storm, do you bake a lot, do you use your stove or oven more, do you mainly do meat meals during the week etc?
Think about you and what you need/use. It doesn't help me saying I love my 2 ovens if you barely use 1 oven.

tf

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 5:49 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
Dishwasher. Maybe a smaller one if it won't fill up so quickly, but it's a gamechanger for me!

Depends how meticulous OP is with cleanliness. Dishwashers don't really scrub pots well. I also love love love my dishwasher but I'm not as meticulous as some people I know and they actually hate the dishwasher for the above reason.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 5:56 am
Dishwasher depends if you use alot of pots and dishes of one 'gender?'
I cook only meat in meaty, everything parve in parve and dairy dairy so for one meal I will have 2 parve and one meaty pot with a couple of meaty plates.
A dishwasher it's going to save me much dish washing time and will be half empty. besides for motzei Shabbos when all the dishes and some pots are meaty...

amother
Clover  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:41 am
What is your budget?

That is the most important thing because it willl determine exactly what you are able to do.

Kitchens are the most expensive room in the house per square foot - or tied with bathrooms.

With a small budget, realistically you are going to be very limited in terms of what you can do and will have to be very clear about what your priorities are.

It is very unlikely that you would be able to make major changes with a "small" budget

The best advice is to move in and see what works and doesn't work for you in terms of the existing condition. When you have lived in your home for at least six months you will be better able to determine what you want to do to improve your home.

I did a gut remodel and I spent a lot of time researching and I worked with a very good designer but what is the point of recommendations without knowing what is feasible for you.

If your budget is $5000 priorities would be very different than if you have a budget of $30,000

Also you aren't describing what the new kitchen is like? Is it functional but dated? Large or small? Does it have existing dishwasher? Are the appliances workable? Does it have a stove or wall ovens?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:54 am
amother Cornsilk wrote:

Try to have a separate seating area not just counter stools.

why?

imaima  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:55 am
bzmommy wrote:
We’re moving out of our apt with one bathroom and narrow kitchen . We’re really excited to get more space in our home and bathrooms!!
We would like to focus mainly on renovating the kitchen to make it spacious for the kids to come join inside the kitchen while cooking and baking .
Would like to hear about the must haves in your kitchens and things that were not necessary.
For example, ppl are telling us to add dishwasher - never used one and don’t want to take up precious space if it won’t be used much (hearing some ppl use n love n others barely used )
Also don’t want to spend so much . Want to really minimize costs n only only add /change what we need.

Dishwasher yes, better even 2.

imaima  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:57 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
For airy look but practical coloring, keep vertical surfaces light and horizontal surfaces darker and more practical. So floors keep dark, avoid glossy. Counters get something that'll be easy to clean/hide dirt, but cabinets and backsplash should be light.
I never had a dishwasher till we redid our kitchen and DH Insisted on it. I preferred more cabinet space, so dh said worst case if I don't like the dishwasher, I can use it to store stuff in it. Suffice it to say it washes a full load a minimum of twice a week.
Depending on your baking/cooking style, I preferred a huge pareve section and smaller milchig. I use it for baking. I also enjoy my two full size ovens, one parve and one fleishig.

What? Mine wash minimum 1 load once a day each, 7 people.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 9:06 am
I agree with the tip to move in first, redo your kitchen in a few months. I did that and I'm glad - I knew what I wanted to change by then.

*yes to dishwasher. I have one just for meat and I mainly use it after Shabbos, but so worth it.
*my kitchen came with one double sink. Awful. I put in two large sinks and it's great. I have my meat sink in the corner (I know some people are against that but I love it there) and dairy is under the window.
*love my granite/quartzite counters and tile backsplash
*I have an awesome pantry with swing out shelves revealing more shelves behind it. LOVE. So organized.
*two microwaves (meat and dairy) (DH loves this)
*cabinets that pull out (in my old kitchen I also had some big drawers. I like the cabinets better.)
*Oh and it takes up space but I LOVE my island. It's like I move around it as I work, with it being my center.

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 10:01 am
No lower cupboards, you need drawers! This is something I would never skimp on. Lower cupboards are cheaper but extremely annoying as they are deep. You will send up with lots of unused space in them and it's impossible to keep them neat.
No open shelves. Unless you love to dust, clean and organize shelves every week.
*Always* practicality before style and estethics.
Neutral colors, unless you plan to renovate every few years. Trendy things are in and very soon they are out of fashion.

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 10:03 am
Dishwasher will cut out use of disposables.

bzmommy  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:48 am
Wow!
So many responses .
Thank you all
A little background - kitchen is small and outdated . We’re thinking to break down the wall and make it an open kitchen , with an island in the middle , and right across will be the Shabbat table/dining room . My kids and I love to bake lots for Shabbat /chagim so will def be making use of our oven and need space to accommodate my little ones I use the oven mostly for dinners every night .
Thinking to go with a white kitchen as I think it’s classic but I’m hearing white is out . Is that really true ? Any other color ideas ?
I do like to keep the kitchen area neat and clean .
Looks like form all the responses here I’ll add dishwasher .
Also what counter is easy to kasher for pesach ?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries