Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
S/O Torani Merkaz community
Previous  1  2

Reality

Post Today at 3:38 am
DrMom wrote:
Is this a typo, or does "greasy" mean something other than "covered with or resembling an oily substance?"

It's not a typo. It's a horrible slang term for a super yeshivish person.

shabbatiscoming

Post Today at 3:44 am
amother OP wrote:
My husband has many friends in Israel but he has veered more to the right and they to the left over time ... most of his friends align somewhere within the DL to Chardal crowd.

He has friends in RBS but I don't feel that it's where we would quite fit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there really is still no JPF community in Israel for the typical American Frum family as of yet.

We watch YouTube and the like, but it's definitely not a focus.

English and secular studies are important to me .

We definitely align with a strong Torah community.

Why not? Everything you describe is exactly what rbs is for so many.

amother
Oak

Post Today at 3:59 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why not? Everything you describe is exactly what rbs is for so many.

Agreed, when I read OPs post I literally thought “classic RBS” 😂
Especially as more Olim are moving there, there is more room for the more chilled out American, open minded, Charedi type which isn’t really a thing with Israeli Charedim, which tends to be more close minded.
I’m not from the Charedi world so it could be I’m totally off but that is my impression

Dev80

Post Today at 4:24 am
Agree about RBS - especially RBS gimmel. Such great and similar minded people who live there. You can also land there and figure it out after a year or two.

amother
Firebrick

Post Today at 5:25 am
OP you’re now charedi lite. We were when we came, now we’re more chardal and I’d love to move to a different community. Who you are now is colored by chu”l you may change when you come and join a new culture and environment.

amother
Diamond

Post Today at 9:19 am
amother Firebrick wrote:
OP you’re now charedi lite. We were when we came, now we’re more chardal and I’d love to move to a different community. Who you are now is colored by chu”l you may change when you come and join a new culture and environment.

This. Whether you would realize it or not, you are the way you are and you dress the way you dress because this is what your community is like right now where you live right now.

You may not realize how much of what you consider. Who you are is truly important to you and how much is you fitting into the community or in now that you prefer now.

The key is to think about which values are most important to you. How do you feel about things like secular education and culture and the army. And pick a community that aligns as close as possible to the values that mean the most to you. The values you want to have at the end.

If the people who share the values in the way of life you want to raise your children are we are a different type of head covering, you're going to want to change to look like them. You're not going to want to be the American JPF in a different community, (unless you want to go the Anglo-RBS route and not fully integrate).

At the end you want to be happy, proud and aligned with the community you joined in their biggest values. You want to be happy with, who you became and who your children are going to become.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 9:41 am
Thank you all.

You have all been very helpful with your replies.

I'm going to do some more research but you have all really given me food for thought in a positive way.

justforfun87  

Post Today at 9:57 am
How do you feel about army service? I am not YET Israeli but my understanding is that is really where they draw the line with these labels. Also, Afula is an up and coming Anglo community that sounds just like your style in addition to RBS. To me you are American yeshivish.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 11:21 am
justforfun87 wrote:
How do you feel about army service? I am not YET Israeli but my understanding is that is really where they draw the line with these labels. Also, Afula is an up and coming Anglo community that sounds just like your style in addition to RBS. To me you are American yeshivish.

Yes, thank you. American Yeshivish is more likely the right term.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 11:28 am
justforfun87 wrote:

Thank you for bringing this up...

I'm trying to understand this better. My FIL became an Israeli citizen back in the 80's. My husband although born in the USA lived his first few years in Israel. On his own my husband made Aliyah in his late teens but moved back to the USA in his twenties and has been in the USA since.... My husband never did army service and got a Patur.

Where does all this put my kids in terms of army service? If I understand correctly, my husband automatically became an Israeli citizen because his father was a citizen - is this correct? If not, then for sure when my husband made Aliyah he became an Israeli citizen.... If say my children retain their American citizenship, without officially becoming Israeli citizens, would they automatically be Israeli citizens because my husband is? And therefore be required to do service?

.....it's all very confusing to me

justforfun87

Post Today at 11:33 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for bringing this up...

I'm trying to understand this better. My FIL became an Israeli citizen back in the 80's. My husband although born in the USA lived his first few years in Israel. On his own my husband made Aliyah in his late teens but moved back to the USA in his twenties and has been in the USA since.... My husband never did army service and got a Patur.

Where does all this put my kids in terms of army service? If I understand correctly, my husband automatically became an Israeli citizen because his father was a citizen - is this correct? If not, then for sure when my husband made Aliyah he became an Israeli citizen.... If say my children retain their American citizenship, without officially becoming Israeli citizens, would they automatically be Israeli citizens because my husband is? And therefore be required to do service?

.....it's all very confusing to me

This is something that the Jewish Agency or NBN will clear up as they see this often. You can call them and just ask. When I bring up the army issue I meant do you feel like as a Jew living in Israel your children should physically defend the land/Jewish people. It is up to you to decide and if you don't believe in army service you would align with the charedi sector in Israel. I personally believe that our children should serve despite how painful and scary that is so I align more with Torani.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 11:50 am
From all the posts, I'm understanding that I definitely belong to the Chareidi sector - question is though, where within the Chareidi sector.

If someone can explain Chareidi lite or open Chareidi more I'd appreciate it. What's the difference between say these specific 2? What neighborhoods align with this? Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions