Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What did you eat tonight?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 12:51 am
Broke fast on decaf green tea and Tanya muffin.
Later had a slice of lukshen kugel.
Even later some cashews and a crisp fresh gala apple.

Wish I could keep up this trend over the meat dessert pastries laden Sukkos...

No chance.

heidi

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:28 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
bagels and guacomole with egg salad yum.
dumb q, but since you cant prepare for after shabbos on shabbos did you all start preparing before your husbands came home from shul? how long after fast did u all break it?

I left right after maariv, took cookies and rugelach out of the freezer
Then turned on the oven for the garlic bread and put the soup on a burner
The fast ended at 6:47 and people had put something in their mouth by 7:05 after havdala

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:30 am
My husband grills after every fast except Tisha B’Av. I only fast Yom Kippur, and can’t fathom having much of anything. Incan or not, emunah or not, I just can’t. I read some of “the universal garden of emunah” today, that was my emunah.

Elfrida  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:33 am
Water
Strawberry smoothie
Scrambled eggs on toasted bagel.

Interesting to note from the comments here that rehydration drinks seem to be less popular at the moment.

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:56 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
bagels and guacomole with egg salad yum.
dumb q, but since you cant prepare for after shabbos on shabbos did you all start preparing before your husbands came home from shul? how long after fast did u all break it?

I had all food ready before Yom Kippur (tuna salad, Fresh salad, egg salad. Chummos, cut fruit.
my DH comes about 20 min. after Davening. (He blows Shofar and says Neila ( Chazzan). helped clean up shul, said Kiddush Levana) So my older son said Havdalla for us at home . Usually we will eat something before DH gets home, but last night we were ready when he came home. I also fry eggs for us. We eat light .

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 2:21 am
amother OP wrote:
I had hot decaf, a couple of biscotti, some coconut water and some oatmeal with chia seeds. Going to eat some blueberries and then hoping I can stop.

After that relatively moderate start I went on to eat 2 cookies, half an apple and a mini rx bar. This always happens.....

Ruchi  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 2:24 am
Honey cake and apple cake.
An hour later a proper seudah including challoh with Honey, fish, chicken soup, sweet carrots, farfel, chicken and compote. Besides the soup, everything was very small portions so that we shouldn't overstuff ourselves.

etky  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:00 am
A toasted bagel with cream cheese and a cup of caffeinated coffee. Lots of water, some diet cranberry juice and Pepsi Max. Before I went to sleep a handful of pretzels to ensure that I didn't feel hungry overnight.
I had the regular coffee and Pepsi Max to avoid a caffeine deprivation migraine which I am prone to after a fast.
The price was that I didn't sleep last night Sad

Elfrida

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:13 am
I never drink caffeine, and I didn't last night, and I couldn't sleep, either!

I'm blaming the very early morning, and the mid-afternoon nap, as well as the emotional stress of the day.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:26 am
Elfrida wrote:
I never drink caffeine, and I didn't last night, and I couldn't sleep, either!

I'm blaming the very early morning, and the mid-afternoon nap, as well as the emotional stress of the day.

Yeah, I'm sure those were contributing factors too.
B"h I fasted well this year, but I found the day so emotionally taxing.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 6:19 am
amother OP wrote:
I had hot decaf, a couple of biscotti, some coconut water and some oatmeal with chia seeds. Going to eat some blueberries and then hoping I can stop.

Had a coffee some marble cake and an hour later 2 slices of pizza

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 6:31 am
Honey cake, shnitzel, pasta, and tea. And lots of water.

What is with this post fast insomnia?? I've been up since 3 AM and I'm STARVING. Looking forward to my coffee today!

dankbar  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 7:27 am
I first broke my fast on low carb or protein stuff, not on sugary or carby stuff so sugar levels shouldn't skyrocket. BTW that's why people don't feel well when breaking fast, body shuts down the insulin production during fasting ad then gets overwhelmed with breaking fast, like when peoples start with orange juice and cake. Unless your sugars are very low then you need a quick sugar spike.

Started with Vita water zero, hb egg, string cheese, coffee with Splenda, low carb cheese snack, baby corn.

Then much later I served my family a full fledged seuda.

Challah with honey, salmon and gefilte, chicken or cream of chicken soup with square noodles and kreplach. Schnitzel. Pasta. Farfel. broccoli kugel. Apple cherry strawberry compote.

Shuly  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:38 am
Spelt roll with cream cheese
Vegetable soup
brownies and decaf coffee

Btw, I'm seeing a pattern here - those who serve square noodles in the chicken soup (is the shape for a specific reason?) also serve farfel and also serve compote.

synthy

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:53 am
Shuly wrote:
Vegetable soup

Btw, I'm seeing a pattern here - those who serve square noodles in the chicken soup (is the shape for a specific reason?) also serve farfel and also serve compote.
Regular noodles are thin, which in Yiddish is דין. So I don’t know why we serve davka square but the point is Hashem shouldn’t judge us with middas ha’din.

(Anyone else’s family call it סקווירא לאקשען?)

Ruchi

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 9:32 am
synthy wrote:
Regular noodles are thin, which in Yiddish is דין. So I don’t know why we serve davka square but the point is Hashem shouldn’t judge us with middas ha’din.

(Anyone else’s family call it סקווירא לאקשען?)

Or קאצקער לאקשען?

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 10:57 am
Ruchi wrote:
Or קאצקער לאקשען?

Kutzka, meaning square. Like Kutzka tzikker.
So that means skvere and kutzker are a play on words?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:03 am
I made my own havdala, then had a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats, some electrolyte drink, and chocolate covered espresso beans. When DH cane home he made havdala and then we had pita, chicken paprikash with brown rice, leftover cholent from YK day for DC, and chocolate covered espresso beans.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:21 am
I couldn't sleep either. That's part of why all the snacking.

I start every motzai fast saying I am not hungry for a real meal. Next thing I know, I am "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." The silly thing is, we had seuda leftovers (chicken soup w shredded chicken and veggies, quinoa, roasted squash, stringbeans, chicken, compote) sitting in my fridge. Not any harder than making oatmeal for me and Dd2, heating up zuchinni soup for Dd1, and eating all those cookies and biscotti.

dankbar  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:44 am
Shuly wrote:
Vegetable soup

These are traditional Hungarian cuisine, square noodles is a minhag in tishrei as someone explained, farfel is also a minhag, that aveiros should be farfallen in Yiddish means like lost and gone. So I serve it , rh, erev and motzei yom kippur. Hoshana rabba. It's also served regularly on shabbos for some reason as minhag. So people do their traditional Hungarian shabbos food, to keep the menu simple and not fancy like potato kugel. Compote is the simple go to dessert in Hugarian cuisine which is served on shabbos. Every traditional dish for shabbos and yom tov has a reason for the minhag, and it resembles the cuisine of the country the Yidden resided in then.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note