Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Help me find a community...
Previous  1  2

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Yesterday at 7:27 pm
Few tweaks, I'm pretty sure there may be houses starting at 400 in Amberley. Roselawn you can get starting at 250.
CHDS staff daycare is not a guarantee for staff, I don't want false hopes.

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Thu, Oct 10 2024, 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Yesterday at 7:29 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
should warn you though that 5th grade girls doesn't exist in chds and I think OTC's not accepting for that grade. Someone moved to town recently but they pushed her up to 6th and I think it's working out.

Not that that grade doesn't exist but that this year there's no class for that age due to multiple factors.

amother
  Aster

Post Yesterday at 7:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you tell me about Cleveland? What is it like living there?
What are prices on houses looking like? What would you wish would change?

I’m sorry I don’t live there so I don’t think I’m the right person to answer this - but I do have a few close friends here and it seems to meet your criteria based on what they’ve said

amother
Gladiolus

Post Yesterday at 7:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you tell me about Cleveland? What is it like living there?
What are prices on houses looking like? What would you wish would change?

I'm from Cleveland.

Houses are hard to find but generally run $250,000 (very low end in cheaper neighborhood) to $450,000 (bigger and/or updated). You can find houses for even more than that if you would be looking in that range.

Cleveland really does sound like what you are looking for based on what you wrote in your OP.

What do I wish we could change.... that's a great question... I think the things that are the best parts of the city are also their downfalls. It's a pretty relaxed city when it comes to traffic/driving, lifestyle etc but that means everyone is at home sleeping by 9:30 (I'm being only slightly dramatic). Things are closed early. There aren't many choices when it comes to frum amenities. I think we have everything we need here but I always like more choices and options.... it improves with a little competition thrown in the mix. Along with the relaxed attitudes, comes lower salaries. It is normal and not embarrassing to live off programs, skimp and save, women work very part time, husbands learning or being a rebbe. I don't think that's your crowd (not my crowd) but it is a prevalent attitude. It has its pros and cons.

amother
Honey

Post Yesterday at 7:55 pm
familyfirst wrote:
Silver spring, Maryland

But houses could get expensive

Tuition and housing are very expensive in ss. But otherwise has much of what you are looking for.

amother
  Lightcoral  

Post Yesterday at 8:04 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
I'm from Cleveland.

Houses are hard to find but generally run $250,000 (very low end in cheaper neighborhood) to $450,000 (bigger and/or updated). You can find houses for even more than that if you would be looking in that range.

Cleveland really does sound like what you are looking for based on what you wrote in your OP.

What do I wish we could change.... that's a great question... I think the things that are the best parts of the city are also their downfalls. It's a pretty relaxed city when it comes to traffic/driving, lifestyle etc but that means everyone is at home sleeping by 9:30 (I'm being only slightly dramatic). Things are closed early. There aren't many choices when it comes to frum amenities. I think we have everything we need here but I always like more choices and options.... it improves with a little competition thrown in the mix. Along with the relaxed attitudes, comes lower salaries. It is normal and not embarrassing to live off programs, skimp and save, women work very part time, husbands learning or being a rebbe. I don't think that's your crowd (not my crowd) but it is a prevalent attitude. It has its pros and cons.

I feel like that in cincinnati as well. Aldi closes at like 8 or something super early like that!

my daughter felt like she was the odd one out when free lunches were given based on income because we didn't qualify and I didn't want to pay. a girl in her class was like it's free for everyone, there's this program just tell your parents to sign up. my daughter was like it's not free for me. trust me I know. it sometimes feels like the norm is for your kids to be on medicaid so it's kind of like the expectation and it's the exception if you don't.

the school got a therapist to come through an outside program. In the e-mail they wrote
"How much does it cost?

Services are free for those on Medicaid.

If you don't have Medicaid, Kids Thrive does accept other insurances such as Aetna, Anthem, Buckeye, Humana, Molina and UHC and will charge your standard MH charges (copays etc.). "

I would have preferred if they had said something more neutral like this therapist takes all insurance including medicaid, instead of "services are free" being the first thing you see which might get you all excited. .... and then seeing oh only for those on medicaid, not for us. the same thing when ACE was income based....

there's a food program before y"t that's only for people in klei kodesh... so many of the kids in my daughter's class was talking about all the snacks... they'll be getting and she came home asking what's moadim l'simcha, why are all my friends talking about it and I had to explain to her what it was and how we don't qualify.

things like that.

amother
  Fern  

Post Yesterday at 8:08 pm
Every community isn't perfect, just make the right decision for your family!

amother
  Lightcoral  

Post Yesterday at 8:11 pm
I wasn't bashing cincinnati. I am the one who recommended it for op to begin with Wink
I'm just trying to give her a full picture.

amother
  Lightcoral

Post Yesterday at 8:11 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Not that that grade doesn't exist but that this year there's no class for that age due to multiple factors.

correct, sorry if that wasn't clear.

amother
Calendula

Post Today at 10:30 am
There are 2 schools In Cleveland that aren't MO.

One is absolutely not for you if you want gifted program and education and encouragement for kids to become professionals. Its a great school, and my kids and I are happy there, but it doesn't meet your qualifications.

Not sure about the other school.

amother
IndianRed

Post Today at 11:11 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

The 3 main shuls in the area are CZE, Golf Manor, and Shaarei Torah and there's a lot of overlap between the shuls as people are just happy to not be confined to a box.

As someone who has lived in Cincinnati for over a decade, I just want to highlight this, as it is a very nice aspect of the community. We belong to Shaarei Torah, the MO shul, but my kids have friends at all three shuls and so do my husband and I.

Also, I will add that there are significant numbers of BTs and geirim in Cincinnati, and therefore virtually no stigma around it, at least not that DH and I have experienced.

Non-frum or non-Jewish grandparents and other extended family can come to school events or to the park or to the camp play performance dressed in regular clothes and people are friendly to them and nobody makes it weird. That is really big in my book.

amother
  Fern

Post Today at 12:11 pm
So true. I have a friend who has kids struggling with Yiddiskeit and they came here to visit and the kids couldn't get over how everyone in Cincinnati was so accepting. I have friends from all walks of life here and I didn't have any in the place I lived before.

ValleyMom

Post Today at 12:27 pm
what about Columbus Ohio? It's a small community with several shul options nd a very nice school.
The shuls are also very active and have nice family style events as well as youth groups atthe shul.

tryinghard

Post Today at 1:02 pm
Rochester matches most criteria on your list except vouchers - but the elementary tuition is a total of 10k per family, regardless of the number of kids in the school.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating